BT NetProtect Plus replacing Norton Anti-Virus

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    For anyone reading this thread... do yourself a favour..

Don't install anything BT insist upon. do the research on the web yourself. these muppets haven't a clue.
  • PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    BT Support wrote: »
    Hi Gianni,

I does sound like the problem you had with the response time was down to the Norton anti virus not being removed correctly if you try this link,

Click Here

You will find a link to our support section where you can find some advise on how to get around this issue.

Thanks

Patrick

Link says:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /cgi-bin/bt.cfg/scripts/enduser/cci/bt_navmenu.php on line 59
    Error. Please try again later
  • BT SupportBT Support Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Hey PeterB

Sorry the link isn’t working. Try this instead; http://tiny.cc/vJhBE

Thanks

Fionnuala
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had to do a windows re-install and have found that I am now unable to download and install Net protect plus?
    I have had an email with the code to get the free download but when I accept the End user licencse, I get to a page that says

The page cannot be displayed (500-100)
    There has been a system error and this page is not currently available. McAfee.com Technical Support has been notified of the problem.

Please check back again later. If the problem has not resolved, please contact McAfee.com Customer Support.

What are you looking for at McAfee?
    McAfee Homepage
    McAfee Service Information
    Support
    Return to the Previous Page
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i gather there has been question marks on the security of the system (wireless) and there has been serious bleed over in range of there wireless networks.
    one person i know says he was getting serious problems with BT wireless and the lack of security meant that illegal users was useing his wireless BT connection.
    I gather BT claim that they have plunged up the problem with a new "wall" which is they claim more secure ?
    mmmm claims are one thing proof is another.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Does this software support Windows 7 64 bit?
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After an update last night I now see that BT Netprotect McAfee now has a new look.
    Dose this mean that BT has given us all a new verson of McAfee.

Darren
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else find that BT Netprotect McAfee makes your PC run a little slow?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used Mcafee for about fourteen years always protected my PC and even been on the Beta test and I was glad that BT went in that direction good move.

Regards Satdude. :cool:
  • Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Does anyone else find that BT Netprotect McAfee makes your PC run a little slow?

Not particularly, but it has allowed viruses to infect my laptop on three different occasions the past 6 months. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »

Mine went really slow when i installed it, i uninstalled it and went back to using the Microsoft security essentials
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    roland69 wrote: »
    Mine went really slow when i installed it, i uninstalled it and went back to using the Microsoft security essentials

Ditto. I'm sticking with essentials. I've never got on with Norton, McAfee they always slow things to a crawl. I used Kasperski for a long time but that got a bit bloated as well.

Occasionally I will have a purge and scan using different programmes as some pickup things others miss. And I never use the Windows firewall as the routers own firewall should do the job just as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I lost confidence in NetProtect when it allowed a trojan (which had been around for months) into a friend's PC. It then prevented the running of the commands necessary to remove the trojan. There is no way to create a bootable recovery CD and support was non-existent.

Security Essentials is excellent..
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like this thread has answered the question I was going to ask - is it worth installing BT NetProtect Plus which I can get for free with BT Infinity.

The answer seems to be a resounding no. I think I'll stick with Avast, thank you very much.

Seems a bit cheeky BT saying my PC is not protected until I download this - how do they know what I have installed already?
  • plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Looks like this thread has answered the question I was going to ask - is it worth installing BT NetProtect Plus which I can get for free with BT Infinity.

The answer seems to be a resounding no. I think I'll stick with Avast, thank you very much.

Seems a bit cheeky BT saying my PC is not protected until I download this - how do they know what I have installed already?

Whatever their reasons (monitor you?), it makes sense to a provider of any service or product, to bind you to their company so they can more likely keep you. These "added value" things are sometimes worthwhile, so I wouldn't knock everything given supposedly free.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »

I think i will too, I worked until recently for an organisation with McAfee installed on the PCs, it took them 5 minutes to boot up - even after a re-build.

I've not heard many good things about McAfee.
  • battlezonebattlezone Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisj59 wrote: »
    Does this software support Windows 7 64 bit?

Got it on my W7 64 bit Laptop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    After installing BT Net Protect Plus for free, it has reduced my laptop to such a crawl that I cannot even get the simplest of tasks done (I have to beg to use a friend's computer now)

I also was instructed upon install to delete all Norton programmes and files and now I got nothing that can be used at all.

BT were absolutely no help over the telephone insisting this is actually my fault (or my laptop's)
    Funny how it was working perfectly well when the BT engineer came to set up Infinity and now one day later after installing Net Protect Plus this happens........I am distraught!
    Forum Member
    can anyone advise me what to do please?

is it as simple as just un-installing BT Net Protect Plus?
    I won't have any AV software then (they caused me to delete my Norton files)
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can anyone advise me what to do please?

is it as simple as just un-installing BT Net Protect Plus?
    I won't have any AV software then (they caused me to delete my Norton files)

For the record, it's not you or your laptop - it's crap software.

I abandoned Net Protect Plus for the same performance reasons and just use MSE. Assuming your PC is running windows, and it's a genuine version of windows not a pirate copy then I'd just stick with that.

There are many threads here already debating the different anti virus packages so if you want to work out which is "best" then I'd look through those, but I've had no problems with MSE.

It's not the performance hog that net protect Plus(McAffee) is and it's still free

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials

so
    1) download the right version of MSE for your PC (either 32 or 64 bit) <<how to tell>>
    2) uninstall netprotect plus
    3) reboot
    4) ignore all the whining messages about your PC being unprotected
    5) install Microsoft Security Essentials
    6) Run a full scan (this will take a while) and set up a schedule so it scans once a week say. You can limit the CPU use it will take via the settings, so that the scan doesn't slow you down - but obviously that will make the scan take longer.

From what I recall Net Protect plus leaves behind the browser plug in (bit that adds the warning about dodgy sites) - and you'll need to uninstall that (if you want it gone) manually from your browser add ins / extensions, though it's no big issue either way
    Forum Member
    I really needed a simple explanation.
    Will attempt to do this on Sunday and get back to you with a report.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ardee wrote: »
    I got rid of McAfee and am trying Avast, which has restored the PC to normal working. AVG free seems to be just as bloated and slow as the others now.

Very sensible. A free combo such as Avast, a great firewall like Comodo, and Malwarebytes on demand scanner, will knock spots off Norton and McAfee, and won't slow your PC down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I took platelets advise and deleted netplus and I cant beleive the difference
    my comp running a lot smoother now
    Laserline
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laserline wrote: »
    I took platelets advise and deleted netplus and I cant beleive the difference
    my comp running a lot smoother now
    Laserline

glad to help
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I installed Netprotect on the day of my BT Infinity going live and by the night-time had it uninstalled. It slowed my Duo Core down to a crawl. Reinstalled Comodo Firewall and MSE.