Can't set up Outlook Express

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
Forum Member
I have managed to set up OE at home to access my Sky email but i am unable to set it up on my work computer.

I can get my old AOL email easily enough at work but whatever i try i cannot get Sky email. I have tried both OE and Mozilla both with no success.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Have you spoken to your network admin? I don't suppose they would block some ports but you never know.

And it depends what do you mean by "not able to set up". Since you did it at home I guess you know how to do it.

And if you haven't set up the option to leave copies on the server in your home OE you are aware that you can not expect to see the same messages in another client? If they are downloaded at home that's it. Maybe it is set up but there are no new messages.

Since you didn't post any error messages from your work OE that's the only thing I can think of.

Cheers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    here is the error message i get

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.sky.com', Server: 'pop.sky.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

don't know if you can help from this.
    Forum Member
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191687

Unfortunately it looks like needed ports are blocked.

Very strange if you are at work, virtually no business would do that unless they have other way to work with email.

You will have to speak with your network/system administrator if you want to set this up on your work PC.

Cheers.

PS. Just google the error code and you get the answer. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    went online with sky broadbaand (connect) today/ internet works fine, but i cant get email to work, error message (error initialising email portlet) .help anyone. goggs.
    Forum Member
    Goggs, read other thread here.

I think they have issues with their email and the portal. I'm not with Sky so I comment on that. This is not related to this thread about configuring OE because it sounds like you can't access the portal online. There were issues with that.

Why would you want to use that email address anyway? If you switch ISP you lose the address usually. Get a Yahoo, Hotmail, etc address.

Cheers.
    Forum Member
    thanks DarkoD for your help.

I have followed the Microsoft link and ran netstat which does not show ports 110 and 25 as open BUT i have my work email address that uses both these ports and all works ok for that address.

The mystery deepens.
    Forum Member
    Your work email working doesn't mean much. There are different scenarios.

For example, you Outlook (or OE) might connect only to a local, company email server on your local network (LAN). The company email server might be getting the emails from the outside trough different ports (if set up like that for security reasons) and ports 25 or/and 110 might really be blocked in your company firewall on the company internet connection.

So you would be connecting only to the server which might be in the next room.

When OE attempts to go to the Sky servers it has to use your company internet connection (firewall) and if the ports are blocked it can not succeed.

That's why I suggested to have a word with your network/system admin because he would have information about this. Everything else is pure speculation.
    Forum Member
    DarkoD you explain thing so brilliantly that even i can understand them.

I have spoken with IT who know exactly what you are saying and have promised to sort it by tomorrow when hopefully all will be well.

Many thanks for your kind help.

Colin
    Forum Member
    AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH !!!!!!

IT have looked at the problem and have come up with the answer that you cannot connect to Sky email unless you go via the Sky router.

We logged into Telnet and attempted to access pop.sky.com 110 with no success but could easily access AOL and our works servers.

Does this make sense and can anyone access their Sky email at a computer away from home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    not so much a problem with outlook but similiar - I cannot access my Sky email from my Smartphone - no problem before with BT and Virgin - its an inconvenience but apart from that I'm happy with the Sky service. I would be interested to hear if anyone has managed to pick up their mail away from home without using the sky portal?
    Forum Member
    Does not work on my Nokia either but no problems with AOL or work accounts which semms to indicate that my IT dept are right and that you do need to go via the Sky router.