Is it easy to leave Orange?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
Forum Member
✭✭
I think my 18 month contract is *finally* up, and I want to buy an iPhone.

Not bothered about carrying the number over.

But I am dreading phoning Orange to cancel my contract - as I fear they'll harass me into staying with them, or trying it on somehow.

Is it possible to write to them in order to cancel - is this legally binding etc?

thx

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,588
    Forum Member
    I have cancelled a contract with Orange in the past....they dont hassle you. They may ask why your moving, thats about it. I wouldnt worry about cancelling...its straight forward. Just ring them up.

If you want to take your number with you, just tell them and they will supply you with a PA Code. Just give this code to your new provider and your number will be used with your new contract.

I wouldnt buy an iphone either...much better phones on the market than that.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you might be better putting this post in the mobile / technology section of the forum. Im sure many people will help you over there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you scared of? You tell then you want to leave, they ask why and try to persuade you otherwise, you tell them 'I'm not interested. I want an iPhone.'
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no it's not easy. I cancelled my contract 3 months ago, but they refuse to believe that everytime I ring up.
    I have threatened to stop my direct debit but they say they will only go through the courts to make me pay
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AmjidS wrote: »
    I wouldnt buy an iphone either...much better phones on the market than that.

Thanks. May I ask which phone is better?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tell them your leaving to get an iPhone, if your contracks up they can't stop you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I think you might be better putting this post in the mobile / technology section of the forum. Im sure many people will help you over there.

Sure. sorry never thought of that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jay2009 wrote: »
    Just tell them your leaving to get an iPhone, if your contracks up they can't stop you.

If your contract's up they can't stop you anyway, iPhone or not
    Forum Member
    GoatHoof wrote: »
    Thanks. May I ask which phone is better?

Have a look at the Nokia N96, N95, N81. Better features, and will probably be cheaper.
  • darkone338darkone338 Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a look at the Nokia N96, N95, N81. Better features, and will probably be cheaper.

Kinda subjective tho aint it. (and no i dont have an iphone).

Some people prefer some to others.. For the OP benefit, if youre wanting the touch screen capability, the Nokias dont have that (yet)... As youre trying things out, you can buy up any phone and return it within 14 days if you dont like it.
    Forum Member
    darkone338 wrote: »
    Kinda subjective tho aint it. (and no i dont have an iphone).

Some people prefer some to others.. For the OP benefit, if youre wanting the touch screen capability, the Nokias dont have that (yet)... As youre trying things out, you can buy up any phone and return it within 14 days if you dont like it.

Subjective to a point. If you look at the features of the Nokias, then they are better than the iphone. This isnt subjective. The subjective part, is the look, weight, usability etc. You are correct, the Nokias are not touch screen.

NB - I dont have an iphone or an N-Range Nokia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPhone looks awesome to me, as I want to use iTunes and read online papers.

£35 contract seems ideal.
    Forum Member
    GoatHoof wrote: »
    iPhone looks awesome to me, as I want to use iTunes and read online papers.

£35 contract seems ideal.

The Nokias come with internet access as well. At the end of the day its your money, your choice. If your happy with the iphone, go for it.

I am just making you aware of other options that (spec wise) are better than the iphone.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left Orange and had no problems at all. Never heard from them again - thankfully!
  • v0idv0id Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Nokias come with internet access as well. At the end of the day its your money, your choice. If your happy with the iphone, go for it.

I am just making you aware of other options that (spec wise) are better than the iphone.

The Nokias also come with the BASIC function of bluetooth, something the iphone doesn't have
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know if it's possible to cancel an Orange contract half way through? The payments are starting to **** me over somewhat! :o
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    Johnnycash wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's possible to cancel an Orange contract half way through? The payments are starting to **** me over somewhat! :o

You can cancel by paying the remainder of your contract (which you agreed to) in one go.
  • scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just so you know, if your getting the iPhone it does NOT come FREE with a £35 contract you have to pay for the phone as well (which is I think something above £100). Only if your on a £45 contract will it be free.

Edit-I dont know if its the same price if you go to say, Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U, but I went to the O2 shop (as my sister wanted one, but is getting an iPod Touch now..:D) and thats the price they gave me.

Way too expensive, and I feel the iPhone's only benefits are the internet on the move, iTunes, BBC iPlayer.

Even the camera's only 1.3mp's, which is bad imo.

Back on topic, it should be really easy to cancel Orange if your contracts up. I was with O2, but got a better deal with Orange (...D) and when my contract was up, simly called O2 for the PAC Code and they just asked me why I wanted to cancel. I simply told them that I got a better deal with Orange and they kept quiet...:D:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    You can cancel by paying the remainder of your contract (which you agreed to) in one go.

God that's not exactly appealing, pay it all in one go and get nothing?! Looks like I'm stuck with it for another 9 months :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had no problems cancelling my contract with them (and i was spending about 100 GBP a month due to international calls) - they simply asked why i wanted to cancel - i was moving abroad so told them this and they said it was no problem and even transferred my number to a pay as you go account instead in case i wanted to use the number when back in the UK (which i still do).

If for any reason they did try to pressurise you into signing a new contract then use my excuse - they would never know anyway...

:)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if the service they give their broadband customers trying to leave is any different to their phone customers, but...

I recently called to request a MAC code to leave Orange broadband. The guy who took the call asked why I wanted to leave. When I told him it was because of their appauling customer service, he gave me a long speech about how that isn't the norm, blah blah blah. The good news is, I got my monthly sub reduced from £17.99 to £9.99, with the first 3 months free. The bad news is, it meant taking out another 12 month contract. I figured the saving was worth it. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 470
    Forum Member
    If your contract has finished then theres no problem at all, you don't even need to *leave* as such, as it has already ended.

Also my past experiences with Orange tell me that they probably won't offer you any decent deals as a valued customer. A few years ago my friend who had been with them for years wanted to renew a contract and asked what they could offer. He was told "we now offer the same great offers to our existing customers as we do to our new customers!". Now theres loyalty for you!

Personally I've gone with Carphone Warehouse for years and they always given me extra upgrades, extra minutes, and when my phone stopped working they gave me a new one in days (I have no insurance either). They're just fab, so whatever you buy I recommend you go to them!

As for the iPhone I have real trust issue with Apple products, so I wouldn't buy one myself but I know plenty of people who have them and love them and have had no problems (yet). If you ask an advisor in store they can tell you the differences between models and I find some of them are pretty honest about expensive products that aren't as great as they sound.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member

Even the camera's only 1.3mp's, which is bad imo

It's 2mp. and more megapixals on a phone don't necessarily make a better camera.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/06/18/more-iphone-camera-megapixels-would-be-worse-not-better.

As with any phone it what YOU use it for that matters, not what the specs say.

I have no need of a camera, but want easy integration with two computers, calendars, emails, to do's, files etc. syncing in real time.

The iPhone does that for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the Samsung Omnia or the Tocca? They look pretty similar to the iphone, but apparently are better!