iPad/iPhone Apps out via AV Adapter or Apple TV

BonnyriggerBonnyrigger Posts: 757
Forum Member
✭✭
Had my iPad since May and wondered if there was a comprehensive list of what apps do and do not output over the lightning AV adaptor?

My own limited testing so far:

Yes

Netflix
iPlayer
BT Sport
Spotify
Browsing etc

No

Now TV
Lovefilm
Sky Go

I don't have Apple TV but I presume the same rules apply, would be nice if apps with the restriction indicated this in the App store before downloading them.

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to go into the gory technical detail over here but when you use a cable with your ipad connected to the TV, in loose terms it is 'airplaying' over the cable.

Yes, I know airplay is meant to mean wirelessly streaming. The lightning AV cable has a little SoC built-in that on-the-fly decodes from airplay format into HDMI format. The iPad itself creates an airplay video stream from your video and sends that over lighting to the cable. This is why the picture quality wouldn't be as good as, say a PC/Mac outputting over HDMI which is a genuine HDMI signal once it leaves the computer.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read on other sites that lovefilm doesn't work when mirroring with the Apple TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to confirm, I have tried both the cable and Apple TV for Lovefilm from my ipad, and no it not working.. Thinking of dropping it.