Best places for a novice to get help with Linux?

ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
Forum Member
I'm finding it a bit of a struggle to resolve issues with a new installation of Ubuntu. I haven't much experience and it's a good few years since I had a machine running it.

Has anyone got any recommendations of where to get help? Up to now I've just been searching on google but for various reasons that's a frustrating experience I've discovered.

Comments

• KleistKleist Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/

Also a few people here know quite a bit
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for that link. I'll definitely give it a go.

My first encounter with Linux was enjoyable but this time it's proving to be frustrating and time-consuming because every solution I find for a problem seems itself to throw up even more problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    try the ubuntu forums they should be able to help you with any questions you may have
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Google. Seriously. Asking for general advice isn't much use, but getting stuck on a specific problem esp with Linux means that somewhere someone has already had the same problem and solved it. Google for specifics and you'll soon be on your way again.
  • theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of the joy of linux is that most issues and problems will have an online solutions that a quick google will find.

Personally I would recommend to go with a debian based distro. Ubuntu is probably the most widely used distro right now and that's debian based so there's a lot of documentation and tutorials available and for the most part all those will be transferable to other debian distributions

Give something like Linux Mint a try - it's based on Ubuntu but with the aim of being user friendly and to come with all the things you'll need to get started already installed out of the box but the majority of the vast amount of Ubuntu documentation available online will still apply .

I first started playing with linux about 10 years ago - and the strides it's made in that time is huge. It really is easy to install and use these days - and very rarely do you need to do command line stuff (unless you want to)