BSkyB buys O2/BE Broadband and Fixed Line Business

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    things like setting your target SNR are bound to go. there are just not enough people that are bothered.
  • *angeldelight**angeldelight* Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    yep, O2 are the best for customer service too, I'm so annoyed!
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    That means I'll be looking for another broadband provider.

Fun while it lasted, eh.
  • *angeldelight**angeldelight* Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    But the question is who?
  • LamparillaLamparilla Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That means I'll be looking for another broadband provider.

Fun while it lasted, eh.

Same here - anything even vaguely associated with Murdoch is not something I want to be involved with.
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news for the staff at o2 broadband, I think o2 came on the scene a bit late I'm glad I left this week & got BT Infinity unlimited I wouldn't touch Sky with a barge pole, Shame though all the same.:(
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beef wrote: »
    I can only hope $ky wont mess about with the infrastructure that BE provides.

surely you mean B€, seeing as you are putting currency symbols in every company name.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been considering switching to Plusnet FTTC for several weeks. For me, as an O2 Home Broadband customer,
    today's news is effectively the straw that broke the camel's back, and I'll be finalising the move later this month.

Aside from anything today's news brings, as far as I'm concerned, bog standard, fixed-line DSL based broadband
    from the likes of O2 and others, is no longer fit for purpose. Those antiquated, decades old, copper telephone
    wires were never designed for the increasing bandwidth demands of the modern internet. Fine for the basic stuff
    like e-mails, FB and Twitter, but trying to stream (or download) a movie or TV show in HD ... fuhgeddabaahhdit!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Aside from anything today's news brings, as far as I'm concerned, bog standard, fixed-line DSL based broadband
    from the likes of O2 and others, is no longer fit for purpose. Those antiquated, decades old, copper telephone
    wires were never designed for the increasing bandwidth demands of the modern internet. Fine for the basic stuff
    like e-mails, FB and Twitter, but trying to stream (or download) a movie or TV show in HD ... fuhgeddabaahhdit!

you do know that FTTC still uses that "antiquated, decades old, copper telephone" from the cabinet to your house?

streaming movies/tvs etc in HD seems to work quite well on my DSL connection, then again i do sync at 21Mbps.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will this make Sky the UK's 2nd largest broadband provider then? Pushing Virginmedia into 3rd place? I know they're expected to hit second place sometime this year anyway but I imagine this will speed it up a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    Will this make Sky the UK's 2nd largest broadband provider then? Pushing Virginmedia into 3rd place? I know they're expected to hit second place sometime this year anyway but I imagine this will speed it up a bit.

yes it does
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lamparilla wrote: »
    Same here - anything even vaguely associated with Murdoch is not something I want to be involved with.

Is it just Murdoch? Or are you happy to buy/use products associated with people who have actually done far worse? Because YA KNOW....Your coffee may contain coffee beans that were grown by people envolved in rapes and mass murders.

Your diamond jewelry may contain blood diamonds and we al know the horror story there. Even if the diamonds arent blood diamonds people will of suffered in the production. I hope all your chocolate is fair trade and doesn't come from cocoa grown on ground where the original owners were burned out of their homes an even burnt to death to get the land.

I hope you car doesn't contain parts made in poor countries where the workers will suffer awful life shortening illnesses due to the manufacturing process???
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a good deal on be unlimited and dont take their phone line. Ive been getting interested in bt lately though since getting a smart phone to make use of the hot spots. Guess this might be the push I needed to do just that
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a shame. I left Sky for o2 a couple of years ago after I had experienced connection problems and Sky just blamed my phone line and weren't bothered in helping but it was nothing to do with the phone line:mad: o2 have been fantastic, great speeds, great customer service and unlimited downloads at a reduced price because I'm an o2 mobile customer. I don't want Sky landline either and will be disappointed if this is forced on me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just Murdoch? Or are you happy to buy/use products associated with people who have actually done far worse? Because YA KNOW....Your coffee may contain coffee beans that were grown by people envolved in rapes and mass murders.

Your diamond jewelry may contain blood diamonds and we al know the horror story there. Even if the diamonds arent blood diamonds people will of suffered in the production. I hope all your chocolate is fair trade and doesn't come from cocoa grown on ground where the original owners were burned out of their homes an even burnt to death to get the land.

I hope you car doesn't contain parts made in poor countries where the workers will suffer awful life shortening illnesses due to the manufacturing process???

add to that any electronic device made by foxconn - who make products for almost every mobile phone company, laptop or pc company etc etc
  • F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    This is a shame. I left Sky for o2 a couple of years ago after I had experienced connection problems and Sky just blamed my phone line and weren't bothered in helping but it was nothing to do with the phone line:mad: o2 have been fantastic, great speeds, great customer service and unlimited downloads at a reduced price because I'm an o2 mobile customer. I don't want Sky landline either and will be disappointed if this is forced on me

Same for me I left BT as they blamed the line, there is a fault but it's easy to work around it with O2.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    you do know that FTTC still uses that "antiquated, decades
    old, copper telephone" from the cabinet to your house?
    Yes I know ... but with FTTC, it's a much, much shorter length of copper wiring that doesn't stretch all the way
    from the local exchange. Instead of having to put up with dragging the data through just over a mile of copper,
    it's about 100 metres or so (150 metres at the most) from the nearest street cabinet to my home.

Although FTTC is still partially reliant on some of that copper wiring, it isn't copper all the way unlike ADSL2.
    So, at least 90% of the journey between the BT exchange and my home would be ultra modern fibre-optic.
    To all intents and purposes, it'd be the same if I decided to switch back to Virgin Media for broadband,
    since that is effectively FTTC in all but name ... although VM's street cabinet is a little closer

Of course, if FTTP was available in my area, and for a reasonable price comparable to both FTTC and ADSL
    then I'd go for that instead with no hesitation. Unfortunately, that would probably cost at least £1000 just to
    have it installed, then a fairly steep monthly subscription fee to get a decent service.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    surely you mean B€, seeing as you are putting currency symbols in every company name.
    LOL don't tempt people! :D
  • real worldreal world Posts: 307
    Forum Member

Does it matter?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beef wrote: »
    I really hope not. I have the same package with 14 fixed ip. I do pay a lot for it but it does exactly what I want. The fact they use AnnexM and their support is excellent. You speak to a technical person who actually knows what they are talking about!! For example, they can change the upload speed on the fly as you are talking to them. You won't get that from $ky.

In my mind, they are, no, were the only ISP who can provide such a service to the more technically minded consumers.

I can only hope $ky wont mess about with the infrastructure that BE provides.

That's the same reason I'm with BE, they're not the cheapest but it's understood you're paying for a premium service, tech staff that actually know what they're talking about and a consistent and fast speed. I get a 13-16meg download speed regardless of whether it's 9am, 6pm or 3am. And when I've had a problem BE have solved it where other ISP's would have just blamed it on a line issue and done nothing.
    From what I've read on the BE site the deal is the death of BE as an independent provider, it won't operate as a seperate company as it did under the ownership of O2. All BE customers will be migrated to Sky and will become Sky broadband customers.
    This is only bad news for consumers wanting choice, after the sale of O2 and BE broadband consumers wanting ADSL max at my exchange will be reduced to BT, Sky and Talk Talk.

The only glimmer of hope for me is that I'm no longer under contract with BE so can cancel at any time and BT infinity is due at my exchange sometime this year.
  • Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive had Sky Unlimited for a few years and phone line and have no problems whatsoever, been good customer service and BB service..no complaints whatsoever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do Sky throttle? I went with BE five years ago because they didn't throttle, and to my knowledge, have never done so.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drat - don't want to got to Sky so it's looking like it's time to move (the lack of fibre has been annoying for a while tbh).

Does anyone know if EE are any cop, and if you get a static IP? Saving £2 a month, plus getting a doubling of speed would be nice!

So yet another ISP to leave before the borg wrecks it (Freedom 2 Surf being the last one).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    Do Sky throttle? I went with BE five years ago because they didn't throttle, and to my knowledge, have never done so.

no traffic shaping, throttling or bandwidth limits.
    Sky Broadband Unlimited - £7.50pm
  • BassthoundBassthound Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't get Cable at my house so have Sky TV but didn't take the BB as the reports were so bad.

Been more than happy to pay the extra to BE as had GREAT service and speed for years.

Don't know what to do now :(