Barrister's wage ?

CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
Forum Member
✭✭
Can anyone tell me (on average), what the wage of a Barrister is ?

I know it sounds trivial, but I really need to know.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm....I dunno average but I know they can earn up to 200k a year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Depends on the area of law - and some earn a lot more than 200k.

There is no set wage as you are self-employed so it all depends on your billings for that year.
  • magnificentmagnificent Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Explore_types_of_jobs/Types_of_Job/p!eipaL?state=showocc&idno=395&pageno=2

Typical earnings/receipts for self-employed barristers range from £15,000 - £45,000 net within five years of call (salary data collected April 05).

Typical earnings/receipts at senior levels range from £70,000 - £110,000 net for ten or more years of call (salary data collected April 05).

Top Queen's Counsel (QC) can earn £500,000+ per year (salary data collected April 05).
  • elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barristers are self employed. You earn money on a case by case basis. The money you earn depends how senior you are, what your speciality is and what cases you take on.

My husband is a barrister and earns a good (though not astronomical) wage for his age bracket - he has only been fully qualified for four years.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Members of the Criminal Bar threatened a strike over low pay a while ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4611239.stm

(2005)
    Hourly pay rates for these cases do not include preparation time and expenses.
    Current hourly rates for defending in legal aid cases are

Current hourly rates for defending in legal aid cases are £33.50 for a junior, £47 for a leading junior and £62.50 for a QC.
  • horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont forget if you need to do your pupillage first then you won't be getting paid for a year whilst you train
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cousin is a qualified barrister but she now works as a solicitor and is on a big fat salary, more than she would have been able to earn as a barrister (she reckons anyway)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Dont forget if you need to do your pupillage first then you won't be getting paid for a year whilst you train

Actually you do get paid for your pupillage year. The Bar Council has set a minimum amount that must be paid each 'six' (months) and in your second six, you will be earning as well.

Although having said that, the amount chambers have to pay you is only £5000 each 6 months, but many chambers (generally the non-criminal ones) offer more than that.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elena wrote:
    Barristers are self employed. You earn money on a case by case basis. The money you earn depends how senior you are, what your speciality is and what cases you take on.

My husband is a barrister and earns a good (though not astronomical) wage for his age bracket - he has only been fully qualified for four years.

Oooh I bet you have some interesting conversations over the dinner table. :)
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elena wrote:

& you also have to remember it can take months to get paid & if you do legal aid work sometimes even longer - you then have to take into account the money you have to pay into Chambers as well as your TAX/NI as a self employed person & your VAT bill at the end of each quarter - I work in barristers Chambers & the amount each barristers earns over a 12 month period can not only vary because of your year of call but also from year to year depending on what sort of work you do - you event have to take into account that some barristers are more productive than other so someone of only a few years call can earn as much if not more than someone their senior if they work hard
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shak3000 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Why do you really need to know?
  • KINGFISHER 30KINGFISHER 30 Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    A barristers wage is for me the single biggest travesty of justice in this country.

I am being serious
  • magnificentmagnificent Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A barristers wage is for me the single biggest travesty of justice in this country.

I am being serious

Why so?
  • Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why so?

That's obviously a leading question which is worthy of a considered response.
  • Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's obviously a leading question which is worthy of a considered response.

Oooooh, can I don the black cap now ? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote:
    & you also have to remember it can take months to get paid & if you do legal aid work sometimes even longer - you then have to take into account the money you have to pay into Chambers as well as your TAX/NI as a self employed person & your VAT bill at the end of each quarter - I work in barristers Chambers & the amount each barristers earns over a 12 month period can not only vary because of your year of call but also from year to year depending on what sort of work you do - you event have to take into account that some barristers are more productive than other so someone of only a few years call can earn as much if not more than someone their senior if they work hard

Well indeed. It does vary, and as others have said it depends on your speciality. My husband pratices from a set that is largely criminal in makeup (he himself is a criminal barrister) - criminal barristers don't tend to earn as much as commercial barristers, for instance.

As for people moaning about the wages - I think you've got to put it in perspective that the bar is probably the most competitive career path in this country and so many people try to become barristers and don't make it, even though they're really good and well qualified. There's so many hurdles and pitfalls, and you've got to fund your way through the BVC which is a fair amount of money. If you're studying or are a pupil in London, there's things like living expenses to consider. It's not easy by any means.

Once you are qualified as a barrister, it doesn't necessarily mean you're going to earn lots of money. Some newly-qualified barristers sink and may have to wait weeks for a case because it's all based on reputation and performance. It is one of these professions where those at the very top can command huge salaries, but that's the same with most professions, really.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know any barristers, but know a couple of solicitors. The best criminal & motoring solicitor in our area is not a big fan of barristers. Can't post what he say's about barristers or I'd get banned. But basically, he is the first person people call if they are in trouble (criminal or motoring) and where he has to refer to a barrister (Crown Court?) he will only refer to a good one as it's his reputation and business on the line.

So Barrister income - who you know + reputation + ability = income. Same as any other business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,238
    Forum Member
    Shak3000 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

A Barrister i had to use a fews yeas ago charged £120 an hour
  • CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elena wrote:
    If you're studying or are a pupil in London, there's things like living expenses to consider. It's not easy by any means.

Plenty of other, far less well-paid professions exist in London, too...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plenty of other, far less well-paid professions exist in London, too...

Trainee barristers earn only around £10k a year, and the BVC costs around that amount as well.

Most trainees have just come from degree courses so will have a fair amount of debt on their head already. Most will need to take out extra loans to pay for living expenses and the cost of training as a barrister.

Yes, it can be OK financially if you qualify without coming up against any hurdles (ie not finding pupilage, not finding a vacancy in chambers) and you go on to gain a good reputation, but you can't underestimate the fact that it's one of the toughest and most competitive career paths, and definitely one of the most expensive training routes.

I'm not disputing that there are less well paid jobs in London. I think that's fairly obvious.
  • CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elena wrote:
    I'm not disputing that there are less well paid jobs in London. I think that's fairly obvious.

I didn't say you were. I was just making a point...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member

I am being serious

Why is it a travesty? i am a barrister and earn good money which i work hard. dont listen to this retard i earn around ninty thousand a year and im a junior but i went through four years of uni and law school so why shouldnt i earn good money. The amount of money you earn is completely down to you i earn very little compared to some however i have only been in pratice for nearly two years. My wage in ten years time will be around 130 - 170 thousand this will completely depend on who much i work and how many cases i want to pick up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Why then, given your obvious "intelligence", did you feel it necessary to drag up a nearly FOUR YEAR OLD thread so that you could brag about what you earn?

Welcome to Digital Spy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Why then, given your obvious "intelligence", did you feel it necessary to drag up a nearly FOUR YEAR OLD thread so that you could brag about what you earn?

Welcome to Digital Spy!

Especially with the poor spelling - not a good advertisement!
  • County CourtCounty Court Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    harriet1 wrote: »
    Why is it a travesty? i am a barrister and earn good money which i work hard. dont listen to this retard i earn around ninty thousand a year and im a junior but i went through four years of uni and law school so why shouldnt i earn good money. The amount of money you earn is completely down to you i earn very little compared to some however i have only been in pratice for nearly two years. My wage in ten years time will be around 130 - 170 thousand this will completely depend on who much i work and how many cases i want to pick up.

Looks like a new troll.