The "All New" (Old) Gadget Show 2: The Re-Launch - Mondays @ 8pm on C5

Comments

• carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,682
    Forum Member
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    Got to applaud the producers for recognising the huge mistake of the World Tour & reverting to something akin to the old format.
    Except that no-one can prove that that is what actually happened. So can we please stop stating it like it's a fact :mad::rolleyes:
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah Carl but you can't prove otherwise can you? The new series is a fallback to the old format with world tour bits from Pollyanna.

So it's a reasonable assumption that the disastrous would tour format has been binned.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah Carl but you can't prove otherwise can you? The new series is a fallback to the old format with world tour bits from Pollyanna.

So it's a reasonable assumption that the disastrous would tour format has been binned.

Exactly - a more than reasonable assumption. If it was simply a temporary diversion from the original format, they'd have likely retained the original team and just had Suzi, Jon and Ortis on hiatus until the original studio format was resumed.

The World Tour was obviously meant to be the big reboot and "All New" Gadget Show and it failed.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new series is a fallback to the old format with world tour bits from Pollyanna.

Wasn't it always a one-off? There are only so many places they could go to, and they covered a lot of them in one series.

I didn't mind it. I don't mind this, either. For me the differences between this, World Tour and the previous format are not very great. Pretty much the same kinds of things covered (cameras, again; headphones, again).
  • mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deary me reading though this thread is making me miserable lol stop moaning thought it was quite good but I've always liked the world tour format prefer 2 presenters
    Forum Member
    Ah Carl but you can't prove otherwise can you?
    I am not the one claiming anything so I don't have to prove anything.
    Well it's certainly an assumption; and the BIB is just opinion.
    Exactly - a more than reasonable assumption.
    Only because you agree with it, with absolutely no proof.
    The World Tour was obviously meant to be the big reboot and "All New" Gadget Show and it failed.
    More assumptions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only because you agree with it, with absolutely no proof

There's plenty of proof out there. But then it wouldn't be so bad if you at least attempted a counter argument that didn't amount to "no it didn't". As it is, it just paints you as rather petulant ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets face it - Carl is right, & he knows it.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except that no-one can prove that that is what actually happened. So can we please stop stating it like it's a fact :mad::rolleyes:

The World Tour was promoted as an all new Gadget Show. Now after two series It has reverted to a format that the programme has had for several years, bring back a multi presenter studio based format and bring back Jon Bentley. If the World Tour format worked I'm sure they would have stuck with it. They never said the World Tour was going to be a temporary diversion.
    Forum Member
    There's plenty of proof out there.
    So let's have it then. Not opinions or conjecture (which is all I've seen so far) but actual concrete, solid proof.
    But then it wouldn't be so bad if you at least attempted a counter argument that didn't amount to "no it didn't". As it is, it just paints you as rather petulant ..
    I never said that though. I said there was no proof and there isn't.
    Lets face it - Carl is right, & he knows it.
    Of course I never actually said that at all :rolleyes: Now if you'd like to discuss things properly that's fine but please stop posting stuff that is clearly incorrect.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    The World Tour was promoted as an all new Gadget Show.
    And it was.
    Now after two series...
    I just checked and I don't think that entry is entirely accurate. It was always just called "The Gadget Show World Tour" and was never referred to on-screen as "The All New..." anything.
    If the World Tour format worked I'm sure they would have stuck with it.
    And you are welcome to your opinion.
    They never said the World Tour was going to be a temporary diversion.
    And they never said it wasn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So let's have it then. Not opinions or conjecture (which is all I've seen so far) but actual concrete, solid proof.

So you can snidely dismiss it ?. Sorry, but I've got better things to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nugsey05 wrote: »
    Am I the only person that actually quite liked the World Tour/All New Gadget Show format?

Yes

It was utter s****e. They got rid of everybody so that Jason and Polly could go on holiday and 'test some new cameras'. I still don't understand why they did it. It must've been about 1000x more expensive than the old (now current again) format.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never said that though. I said there was no proof and there isn't.

Of course I never actually said that at all :rolleyes: Now if you'd like to discuss things properly that's fine but please stop posting stuff that is clearly incorrect.

And it was.

I just checked and I don't think that entry is entirely accurate. It was always just called "The Gadget Show World Tour" and was never referred to on-screen as "The All New..." anything.

And you are welcome to your opinion.

And they never said it wasn't.

I'm basing my opinion on what the production team said in a thread on Digital Spy last year discussing the World Tour format.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=57827634#post57827634
    beemoh wrote: »
    Why has the presenting team been reduced to two? Is it because it better suits this new format and you'll be bringing everyone back when/if you return to 'normal' The Gadget Show, or do you feel that constantly adding new presenters made the whole thing a bit too sprawling, and this is a more permanent change?
    JessicaM wrote: »
    Hi all,Jess from The Gadget Show here, looking forward to tonight but in the meantime I’ll try to answer your questions.

@beemoh @Arkudos The changes to both the presenting team and the format were made with the intention of updating the show and keeping it fresh. We’ve no plans to go back to previous formats- we want to keep it moving onwards and upwards!
    And if you go to the thread you can see another member of the production team talk about the World Tour being the new version of the show, and how long running shows evolve.

And now it has changed back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've just posted the proof. I'm sure you were asking some questions in the thread I linked to as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just posted the proof. I'm sure you were asking some questions in the thread I linked to as well.

Didn't see that - thanks. I'd forgotten that the producers came on here in the early days to answer our questions.

Here's one to add to your quotes ..
    JessicaM wrote: »
    @norwichred Yes, the format needed refreshing, and it became apparent that two presenters was the best way to go

Now we wait for Carl to say "No it isn't" :). Although reading that old thread, Carl actually says very little about the content of the show more often than not and just spends his time in the thread dismissing everyone's opinions ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't see that - thanks. I'd forgotten that the producers came on here in the early days to answer our questions.

Here's one to add to your quotes ..

Now we wait for Carl to say "No it isn't" :). Although reading that old thread, Carl actually says very little about the content of the show more often than not and just spends his time in the thread dismissing everyone's opinions ..

You don't need the comments from the production team to realise the show has reverted to its old format. If Sherlock Holmes posted here he'd be saying "Isn't it obvious?" Well these worker come from the production team and it seems pretty conclusive to me. Polly should be number 2 presenter with Jamm as they have chemistry. Rachel is doing the Suzi role but isn't clicking with Jason at all yet in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need the comments from the production team to realise the show has reverted to its old format

We know this, but carl seems to require proof that the World Tour was only supposed to be a temporary diversion and wasn't a failure.

The producers confirming that they wouldn't be returning to the original format seems to suggest that it was the failure that many of us have said it was, since they have done just that and returned to the original format.

I can appreciate that Rachel won't really have a lot of chemistry with anyone yet as she's only just started working with them, and also that this is her first major on-camera presenting role as well, so she needs time to adjust.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No no no - Carl is right.

Anyway welcome back to the Gadget Show - vast improvement on previous format.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Are they really touting that "flying" water jet thing as a new gadget on next weeks show?

They must have shares in the damn thing as that will be the 3rd time they featured it as an exciting new gizmo.
    Forum Member
    So you've no actual proof then. Thought not.
    I'm basing my opinion on what the production team said in a thread on Digital Spy last year discussing the World Tour format.
    Right. So no plans ever change then?
    You don't need the comments from the production team to realise the show has reverted to its old format.
    I never said it hadn't reverted to the old format :rolleyes:
    We know this, but carl seems to require proof that the World Tour was only supposed to be a temporary diversion and wasn't a failure.
    I never said it was or wasn't a "temporary diversion" and I certainly don't think it was a "failure" but that wasn't my problem either.

You all stated these things as facts with no proof. THAT is all I was saying.
    The producers confirming that they wouldn't be returning to the original format...
    Never ever and plans don't change?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never ever and plans don't change?

Ok, simple question. Are you willing to let this go and accept that people don't share your view about the World Tour format?
  • WhiteShadeWhiteShade Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    What's the account of the producers twitter called?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I tuned in expecting RR to be wearing some ridiculously short/low cut dress to start the series off with a bang.:o

Bit surprised to see her looking like a teacher on non-pupil day.:cry:

Don't the producers understand how shallow men who watch gadget shows are? :confused:
    Forum Member
    Ok, simple question. Are you willing to let this go and accept that people don't share your view about the World Tour format?
    I could ask you the same question :)
    Groundhog wrote: »
    I tuned in expecting RR to be wearing some ridiculously short/low cut dress to start the series off with a bang.:o

Bit surprised to see her looking like a teacher on non-pupil day.:cry:

Don't the producers understand how shallow men who watch gadget shows are? :confused:
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could ask you the same question :)

Aha, so that's a "no" then.

Fair enough. I can help you out a bit though. I'll put you on ignore so when you're cutting and pasting everyone's posts into your reply to snidely dismiss everything, at least you won't have to bother with mine because I won't see your response anyway.

That should save you a few minutes at least ..