Anyone else watched Triangle, what a great film **spoilers**

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else seen this film, got this for a fiver on blu ray before xmas, great film, great picture quality, one of these films Christopher Nolan could have easy written.

***Spoilers***

Loved the way at the end you realise that the escence of the film is that Jessica is in purgatory going around and around in a loop trying to stop her son and herself from being killed after she promished her son she would be a better parent. Love the way the taxi driver was like her guardian offering to take her around again in the loop.

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this film earlier on in 2010 after it being recommended by someone on this forum. It was great. I think it's the best of that type of movie since memento which I also loved. I agree the PQ is stunning aswell. And yes if only Christopher Nolan had taken inception down this kind of route.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it was pretty good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this film earlier on in 2010 after it being recommended by someone on this forum. It was great. I think it's the best of that type of movie since memento which I also loved. I agree the PQ is stunning aswell. And yes if only Christopher Nolan had taken inception down this kind of route.

Fully agree, triangle was as good as memento, agree about inception, a film that promised so much but went out like a damp squib.I thought triangle was just going to be some average horror film but it was a lot more deeper then that with a proper ending that left the viewer in no doubt as to what had happened and what the film was really about.
    Only bought it because it was dirt cheap and had Milissa George in, best fiver I have spent in a while :D
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Good to see threads still popping up on this great film - as others have said, if only Inception had been anywhere near as good as Triangle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Good to see threads still popping up on this great film - as others have said, if only Inception had been anywhere near as good as Triangle.

I think the whole concept of inception was good but it was too slow and became too complex and of course the big thing was the ending or lack of a real answer.

The thing with triangle is it gives you the answer even though it may be in the last scene of the film, of course you still needed to follow it closely to realise exactly what happened at the end and the extras comfirmed the ending if you were still unsure. Something Nolan should have done with inception, at least given his take on what the ending meant so those who wanted to know what he was trrying to achieve could have listend to him, he did this in memento even though it was vague it still gave the viewer hints as to what had happened or enabled the viewer to at least understand the concept of the film and to have enough information as to make their own minds up on the "lie, no lie" scenario.
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interesting points, made here

I always assumed it was purgatory, like others said but find it interesting that originally, there was to be a direct reference to it being in the bermuda triangle and the director settled on calling the yacht triangle instead

this in itself lends credence to the idea of hellish time loop
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    interesting points, made here

I always assumed it was purgatory, like others said but find it interesting that originally, there was to be a direct reference to it being in the bermuda triangle and the director settled on calling the yacht triangle instead

this in itself lends credence to the idea of hellish time loop

It was a loop Jessica could not really avoid, each time the taxi driver asked her if she wanted to go around again and each time she said yes even though she would never save herself and her son from being killed, she had no memory of what had happened each time so had no way of knowing she could never save herself and her son. A never ending loop of hell that she would play out for eternity, stuck in purgatory forever, never being able to move on to the afterlife. And I suppose eternal punishment for being a bad mother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Yeah I watched this but just expected some average horror flick. I thought parts of it were quite predictable, but it's probably one of the most underrated and worthwhile horror/thriller films to come out in a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    interesting film. It was only in the last few minutes that it fell apart. Having all those dead birds there but no evidence of any previous car crashes didn't make sense, not to me anyway.

If you enjoyed the film, check out Timecrimes. It's shown on film4 sometimes and also plays with time and interaction in the same way. I preferred it to Triangle but given how similar the ideas are, it seems people tend to prefer whichever of the two they saw first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revans9 wrote: »
    interesting film. It was only in the last few minutes that it fell apart. Having all those dead birds there but no evidence of any previous car crashes didn't make sense, not to me anyway.

It was in the last few minutes the storyline was revelaed. All the hoards of dead birds, dead people e.t.c was the clue that she had done this many times.
    If they had shown the car crash more then once the film would have been ruined as the crux of the show was the fact her and her son had died and she was going around in an endless loop trying to stop that happening but never could.
    For those who were confused about any of it then its worth watching the extras where the writer explains the film and clears up any unanswered questions.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't rate it higher than Inception but it's an interesting little film nonetheless. Unlike most films in this genre, this one stayed on my mind for a while after watching. I found the whole scenario quite creepy and there was some pretty cinematography as well. I think I'll give it another watch soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was in the last few minutes the storyline was revelaed. All the hoards of dead birds, dead people e.t.c was the clue that she had done this many times.
    If they had shown the car crash more then once the film would have been ruined as the crux of the show was the fact her and her son had died and she was going around in an endless loop trying to stop that happening but never could.

Exactly. There wasn't any evidence of other crashes as it would have spoiled the flow of the story but it should have been there along with the piles of birds and bodies. There were various examples in the film where this occurred, where there should have been multiple examples of something but it was left out for story purposes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revans9 wrote: »
    Exactly. There wasn't any evidence of other crashes as it would have spoiled the flow of the story but it should have been there along with the piles of birds and bodies. There were various examples in the film where this occurred, where there should have been multiple examples of something but it was left out for story purposes.

Its a balancing act, letting the viewer know enough to give them a clue to whats happening without runining the end of the film.

Great film that was done perfectly in my view.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Bought the DVD before Christmas.....but only got round to watching the film last night......I`ll watch the extra`s this evening.....but I enjoyed the film.....and it`s good to see some positive comments in this thread.

I remember reading a fare few comments from FM`s when the film was released who did`t quite "get it".....but I did....and the purgatory comments in this thread are also enlightening.....and a very adept description of the never ending cycle the main character found herself in.
  • kdog2010kdog2010 Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I thought it was terrible. TOTAL rip off of the far superior Time Crimes (2007) - check that movie out if you liked Triange, and see where all the ideas came from!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if she can ever get out of purgatory?
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Triangle is very good. Gets a 9/10 from me.

I also watched TimeCrimes a few weeks ago and found it mind-numbinglay awful. Totally unsympathetic and utterly irrational main character doing things that largely didn't make sense in any context whatsoever. Badly written and poorly directed too. 2/10

It has a few similarities to Triangle, but not enough to say that Triangle was based on it. Just for the record - Chris Smith started to write Triangle way back in 2005, while TimeCrimes was released in 2007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    I wonder if she can ever get out of purgatory?

Doubt it, never ending loop, in some ways she was being punished for being a bad mother. The extras are worth watching (ensure you have watched the film first as they contant many spoilers) some great insights into the film, the ideas and opinions of what it wa all about.
    Extras will fill in many missing blanks for those who maybe did not fully understand what happened.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Anyone else seen this film, got this for a fiver on blu ray before xmas, great film, great picture quality, one of these films Christopher Nolan could have easy written.

***Spoilers***

Loved the way at the end you realise that the escence of the film is that Jessica is in purgatory going around and around in a loop trying to stop her son and herself from being killed after she promished her son she would be a better parent. Love the way the taxi driver was like her guardian offering to take her around again in the loop.

IMO the taxi driver wasnt a guardian, he was Charon. The film has hints of ancient greek mythology in terms of the afterlife. For example the ship name.

People who didnt pay the boatman charon before passing into the afterlife would be doomed to wander around pergatory for ever. She didnt pay him. He asks for the fare pretty much when he says he'll leave it running and asks if she's going to com back and pay. Thats all she has to do to get out of the loop LOL

She died in the car crash IMO, thats why she gets out without a scratch and is just standing there, its her soul Then Charon arrives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maya55 wrote: »
    IMO the taxi driver wasnt a guardian, he was Charon. The film has hints of ancient greek mythology in terms of the afterlife. For example the ship name.

People who didnt pay the boatman charon before passing into the afterlife would be doomed to wander around pergatory for ever. She didnt pay him. He asks for the fare pretty much when he says he'll leave it running and asks if she's going to com back and pay. Thats all she has to do to get out of the loop LOL

She died in the car crash IMO, thats why she gets out without a scratch and is just standing there, its her soul Then Charon arrives.

Think she was being punished for what she had done to her son, think the loop was never ending with no way out.
    The extras that come with the film on blu ray (not sure if they are on the DVD version), had the producers talking about what was happening.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think she was being punished for what she had done to her son, think the loop was never ending with no way out.
    I've not seen the extras, but it doesn't seem like much of a punishment.
    Especially as she forgets, so she doesn't have the sense of endlessly and hopelessly repeating.

She starts by having a nice nap in the small boat. Then she has a vague sense of deja vu. She spends some time exploring, figuring things out, planning and fighting, but she doesn't get hurt much. Then she has a long swim, which I guess is gruelling, but at this point she thinks she can escape and definitely has hope. Then she goes home to her son and tries to make good her getaway. Then she has the accident and wanders around in a daze for a while, before getting on the small boat and having a nap.

It doesn't that bad to me. It's an adventure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I've not seen the extras, but it doesn't seem like much of a punishment.
    Especially as she forgets, so she doesn't have the sense of endlessly and hopelessly repeating.

She starts by having a nice nap in the small boat. Then she has a vague sense of deja vu. She spends some time exploring, figuring things out, planning and fighting, but she doesn't get hurt much. Then she has a long swim, which I guess is gruelling, but at this point she thinks she can escape and definitely has hope. Then she goes home to her son and tries to make good her getaway. Then she has the accident and wanders around in a daze for a while, before getting on the small boat and having a nap.

It doesn't that bad to me. It's an adventure.

It appears you saw a different film from me, what she went through in the film was far from an adventure it was a nightmare for her.
    The producers as well as Melissa George sum it all up well in the extras (and commentry tracks if my memory serves me right) including discussing the hell she was going through each time she looped.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent film. Melissa George in those little shorts too... wowser :o
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The extras that come with the film on blu ray (not sure if they are on the DVD version), had the producers talking about what was happening.

that's what I thought too , it's great watching the beginning once it's over cos you notice all the odd things that now make sense .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member

***Spoilers***

i know theres a thread on this on here, but i watched Triangle last night ( again), and i realied this morning about the ending, then i got it :D ( there was 3 loops), Triangle has 3 sides to it, and the yacht was called Triangle..It needs afew watches to it :p