Pictures of my new Windows 98 computer

LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have really wanted a windows 95 computer for ages and a nice man called Nick made me one. So here it is I want it to play old games ...:D you have no idea how happy it makes me feel.

http://smoorbs.deviantart.com/art/Windows-98-352056508?ga_submit_new=10%253A1359839974

http://smoorbs.deviantart.com/art/My-new-machine-352056849?ga_submit_new=10%253A1359840060

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    I hear that Steam are having a sale on Minesweeper: The Complete Collection, with all the DLC. Except for the one that got banned, of course.
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Now thats next gen hardware screw ps4 and xbox 720
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What can you play on windows 98 that you can't on XP/win7?
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have really wanted a windows 95 computer for ages and a nice man called Nick made me one. So here it is I want it to play old games ...:D you have no idea how happy it makes me feel.

http://smoorbs.deviantart.com/art/Windows-98-352056508?ga_submit_new=10%253A1359839974

http://smoorbs.deviantart.com/art/My-new-machine-352056849?ga_submit_new=10%253A1359840060

So happy that you don't know whether it's 1995 or 1998 it seems?:D
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Let me check what day it is......

Has the world fallen appart at the seams yet? Planes falling from the sky? Nuclear bombs auto launching?
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't play a lot of games on my Xp and thought it would be easy to pick up an old machine but it wasn't they dont come up very much on ebay. I have a large collection of big box PC games that only work on 3.1, 95, and 98. Some don't even work on 98 and instead of updating my Xp and using virtual PC on windows 7 I wanted to get an old one. I was just excited at getting it, and wanted to share, don't hate me!
    O and I wanted a 95 machine but I decided that 98 would be better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    98 OSR2 was good, ME was crap 95 was poor.

DOS support on 98 was very good if you had a decent GFX card
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    You could have probably gone to the council dump and picked one up free from there. People don't put old machines on ebay because they probably would cost more to post than the price they went for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    You could have probably gone to the council dump and picked one up free from there. People don't put old machines on ebay because they probably would cost more to post than the price they went for.

I went everywhere computer shops, colleges, schools, the dump, charity shops I travelled around o bric a brac stores. They were hard to find :cry:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    98 OSR2 was good, ME was crap 95 was poor.

Windows ME was an abomination. It was called Mistake Edition for a reason.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if I missed you asking on here if anyone had a Win98 machine to sell, OP. I have two of the buggers in my loft waiting to go to the tip... :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Windows ME was an abomination. It was called Mistake Edition for a reason.

Why was it an abomination?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used too much memory to run and was difficult to install and run. It was also not compatible with some some older program's and it had no real MS Dos. The system restore did not do what it was supposed to. It was generally regarded as a bad OS. I was unfortunate enough to own a computer running ME
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...I was unfortunate enough to own a computer running ME

I was put in a position where I 'had' to install it on a work PC (back in the day) due to some issue with a piece of Adobe software (think it was PageMaker). Bizarre situation, luckily I didn't have to use it much after that!
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you not have just duel booted your existing PC?
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    Could you not have just duel booted your existing PC?

of course he could, you can install win95 on the most expensive cutting edge PC on the market if you really want to. Guy seems to have gone all over looking for a PC already running Win95 when all he really wanted was an old PC and a copy of win95 to run on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    of course he could, you can install win95 on the most expensive cutting edge PC on the market if you really want to. Guy seems to have gone all over looking for a PC already running Win95 when all he really wanted was an old PC and a copy of win95 to run on it.

OP is a "she".
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    OP is a "she".

maybe, I just noticed the user name but still not 100% proof ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a she, and I did think about putting Win 95 and 98 on my current comp but nah i wanted the real deal and I was playing House of the Dead yesterday... It was amazing...terrible graphics but amazing!
    Forum Member
    The point is you could have bought any old PC, wiped it and and put win95 on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    The point is you could have bought any old PC, wiped it and and put win95 on it.

Could have but couldnt find an old pc with floppy. if memory serves me righ I thought you needed a floppy to install win 95 might be wrong ! I couldn't even find an old PC!
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Could have but couldnt find an old pc with floppy. if memory serves me righ I thought you needed a floppy to install win 95 might be wrong ! I couldn't even find an old PC!

As long as you are happy that is the main thing. Dual booting win 98 on a new machine would be a pain in the ass with sata hard drives.
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under a fiver for a copy of the OS on ebay and Virtualbox from Oracle (for free). Sorted. Run a virtual copy of the old OS straight off your desktop.

I have a virtual XP PC installed for similar reasons.

But kudos for taking the difficult way out and enjoying yourself. Just don't connect it to the Internet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under a fiver for a copy of the OS on ebay and Virtualbox from Oracle (for free). Sorted. Run a virtual copy of the old OS straight off your desktop.

I have a virtual XP PC installed for similar reasons.

But kudos for taking the difficult way out and enjoying yourself. Just don't connect it to the Internet.

Umm I'm pretty sure you dont get virtual PC on computers running windows XP. I think it's a thing they bought in for windows 7 which I dont have. There didn't appear to be an emulator available for XP that would be compatible for some of my games. All of the big boxes I have bought are running amazingly well but most wont start on my xp machine. Also I can hide in my room for the evening with a copy of 7th guest !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Umm I'm pretty sure you dont get virtual PC on computers running windows XP...

You can run VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/) on an XP machine. I've done it in the past for OSX and Win95. Brilliant considering it's free.