Resident Evil to get Re-boot?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like RE 1,2 and 3 but i also like RE 4 and 6

So if they stay as an action game i'm happy if they do back to horror i'm happy

i guess it's because i care about character and story more than care about genre
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you like 4&6 and not like 5, RE5 rapes RE6 on every level, from story to characters to game play.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love a reboot AND a remake. Quite frankly, in terms of atmosphere and "fear factor", the Resident Evil remake on Gamecube is top of the charts. An absolutely superb game, and I'd love to see that done with 2 & (especially) 3. Using that same kind of engine, they could make Nemesis absolutely terrifying.

In terms of the reboot, I'd be happy to see the return of fixed camera angles and t-virus zombies. They admitted that they were aiming at the COD crowd with 6 and thus, failed spectacularly. Now is the time to reel back in the old Resi crowds. Make Claire the protagonist, with possibly Jill as a second character. We've seen too much of Leon and Chris for now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    How can you like 4&6 and not like 5, RE5 rapes RE6 on every level, from story to characters to game play.

ROGER ROGER ROGER ROGER ROGER ROGER

Throw me up onto that path where i only need to press a switch but i'll manage to waste half of the supplies because i'm a shit A.I

Yes this egg is the same size as this rocket launcher, we'll be fed for weeks

It's a terrible game with terrible A.I if it worked so we'll and is amazing why did they overhaul the A.I and make them invincible in resi 6

Characters Chris and Sheeva

or

Leon, Helena, Chris, Peirs, Sherry, Jake and Ada

i know which one i prefer

Trust me i bought the resi evil 5 360 and if anyone should be finding the good in the shit and praising it more than it deserves then it's me but even after laying down £230 for the console and game i just can't even like it

When PS plus gave the gold edition to me for free, i could barely get through what would of been a second playthrough after several years and gave up in chapter 3

The motorbike chase is pretty cool though and that level which is basically a QTE on the ship was awesome

Its a terrible game, Rant over
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't know why everyone slags off resi6 ... I'm playing through it for the 2nd time & loving it ... Sometimes I think people just jump on the hate bandwagon like sheep. :rolleyes:
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resi 6 is an improvement over 5, but the game is still broken. It's only good in co-op with a mate.

The series needs completely rebooted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I honestly don't know why everyone slags off resi6 ... I'm playing through it for the 2nd time & loving it ... Sometimes I think people just jump on the hate bandwagon like sheep. :rolleyes:

Its the same reason DmC is getting hate, it's different so 'real fans' hate it

Resi 6 was one of favorite games last year in the top three alone with
    Farcry 3 which i played even though i hated the second and
    Mass Effect 3 which i agree the ending was bullshit, it didn't ruin the experience of getting there though

If i was one of these 'real fans' of these games, i'd hate Dmc, Resi 6 and mass effect 3 and i would never of farcry, i guess sometimes not being a moaning little bitch helps, if you just go on other forums not just these ones, people can be real pathetic, these forums are incredibly tame
  • caz06caz06 Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think a remake/reboot is what the franchise needs, i personally think that capcom are slowly starting to realise the horror is when they need to stick, in RE6, the most popular chapter is leons purely because it was more the old horror style from the early games, and revelations also shows that too, i could think of nothing better than playing an open world game in racoon city, if done correctly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Thank god, Resident Evil 6 is easily the worst game i've bought this generation (and i'm not bandwagon jumping there), if they'd made another like Resi 6 then i would have definitely passed on it. It really needs to go back to it's horror roots rather than being an action game with stupidly OTT cut scenes. My reason for hating RE6 was that in my opinion it was ineptly designed, i mean who in their right mind thought that fighting the same boss around 7 times in different forms was a good idea? It was just annoying, boring and frustrating. Same goes for the terrible "climb the ladders with the triggers" sequence near the end of Leon's campaign, that bit was about as fun as finding out you've got an incurable disease.

I enjoyed Resi 5 infinitely more than 6, i actually liked Resi 5, it just felt almost the same as Resi 4 and i never got why people hated on it (you can pretty much ignore Sheva, i never had a problem with her), by comparison Resi 6 feels like some sort of poor imitation, to me anyway.

The fact that Capcom are talking about rebooting it clearly shows that i'm not in the minority with this opinion. So while i'm glad some people in this thread enjoyed the game, i really don't think that anybody with a negative opinion of the game are necessarily bandwagon jumpers, we have genuine reasons for our dislike of the game.

For the record, i enjoyed Mass Effect 3, even the ending, and i also don't get why people seem to irrationally hate DmC just because they changed the character model, i mean the Chris model in Resi 5 doesn't look exactly like the model in Resi 1 or Code Veronica either! Stop the presses!!!:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Thank god, Resident Evil 6 is easily the worst game i've bought this generation (and i'm not bandwagon jumping there), if they'd made another like Resi 6 then i would have definitely passed on it. It really needs to go back to it's horror roots rather than being an action game with stupidly OTT cut scenes. My reason for hating RE6 was that in my opinion it was ineptly designed, i mean who in their right mind thought that fighting the same boss around 7 times in different forms was a good idea? It was just annoying, boring and frustrating. Same goes for the terrible "climb the ladders with the triggers" sequence near the end of Leon's campaign, that bit was about as fun as finding out you've got an incurable disease.

I enjoyed Resi 5 infinitely more than 6, i actually liked Resi 5, it just felt almost the same as Resi 4 and i never got why people hated on it (you can pretty much ignore Sheva, i never had a problem with her), by comparison Resi 6 feels like some sort of poor imitation, to me anyway.

The fact that Capcom are talking about rebooting it clearly shows that i'm not in the minority with this opinion. So while i'm glad some people in this thread enjoyed the game, i really don't think that anybody with a negative opinion of the game are necessarily bandwagon jumpers, we have genuine reasons for our dislike of the game.

For the record, i enjoyed Mass Effect 3, even the ending, and i also don't get why people seem to irrationally hate DmC just because they changed the character model, i mean the Chris model in Resi 5 doesn't look exactly like the model in Resi 1 or Code Veronica either! Stop the presses!!!:rolleyes:

Don't Play final fantasy then cause they've been doing that for years

Hang on a Sec, how many times do you fight Nemesis, Tyrant,William Birkin, Albert Wesker during the resident evil games, so its okay and then its not, colour me confused
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Hang on a Sec, how many times do you fight Nemesis, Tyrant,William Birkin, Albert Wesker during the resident evil games, so its okay and then its not, colour me confused

You fight all of those multiple times, i'll give you that, but encounters with them are generally more spaced out than the boss in RE6, Wesker in particular is across multiple games, but you fight RE6's boss seven or eight times in less than 90 minutes. I just found it really annoying. You actually disintegrate the f*cker at one point (iirc) and he still comes back five minutes later...
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    CSI-uk wrote: »

I LOVED 4+6 and liked 5 but its definatly my least favorite of the 3

I prefer the locations and story in 4+6.
    6 did have problems ill admit but I thought it was a great game
    the camera being to close is not even an issue now since the patch fixed it thank god!! lol
    Forum Member
    I don't think capcom will fully reboot the franchise just yet I think they will just scale it back down to how RE4 was and use a single location and focus on the terror more than the action aspect since capcom really knows how people feel about the franchise now after 6.

Obviously the next RE will be next gen so heres hoping it can be as freaky as the REMAKE was.

Revelations was a good one so capcom can still pull it out of the bag when they want to glad its coming to consoles.

to win back some fans maybe a RE2 remake would be a good leaving present for this generation before RE7

the know the story, they have the designs they just have to rebuild it with the current engine there using
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would they do yet more remakes?!

Resident evil 1, also had a HD remake on the 64, then a complete remake on the gamecube which was actually very good.

RE 2, also had a HD remake on N64, dreamcast and PC and Gamecube.

RE3, also had a HD remake on N64, dreamcast and gamecube

RE4, had a downscaling remake on ps2, then a slight upscaling and added content on PC

5&6 were crap so who cares, also too soon for a remake anyway.

Code Veronica Has never had a remake, but would be a good one to have one in all fairness and its often overlooked. The last true Resident Evil befure they just aped Gears of Bore.

Gun Survivor 1 & 2 were just cash ins on the House of the Dead and Time Crisis of the PSX days, no remake needed really. Plus they sucked badly.

Resident Evil 1 was scary and awesome, but only if you played it when it first came out. The graphics were amazing and everything fully voiced. Looking back, the graphics look awful, the voice acting is so bad its awesome "Jill...........dont open that door......" "but chris is............*bang*".

THe whole series has had an identity crisis ever since Silent Hill showed it how to do horror games properly. Then Silent Hill did homecoming and ruined there own chances. LONG LIVE PENUMBRA AND AMNESIA FOR SCARES!
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    I would love a reboot AND a remake. Quite frankly, in terms of atmosphere and "fear factor", the Resident Evil remake on Gamecube is top of the charts. An absolutely superb game, and I'd love to see that done with 2 & (especially) 3. Using that same kind of engine, they could make Nemesis absolutely terrifying.

In terms of the reboot, I'd be happy to see the return of fixed camera angles and t-virus zombies. They admitted that they were aiming at the COD crowd with 6 and thus, failed spectacularly. Now is the time to reel back in the old Resi crowds. Make Claire the protagonist, with possibly Jill as a second character. We've seen too much of Leon and Chris for now.

I would love a Remake of 1 'updated from GC with HD,2 & 3 in glorious HD. I agree aswel Nemesis would look so scary in HD:o the Gamecube re-make was/is the best resi for me it had everything a Resi game should have.

I think they should do the Remakes release them in order or all in 1 collection then re-boot the franchise.

I wasnt not a fan of 5 and 6 cause they went down the 'please the COD fans' route with it being all about the action.

It needs to go back to Pure survival horror and with T-virus zombies Forget the las plagas virus i hate them enemies it worked for 4 cause it was new.

I woulnt mind the fixed camera angles cause for me thats what added to the atmosphere not knowing was in front or behind you you.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »

Resident evil 1, also had a HD remake on the 64, then a complete remake on the gamecube which was actually very good.

RE4, had a downscaling remake on ps2, then a slight upscaling and added content on PC

Code Veronica Has never had a remake, but would be a good one to have one in all fairness and its often overlooked. The last true Resident Evil befure they just aped Gears of Bore.

Gun Survivor 1 & 2 were just cash ins on the House of the Dead and Time Crisis of the PSX days, no remake needed really. Plus they sucked badly.

Resident Evil 1 was scary and awesome, but only if you played it when it first came out. The graphics were amazing and everything fully voiced. Looking back, the graphics look awful, the voice acting is so bad its awesome "Jill...........dont open that door......" "but chris is............*bang*".

THe whole series has had an identity crisis ever since Silent Hill showed it how to do horror games properly. Then Silent Hill did homecoming and ruined there own chances. LONG LIVE PENUMBRA AND AMNESIA FOR SCARES!

2 and 3 on the gamecube were not re-makes they were just imported from Ps1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »

I'm not hating for the sake of it or because others hate it, I paid good money for it, I wanted to like it, I tried to like it. But its crap, my opinion only, but its the worse of all Resi games with the exception of raccoon city.

Talk of a reboot says it all really, if re6 was the way for the series to be taken then a reboot wouldn't be needed. Another RE like RE6 would finish it off for good. Dreadful dreadful RE game.
    Forum Member

Er resident evil has only done 1 remake and that was the first game on gamecube back in 2002

The rest your mentioning there is not remakes they were ports with a few bits and bobs added

Remakeing the second game would win back alot of support from the lost RE fans i reckon then they can venture onto RE 7 on the next gen consoles not as a reboot but a new chapter in the series kinda like was RE 4 was back in 05
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would they do yet more remakes?

Big difference between a remake and a port.

The REmake on the GC is one of my favourite games of all time, still looks stunning to this day.
    Forum Member
    It does but it looks horrible on a 55inch lcd from gamecube its all blurry and faded it ruins it imo

Wish it was released on the ps store or something
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    biggebruv wrote: »
    It does but it looks horrible on a 55inch lcd from gamecube its all blurry and faded it ruins it imo

Are you running it through a component cable? Gamecube games come out well on modern TVs, in my experience.
    Forum Member
    No composite is all i have noway am i paying over 50bucks for a wire

And just dont have mney to spare to be going out and buying a wii
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Masachika Kawata:- "Survival horror as a genre is never going to be on the same level, financially, as shooters and much more popular, mainstream games."

Lets hope they keep that in mind for the reboot.

For me the series really needs to get back to its roots, and I don't mean cheap scares, I want mansions, corridors full of zombrex starved zombie, classic Resident Evil sound tracks, no checkpoints, no AI partner to save your ass, I want good old fashioned typewriter saves :D

A mix of Resi 1,2,3,Veronica with Revelations and hint of Resi 4 - PERFECT !

By all means update the controls, but fit that into a game that's essentially Resident Evil, that feels like Resident Evil.

The rot needs to stop at Resi Evil 6 or I wash my hands of the series for good.
    Forum Member
    Masachika Kawata:- "Survival horror as a genre is never going to be on the same level, financially, as shooters and much more popular, mainstream games."

Lets hope they keep that in mind for the reboot.

For me the series really needs to get back to its roots, and I don't mean cheap scares, I want mansions, corridors full of zombrex starved zombie, classic Resident Evil sound tracks, no checkpoints, no AI partner to save your ass, I want good old fashioned typewriter saves :D

A mix of Resi 1,2,3,Veronica with Revelations and hint of Resi 4 - PERFECT !

By all means update the controls, but fit that into a game that's essentially Resident Evil, that feels like Resident Evil.

The rot needs to stop at Resi Evil 6 or I wash my hands of the series for good.

Lol no waywill those typewriters be coming back

I want the A.I gone though a dark creepy huge ocation is needed

RE6 missed a big opertunity with the ivy uni setting universitys in usa are huge

They could have had dorms all over the place lots of more classrooms to explore creepy scenes could have been made they should have had hunters roaming around the halls stuff like that

The uni setting could have made a great resi gameby itself by having a lab underneat it aswell well every otherresi game did it so why not lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    biggebruv wrote: »
    No composite is all i have noway am i paying over 50bucks for a wire

And just dont have mney to spare to be going out and buying a wii

Ah, that's a shame. I'd forgotten how ridiculously expensive those Gamecube component leads became.

The Resi franchise has always sat somewhat uneasily within the Japanese survival horror genre. Silent Hill, Project Zero, Clock Tower et al. emphasise atmosphere over combat. Compare the cover of the original Silent Hill - a grimy portrait of a sickly young woman - with the cover of the original Resi, which looked like something you'd fish out of the bargain bin at Choices. When Resi shifted over to a more combat oriented approach in 4, it really wasn't all that unprecedented - the writing had been on the wall since Code Veronica.

In a way, then, 4 was the height of the series, the full-on action game that the earlier games were always kinda hinting at. Trouble is, now that pretty much every shooter has adopted (and improved upon) its mechanics, the franchise once again feels out of step. I've yet to play 6 but in 5, the controls felt as though I was trying to steer a tractor through a hedge maze. Talk of a reboot is all well and good but what roots are there, exactly, to go back to? Zombie games are dime a dozen nowadays so the two-shufflers-per-room formula would hardly work again.

If anything, I think they should double down and go back to whatever spark of innovation led to 4, see if they can give the genre a shake up all over again.