HELP WANTED - Regarding recordings of Michael Barrymore

BarrymorefanBarrymorefan Posts: 66
Forum Member
I am currently looking for recordings of Michael Barrymore. I am looking for his appearances on My Kind Of People, Barrymore on Broadway, My Kind of Music, Barrymore, Kids Say The Funniest Things, Bob Martin Strike it Lucky or any other recordings. If anyone on here has an old Vhs tape that contains a Barrymore show on them, would you be willing to part with or copy them, I will pay good money for recordings of Michael Barrymore shows from the 80s, 90s and 2000s. Please help.

Comments

• sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should try gumtree or preloved which are second hand sites you need to posted in the wanted section.
  • waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I think you're a "researcher" doing a Channel 4/5 hatchet job on Barrymore? (Joined yesterday?) Bit of a lazy way to earn your living!
  • sillygirl123sillygirl123 Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    I have his autograph if you want it - on a programme when I saw him in Nottingham Theatre Royal in the '80s
  • Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was Barrymore who came up with the original idea for the reality show "Splash"
  • BarrymorefanBarrymorefan Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I have his autograph if you want it - on a programme when I saw him in Nottingham Theatre Royal in the '80s

I'd love to take that off your hands, how much are you looking for? I'll give you a good price.
    Forum Member
    waz101 wrote: »
    Why do I think you're a "researcher" doing a Channel 4/5 hatchet job on Barrymore? (Joined yesterday?) Bit of a lazy way to earn your living!

I'm just a fan of Michael Barrymore and I want to see some of his old shows again, it's been a long time!
  • Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just a fan of Michael Barrymore and I want to see some of his old shows again, it's been a long time!

No where near long enough though,

He always was a talentless tosser
    Forum Member
    I disagree, he was very popular in his day and was the king of Itv. He was adored by all generations and had the ability to make people laugh. I'm sure your opinion would be totally different if the Lubbock incident hadn't have happened.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fat Buddha wrote: »
    It was Barrymore who came up with the original idea for the reality show "Splash"

:o:(
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine wouldn't
    Always a smug nasty individual.
    His "comedy" consisted of ripping the pee out of people who could not answer back

Vile man thankfully no longer invading our screens
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could never stand him even before the Lubbock business.

A comic who made his living using audience members as a part of his act and humiliating them onstage.

Still, each to his own.....;)
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could never stand him even before the Lubbock business.

A comic who made his living using audience members as a part of his act and humiliating them onstage.

Still, each to his own.....;)

If the Lubbock business hadn't happened, would he still be around today?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    If the Lubbock business hadn't happened, would he still be around today?

Even if it hadn't, I think his style of comedy would be considered outdated these days and he wouldn't be on TV any more.
  • puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    michael barrymore was A HUGE star, you cannot take that away from him , you cant rewrite history with the justification that you never liked him anyway, he WAS top of his game for years and this country ADORED HIM
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Mine wouldn't
    Always a smug nasty individual.
    His "comedy" consisted of ripping the pee out of people who could not answer back

Vile man thankfully no longer invading our screens

I remember the video that circulated of him taking the mic out of Susan Boyle whilst she was singing surfaced
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    michael barrymore was A HUGE star, you cannot take that away from him , you cant rewrite history with the justification that you never liked him anyway, he WAS top of his game for years and this country ADORED HIM

You could say the same of Hitler in Germany!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Er, was I talking about 'rewriting history'? He's a comedian (well, in the eyes of some :D) not a national figure. I don't happen to like him or his style of comedy which was based on the humiliation of audience members . So sue me. :D

As I said, even if the Lubbock affair hadn't happened, I doubt he'd be on TV today as his act and comedy style are out dated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could say the same of Hitler in Germany!:D

mwahahaha BRILLIANT:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er, was I talking about 'rewriting history'? He's a comedian (well, in the eyes of some :D) not a national figure. I don't happen to like him or his style of comedy which was based on the humiliation of audience members . So sue me. :D

As I said, even if the Lubbock affair hadn't happened, I doubt he'd be on TV today as his act and comedy style are out dated.

i agree with everything youre saying here, but he was huge/national look at all theshows he had
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree with everything youre saying here, but he was huge/national look at all theshows he had

Because back in the day his comedy was in fashion and he was liked by the public.

I think he'd be battling personal demons regardless of the Lubbock business. He seems to have found it hard to come to terms with his sexuality - if indeed he is gay, and seems to have had alcohol problems too.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because back in the day his comedy was in fashion and he was liked by the public.

I think he'd be battling personal demons regardless of the Lubbock business. He seems to have found it hard to come to terms with his sexuality - if indeed he is gay, and seems to have had alcohol problems too.

He seemed a bit unstable when he did Celebrity Big Brother :o
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was definitely a big star at the time - I was trying to remember the name of the show he used to do on ITV at the weekends where he had warm up acts that were shown, one of which was Freddie Star. I'm thinking early to mid 90s at the latest...anyone any idea what it was called? I'm thinking it might have been on a Sunday evening (like before or after Heartbeat :D) and there was alot of audience participation and I remember a really long sketch with Barrymore (or/and maybe a dance troupe or something?) involving some zany song to do with moles lol which isn't much to go on but I was fairly young at the time and ended up in fits of giggles - thats all I can remember(!). It was either that or Russ Abbot but im pretty sure it was Barrymore, Abbot was on a Monday evening wasn't he? :confused::o

I remember watching a few episodes of whichever show that was but I don't have any recordings, sorry... (don't mind me(!)).
  • Dean DareDean Dare Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree, he was very popular in his day and was the king of Itv. He was adored by all generations and had the ability to make people laugh. I'm sure your opinion would be totally different if the Lubbock incident hadn't have happened.

No it wouldn't
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fat Buddha wrote: »

Ooooo, ouch! :eek:

I liked him initially but his ego got too big and he turned into a bit of a monster as he 'lost control'. What started off as good natured banter with his audience did turn into something which verged upon the abusive as his desperation grew. He was given chance after chance and kept blowing it...and this was before the Lubbock incident. His behaviour during that particular episode was despicable.

Still, there's no denying he was top bill for a number of years before it all turned sour and he must've done something right to make that work. He also had a bloody good manager with his wife, Cheryl (R.I.P.) until she could take no more.

Good luck in finding the resources you're looking for, OP. :)