How can Janet Jackson achieve commercial success again?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
Forum Member
✭✭
Ever since the infamous Superbowl incident, her album sales have plummeted rapidly. Her last two studio albums - 20 Y.O and Discipline flopped badly.

How can she turn this around?

It looks like Mariah may have a hit on her hands with #Beautiful. How can Janet, the Queen, make chart impact again?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    FernandoM wrote: »
    Janet, the Queen,

:confused:

Doesn't that title belong to Madonna?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last I heard she had retired and converted to Islam.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does she really need to? She's had the kind of career most popstars could only dream of. Not everyone wants to be like Madonna, who is probably still going to try and be relevant in the retirement home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Does she really need to? She's had the kind of career most popstars could only dream of. Not everyone wants to be like Madonna, who is probably still going to try and be relevant in the retirement home.

Not really but it would be nice for her to have one more hit album - end on a high!
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I think it's pretty obvious why 20YO did badly... It was shite.

However, Discipline was fantastic and both deserved to do much better. Feedback was also one of her strongest singles in a long time but she didn't get much support. I think with a some promo and radio play she could have another hit.

She hasn't really had a proper hit single since All For You. :(
    Forum Member
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Not everyone wants to be like Madonna, who is probably still going to try and be relevant in the retirement home.

Madonna is 54, not 84.
    I'd love to know what your views are on older woman like Cher, considering her comeback is only around the corner.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (If she decides to return to music) she needs to drop all the overtly sexual stuff and start working again with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis!
    Forum Member
    (If she decides to return to music) she needs to drop all the overtly sexual stuff and start working again with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis!

I agree.

How many more songs about quivering Vajs and oral sex must we endure before she gets bored?
    Her moans were considered cool on earlier songs like "Throb" but went stale after repeatedly doing it on god knows how many albums. Oh and she needs to get rid of those Interludes too.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.

How many more songs about quivering Vajs and oral sex must we endure before she gets bored?

Her moans were considered cool on earlier songs like "Throb" but went stale after repeatedly doing it on god knows how many albums. Oh and she needs to get rid of those Interludes too.

That's rich coming from someone who brought Madonna into this. I don't recall Janet resorting to releasing a sex book...Plus Janet taught Madonna a lesson in shade when she commented on Erotica...

"She didn't even sell that many albums. Her last album sold 2 million. They shipped it, but it got shipped back". :o

I think Janet has achieved what she wanted to in her career. She did a greatest hits in 2009, and I never got the impression that she wanted to continue after that. Artists can't keep going forever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    That's rich coming from someone who brought Madonna into this. I don't recall Janet resorting to releasing a sex book...Plus Janet taught Madonna a lesson in shade when she commented on Erotica...

"She didn't even sell that many albums. Her last album sold 2 million. They shipped it, but it got shipped back". :o

I think Janet has achieved what she wanted to in her career. She did a greatest hits in 2009, and I never got the impression that she wanted to continue after that. Artists can't keep going forever.

oh seriously stop talking crap Janet backtracked that interview and what she said a couple years down the line...Madonnas Erotica album was not about being erotic or abotu sex...the SEX book was ironic and humourous and bad taste ...a photo analysis if you will....Janet didnt have the guts nor balls to do anything that brave or risky and she knew it which is why she said it.....however in 2004 when she wanted to push her "safe image" from ALl For You out of the window it backfired...and Damita Jo ironically shipped 2 million :o;) which is a shame as DJ is actually a far superior album to All For You and 20 YO that came two years later...far far superior.

So enough of f-ing fan wars....Janet and Madonna appreciate each other there is a mutual respect. So dont drag dirt up over something that was taken back in 1995 anyway :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now as for Janet....she has openly stated she has retired from the music industry, converted to Islam and had a secret wedding etc et.....i really dont think she cares anymore....she has done what she wanted to and brought a lot out there across the late 80s and 90s,.she really doesnt have anything left to showcase or prove or delve next really...its just a shame she ended it with a whimper and not something massive....but it was destined to be that way ultimately which is a shame...as her last tour proved hat she still had her presence and stance there.....never know though...later this decade she may do something one off...but i dont expect anything for a while still.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

its just a shame she ended it with a whimper and not something massive.

This totally sums up the situation for Janet!

I imagine that if her last studio album fared better, she would still want to release music.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh seriously stop talking crap Janet backtracked that interview and what she said a couple years down the line...Madonnas Erotica album was not about being erotic or abotu sex...the SEX book was ironic and humourous and bad taste ...a photo analysis if you will....Janet didnt have the guts nor balls to do anything that brave or risky and she knew it which is why she said it.....however in 2004 when she wanted to push her "safe image" from ALl For You out of the window it backfired...and Damita Jo ironically shipped 2 million :o;) which is a shame as DJ is actually a far superior album to All For You and 20 YO that came two years later...far far superior.

So enough of f-ing fan wars....Janet and Madonna appreciate each other there is a mutual respect. So dont drag dirt up over something that was taken back in 1995 anyway :cool:

It's not necessary to resort to personal insults to support your argument. Erotica was met with a massive backlash and it was banned in some countries. There's no point arguing that Madonna wasn't trying to sell sex. That's exactly what she was doing and has been doing for some time. The Sex book proved that further. She was an icon to people of all ages including the young, and propagating such explicit material was nothing to do with irony. It was a shock tactic and nothing more. :)
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not necessary to resort to personal insults to support your argument. Erotica was met with a massive backlash and it was banned in some countries. There's no point arguing that Madonna wasn't trying to sell sex. That's exactly what she was doing and has been doing for some time. The Sex book proved that further. She was an icon to people of all ages including the young, and propagating such explicit material was nothing to do with irony. It was a shock tactic and nothing more. :)

Erotica was actually a quite critically acclaimed album. I don't see where the backlash about it was. Yes, there was a backlash about the book Sex. There was a sexual part to it of course, but there was also irony and things she was saying about the role of women and rights of gay people. People found it shocking because of people's attitudes towards sex but that doesn't her only motivation was to shock. And I don't think Madonna was an icon to the young at that time. Most people who liked Madonna at that time weren't children, but were already adults. In the 80's, she had young fans, but from the 90's on I would say the majority of Madonna's fans are adults.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well you were bringing u phistory that isnt even history...those stats were far from it...take into account that Janet had a massive depression state too around that time too dont forget...

Erotica had a backlash due to the fact no other album ever was created like it before or after....U2 with Achtung Baby also had so much more criticism than anything they had done before the same time epriod too....but it has gone on as a milestone for the decade and Erotica is proof of that...Madonna does not sell "sex" Madonna sells something that can be related too...she sells a distorted view of reality....that is the definition of what Pop Art is....that is what Warhol did when he was alive....only Madonna puts it to music...its ironic, its political, its honest, its tough...its MADONNA :cool:

and the SEX book was utilised to open peoples eyes....dont forget the late 80s early 90s it was dangerous to speak f such taboos which was crazy talk...so why not ram it in cutlures face and shape history at the same time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FernandoM wrote: »
    This totally sums up the situation for Janet!

I imagine that if her last studio album fared better, she would still want to release music.

Totally....Discipline has many high moments ....i mean she branched out...while she didnt have a single writing credit to a song you could tell she was inspried at least with the album....but it was embraced, shwocased and ropped after three months! :o a shame...i really like it and was one of my top albums of 2008...an every summer i still blast it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only bought one album by Janet, the Velvet Rope which I love. But for some reason, I've never been interested in checking out her other music. I don't see anything wrong with her being sexual if she wants. So I'm not sure that's the reason why she isn't successful anymore. I just think it's going to be hard for her to have success because she's been away for a long time. I suppose the best route is through touring. But wasn't her last tour cancelled in the middle? If you get the reputation of not showing up or cancelling stuff, people are reluctant to take the chance to buy tickets to see you again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Erotica was actually a quite critically acclaimed album. I don't see where the backlash about it was. Yes, there was a backlash about the book Sex. There was a sexual part to it of course, but there was also irony and things she was saying about the role of women and rights of gay people. People found it shocking because of people's attitudes towards sex but that doesn't her only motivation was to shock. And I don't think Madonna was an icon to the young at that time. Most people who liked Madonna at that time weren't children, but were already adults. In the 80's, she had young fans, but from the 90's on I would say the majority of Madonna's fans are adults.

I think as ever with Madonna...the imagery and visuals get confused with the music and what s being actually showcased to everyone....I mean i see no reason why....so many powerful images stem from her most controversial eras...its riveting...

And yeah i mean young adults, teens were of coruse massive M fans....it is that appeal that is cross-generational with Madonna...she appeals to many who have a good ear, a good real broad mindset and open mindset and due to this it has ensured 4 decades in she will always have an audience that want her and need her and are ready for her.....2 million albums sold with zero promo and in an era where if it isnt downloaded for free it isnt worth getting....she did/does well to date :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only bought one album by Janet, the Velvet Rope which I love. But for some reason, I've never been interested in checking out her other music. I don't see anything wrong with her being sexual if she wants. So I'm not sure that's the reason why she isn't successful anymore. I just think it's going to be hard for her to have success because she's been away for a long time. I suppose the best route is through touring. But wasn't her last tour cancelled in the middle? If you get the reputation of not showing up or cancelling stuff, people are reluctant to take the chance to buy tickets to see you again.

The thing is Janet is the definition of an artist that had it, lost it, regained it and lost it again and i guess that inconsistency in commercial viability, creative showcase and ultimate success also is a put off...which is a shame as i love Janet....her COntrol album is so funkaaaay, her Rhythm Nation album is a masterpiece it really really is...so much more variation and her most versatile album of her career i believe....Janet. and Velvet Rope are also very very good albums....i get worn out by their length and duration however sometimes....take 5 or 6 songs out and it would feel more well rounded really but hey :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think part of the reason why I never connected with Janet was her personality. I know she can't help how she is, but she comes off as shy and awkward. She doesn't have that charisma on stage that makes me really connect with her. Madonna can be shy in interviews but she comes alive on stage. Part of Janet's problem is she neither has an amazing technical voice or a great stage presence and charisma, which are the two main things that get fans attached to an artist so that they are super loyal and follow them no matter what. I think Janet is the type of artist people like a few songs by, but they don't really feel a deep seated loyalty to her for whatever reason.
  • jacqueline_greejacqueline_gree Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:

Doesn't that title belong to Madonna?

No, to beyonce.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    I agree.

This is what put me off JJ. Madonna did it much better the 1st time round.

JJ should stick to the tried and tested formula of Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Hit makers and they understand her.
    Forum Member

The sex book was a one off which accompanied the Erotica album and she hasn't made a follow up since.

Unlike Janet, Madonna didn't stick with the same sound and hire the same producers for YEARS on end.
    Madonna's albums all sound different to the last because she evolved and has been evolving with each album.

It's extremely hypocritical of Janet to bitch about Erotica by saying: "What I do has class to it" and then have the audacity to record the best part of a decade in a recording studio fr!g*ing herself off.

...and the only lesson Janet ever taught Madonna was how to flush your career down the toilet by putting out a decade's worth of sh!tty material without any kind of evolution whatsoever, and that's before I get started on the Superbowl.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Part of Janet's problem is she neither has an amazing technical voice or a great stage presence and charisma

Really?
    She was on fire till the late 90s. She managed to last a good 15 years+ selling well and being an icon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS1p5vrlKj4

For me, her and Tina Turner are the standard by which all modern female performers strive to. Madonna did well, but imo Janet and Tina at their peaks did it better. And through pure talent.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Janet could get some UAC hits maybe.