Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - 31st January 9pm - BBC2

Comments

• Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    No it just highlight how absurdly out of date your views are.

What are these out of date views that I hold?
    Forum Member
    I think I have fallen in love with Philomena Cunk. :o

Superb programme as ever. The highlight of the week.

I've got a bit of a thing for Grace Dent.

Hey ho, these things can't be helped.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me what the music is playing behind Barry Sh!tpeas and Philomena Cunk?

I think it was Spiegel im Spiegel by Arvo Part, from the album Alina.

It comes in various forms, all with piano dueting with different strings. Oft used in "the sad bits" on telly.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And why not, she's lovely

https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/3062215123/6e240ee28c0b93df1b11cb8b3380f611.jpeg

http://www.dianemorgan.co.uk/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

The actress was in an E4 show about a fake PR agency called The Work Experience.........She was very good in that aswell
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarkG6R wrote: »
    I liked 'Ronnie Corbett' talking about the horse meat on Sky News :D

That was quite spooky how much he sounded like him !
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the sequence on Bruce Willis was quite humorous.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »

It seemed quite obvious he didn't want to be there. I can't blame him! The One Show is pure cringe. I wonder if he had to appear due to contract commitments?
    Forum Member
    It seemed quite obvious he didn't want to be there. I can't blame him! The One Show is pure cringe. I wonder if he had to appear due to contract commitments?

I agree it's cringey.
    Part of his promotional work for the film, I'd say.
    For which he would have been paid a pretty penny.
    I have no sympathy really, he's been paid to work, so do his job smile be gracious when they're blowing smoke up his ar$e, at least.

As an aside has he ever done any quality acting, he was good in Moonlighting, errm...
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »

I know. I actually watched that interview at broadcast.
    But last night's show picked up on subtle nuances I didn't notice when I watched the interview the first time.

Now I see that Bruce Willis really was bored and jaded when on The One Show. I really didn't notice it at the time until the little clips of him on the show last night highlighted these moments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    This is getting funnier as the series progresses, except the interview segment, which I don't think adds anything!
  • randomliserandomlise Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    The actress was in an E4 show about a fake PR agency called The Work Experience.........She was very good in that aswell

Knew I recognised her from somewhere!
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philomena Cunk is now going places Barry Sh1tpeas can only dream of. Sorry Barry.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    I love the points off you segment - completely daft forumesque quotes from the public.

If there's any part of the show that's the laziest, it's that one.

It's a case of: "Hey! Let's fill five minutes reading opinions from Twitter and Yahoo!" :rolleyes:
    Oh no, not Tim Key - he's shite:yawn:

That's the time to go and make a cup of tea.....
    Great p*ss-take of the appalling Take Me Out.

Really? That programme's been going for over three years. Any piss-take is long overdue to be of any use.
    Agreed

I thankyou :D
    This really needs to be an hour-long show.

It really doesn't. Even the 2012 hour-long show was starting to creak at the seams a bit, and that's when he was doing them annually for a while. If you've seen all of Brooker's previous output on BBC2 and BBC4 then you'll realise how diluted this series is by comparison.
    VincentH wrote: »
    It's a shame it's not your humour, but I laughed from start to finish. The points they were making about Bruce Willis were funny yet very astute. As was the whole show. Anyone who says CB's lost it...nah. Best thing on this week by far.

Clearly you haven't seen all of his earlier TV output.
    I know. I actually watched that interview at broadcast.
    But last night's show picked up on subtle nuances I didn't notice when I watched the interview the first time.

Now I see that Bruce Willis really was bored and jaded when on The One Show. I really didn't notice it at the time until the little clips of him on the show last night highlighted these moments.

Apparently, more recently he's recorded an interview for XFM where he states he was jet-lagged. That said, if I had to talk to Alex Jones or Matt thingy, I'd fall into a coma too.
    Supratad wrote: »
    I think it was Spiegel im Spiegel by Arvo Part, from the album Alina.

It comes in various forms, all with piano dueting with different strings. Oft used in "the sad bits" on telly.

Yep, that's the track. One of my favourite pieces of classical music. It's just been released on the new compilation: "Now That's What I Call Music To Play At Funerals Vol.1!"
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good show which was bogged down with a very over-long segment on Bruce Willis on the One Show. I did love the "dying inside" comment regarding Willis doing the same movie over and over again, though :)

Those dating shows look horrendous. Makes Blind Date look positively sophisticated in comparison. Paddy McGuinness is an instant TV turn-off for me anyway.

Oh, and why did Charlie resurrect the painfully unfunny Tim Key?
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Oh, and why did Charlie resurrect the painfully unfunny Tim Key?

A 'friend of Charlton' presumably...maybe that or a shared management (see Stewart Lee's recent comments) are the explanation for the otherwise random 'celebrity review' section....nothing wrong with the people or the idea but the length of the segment just means it never seems to come to anything.

The 'let's all laugh at the clueless punters' segment reading out interweb comments always makes me feel a little uncomfortable....I know they could be said to be fair game by effectively broadcasting their words to the world, and for someone like Brooker it really is fish in a barrel time and presumably means he can knock off a 2 minute section of the weekly grind in, well two minutes, but it just feels a little mean spirited.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But those people who post are mean spirited themselves. Making fun of the celebrity world, safe and cocooned behind their keyboards.

Good episode this week. Highlight for me? The Super Mario theme!

... I am such a nerd. :p
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I'll use Mum's accident to flog some f***ing yoghurt!"

Love it! :D
  • highfrequencyhighfrequency Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Good show as usual. Probably better than the previous two.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I think the person you quoted meant that it's true today that some people still find the idea of men dancing with men (and all its connotations) disgusting, not that he/she personally agrees with that view and believes it to be "true".

That's what was so wonderful about the clip. Men dancing together is actually perfectly innocuous. It was like saying 'look at these men standing side by side in the supermarket - some people may find it disgusting!' It's all in the connotations of what happens later, nudge nudge wink wink, know what I mean, disgusting and fun activities that of course other people never, ever do, not even straights, even though statistics show they're the ones who actually do it more.

About Tim Key: God, performance poetry. Even when he's good (and I think he probably might be, I did actually laugh a lot at that one he did about the checkout and he's funny in other things) but I can't stop cringing at this. The screen title - 'topical poetry' - so amateur. Why shoot his segment in the foot right from the start?

Philomena Cunk is a star. Perhaps I just want Brooker to be a younger, hot woman. She opens her lipsticked mouth, his words come out of her like a dummy. Presumably his hand is up there somewhere too. It works for me.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But those people who post are mean spirited themselves. Making fun of the celebrity world, safe and cocooned behind their keyboards.

Good episode this week. Highlight for me? The Super Mario theme!

... I am such a nerd. :p

That is true in some cases but I agree with one or two other posters that there's something a bit uncomfortable about that section.
    Not because he's having a dig at internet users themselves, I suppose we're all fair game, but that in most of the snippets he reads out they don't seem to be that extreme to me. He seems to be being quite sarcastic at some quite innocuous posts really, but that they just happen to be posts which he happens to disagree with.

There was even one post a week or two ago where a poster was making a comment about a female celebrity only getting married to a 'minger' because she knows that she has the money to pay for the plastic surgery to repair the offsprings ugly face when they get older.

Now to me, that appears as though the poster is possibly deliberately being sarcastic and doing the sort of thing Charlie usually does. But that the humour within that post went right over Charlie's head as though internet users aren't capable of being satirical or sarcastic themselves.

It's just the targeting which seems a bit off for me.
    Even on DS we've seen incredible posts which are probably more worthy of value to have the piss ripped out of them, but Charlie seems to be going for internet posts which mostly don't seem to be that extreme for me.
    Some of them just seem to be doing what Charlie does on his show, albeit not as well in most cases.

He seems to be turning just a bit too establishment for me at the moment and isn't hitting all the right notes which he used to do so incredibly well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked gay marriage scene. Especially sarcastic reference of "Mandate". That was increddibly hilarious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    shitpeas was absolutely incredible when he first appeared (and was used very very sparingly). now he's pretty meh with the occasional high note. cunk is generally awful. that bruce willis bit was yak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yetiboy wrote: »
    cunk is generally awful. .

I guess thing i don't like in her is boring intonation and some flat humour. But anyway, something still makes me laugh because of primitiveness of these points.
  • shedsevenshedseven Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed last nights show. Cunk 'out-Shitpeased' Shitpeas for the first time for me. Laugh out loud funny. Brooker at his agitated and narky best - another good half hour of tv that stands out from the hours of utter bollocks that somehow gets airtime.