Steve Ditko book

ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
Forum Member
✭✭
"Strange & Stranger: the World of Steve Ditko" is a lavishly illustrated and painstakingly researched accout of the life and work of Steve Ditko.
Although the reclusive, eccentric Mr. Ditko makes J. D. Salinger look like a raving extrovert, there's no doubting his talent, of which, plenty of examples are included in Blake Bell's book.
Although he doesn't appear to have co-operated with the author (big surprise), this account of his work on Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, The Creeper etc., his constant battles with Stan Lee (who remains an admirer to this day) and his odd beliefs make for fascinating reading.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Although I usually don't like reading unauthorized biographies, I might check this out. There doesn't seem to be any good alternative source and I'm interested to read about his "odd beliefs."
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I usually don't like reading unauthorized biographies, I might check this out. There doesn't seem to be any good alternative source and I'm interested to read about his "odd beliefs."

It's unfortunate that the talented Mr. Ditko is unlikely ever to authorise a biography. An earlier, supposedly authorised, effort in the 80s upset him badly because it became too intrusive and then all the research material was swept away in a flood.
    There's also "The Art of Steve Ditko" by Craig Yoe but it's mainly as it says, a collection of his work.
    You might hunt out Jonathan Ross's excellent tv documentary on him, although even he and Neil Gaiman failed to persuade the elusive one to appear or speak on camera, although he was quite happy to speak to them.
    It appears Steve Ditko's strange, rigid but quite genuinely held, ideas have robbed him of money, acclaim, friends, fans, security and long-term working relationships but by all accounts he doesn't seem to worry about it.
    Ultimately he can only be judged by his work and his unique, instantly recognisable drawings, even when inked by someone else, are truly astonishing. No one who sees Spider-Man, Dr. Strange or The Creeper in their youth ever really forgets them.