Forum Member
The rediscovered Van Gogh painting
Photo one

An ancient stone found in the Great Pyramid
Photo Two

Comments

• November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Sydney Newman came up with the idea for the show after his experiences with the First Doctor. FACT.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not notice that in the Van Gogh. Spooky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's even a Weeping Angel next to it! :eek:

:D
  • VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Cynegetica of Grattius Faliscus (a Latin poem on hunting with hounds, written at some point between 30BC and 8AD) offers further proof:

inuictaque tardis
    praecipitat letale malum
    (lines 383-4)

which, being translated, means

"and the unconquered TARDIS
    overthrows deadly evil".

If the Malus had been called the Malum, this would be a concise account of the events of The Awakening. As it stands, however, it serves as a good general description of the Doctor's career.

How could Grattius possibly have known of this, unless he had met the Doctor?
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    The Cynegetica of Grattius Faliscus (a Latin poem on hunting with hounds, written at some point between 30BC and 8AD) offers further proof: ...

You know, I'm not entirely sure you've done that correctly. But you've got to ask yourself: if the Doctor is real then who else is real, and who am I possibly working for?
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    You know, I'm not entirely sure you've done that correctly. But you've got to ask yourself: if the Doctor is real then who else is real, and who am I possibly working for?

Does that mean John Barrowman will be around forever :D
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought The Doctor was real and then there is the companion to keep him company.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    The Cynegetica of Grattius Faliscus (a Latin poem on hunting with hounds, written at some point between 30BC and 8AD) offers further proof:

inuictaque tardis
    praecipitat letale malum
    (lines 383-4)

which, being translated, means

"and the unconquered TARDIS
    overthrows deadly evil".

If the Malus had been called the Malum, this would be a concise account of the events of The Awakening. As it stands, however, it serves as a good general description of the Doctor's career.

How could Grattius possibly have known of this, unless he had met the Doctor?

For anyone interested in the actual boring meaning of the Latin, it's something along the lines of this:
    '... uncontrollable for those who delay, brings about a deadly evil.'

It's talking about rabies.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone interested in the actual boring meaning of the Latin, it's something along the lines of this:
    tardis is the latin that gives rise to tardy, retarded (which wasn't originally a pejorative), etc — it's the delay part of that translation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tardis is the latin that gives rise to tardy, retarded (which wasn't originally a pejorative), etc — it's the delay part of that translation
    I like your take on making it a noun, though, because it comes out feminine in that context (and we know she is).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conclusive proof there.

There's only one thing for it, I'll get my gun.