Metallica at Glastonbury.

Comments

• calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they'll go down well with the audience they get - whatever anyone thinks of any big artist headlining a festival, they are usually there on merit.

What might be more interesting is how big the audience is. I remember when Moby headlined a few years ago. People (perhaps not knowing Moby) thought he would be a bit of a wash out, but he absolutely rocked and went down a storm. But people still probably knew enough of his stuff to be interested in the first place.

I'm just not sure that, comparatively, much Metallica stuff is known to the wider audience as most festival headliners. I think that's what they have to overcome, rather than not actually being any good.

But its the great thing about Glastonbury - the diversity of artists that play over the years. Jay-Z I guess is another example when people weren't convinced, but ended up being incredible. From the moment he took the piss out of Liam (which I don't think they showed on the tv?) the audience were putty in his hands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/22/michael-eavis-glastonbury-questions-jarvis-cocker-john-humphrys-kelis

it's amazing how a writer can take a bunch of comments and create a brand new one with a different meaning from them. I'm not a metallica fan, but I'm not going to Glastonbury so it doesn't matter to me if they play or not, and the same should apply to anyone else not going. don't watch them on the telly if you don't like em. if you do go to glasto there are umpteen stages and things to do when metallica are playing if you don't like em. who knows, they could do a show that no-one expects and really surprises people. I'm more interested in the dexys set myself, it could be good

btw don letts was sitting near me when I saw prince at one of his secret shows earlier in the year. top bloke

Is it too early to start the Prince to Headline Glastonbury 2015 rumours? :D

The only thing that made me think he might play this year was the fact that this is the first Glastonbury I'm missing since I started going in 2002.

And yes - Don is a legend. Was great to finally see BAD at Glastonbury a few years ago.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I'd like them to open with Fight Fire With Fire, then go straight into Metal Militia.
    Third song would be That Was Just Your Life.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I think they'll go down well with the audience they get - whatever anyone thinks of any big artist headlining a festival, they are usually there on merit.

What might be more interesting is how big the audience is. I remember when Moby headlined a few years ago. People (perhaps not knowing Moby) thought he would be a bit of a wash out, but he absolutely rocked and went down a storm. But people still probably knew enough of his stuff to be interested in the first place.

I'm just not sure that, comparatively, much Metallica stuff is known to the wider audience as most festival headliners. I think that's what they have to overcome, rather than not actually being any good.

But its the great thing about Glastonbury - the diversity of artists that play over the years. Jay-Z I guess is another example when people weren't convinced, but ended up being incredible. From the moment he took the piss out of Liam (which I don't think they showed on the tv?) the audience were putty in his hands.

Tbh I think even Moby has fewer recognisable tunes than Metallica.

I just don't understand the furore over it. Huge band play huge festival - what is the issue here?
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it too early to start the Prince to Headline Glastonbury 2015 rumours? :D

The only thing that made me think he might play this year was the fact that this is the first Glastonbury I'm missing since I started going in 2002.

And yes - Don is a legend. Was great to finally see BAD at Glastonbury a few years ago.

I think prince is finished with glasto now.

I used to be a big BAD fan, saw them each time they came to town, always front row which was pretty mental full of old punks, and they used to play 1999 as encore. so to sit there in VIP with don letts a couple of seats away was pretty cool. I missed the reunion though. I wanted to go. I still listen to them a fair bit, especially the special edition of the first album
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    Tbh I think even Moby has fewer recognisable tunes than Metallica.

I just don't understand the furore over it. Huge band play huge festival - what is the issue here?

I don't know - for a while there Moby was pretty much everywhere. Wasn't Play famous for being the most album for commercials and the like?

I don't have a problem with Metallica - I just wouldn't be convinced that as many people would know as much Metallica as they might of other artists they weren't necessarily fans of.

My view is that any artist that excels in their given genre are going to be great musicians, and I have no doubt that Metallica are bound to be great live. I think any furore is likely to be largely in the imaginations of the media who want an angle to write about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    I think prince is finished with glasto now.

I used to be a big BAD fan, saw them each time they came to town, always front row which was pretty mental full of old punks, and they used to play 1999 as encore. so to sit there in VIP with don letts a couple of seats away was pretty cool. I missed the reunion though. I wanted to go. I still listen to them a fair bit, especially the special edition of the first album

Ha! I never knew that about 1999. I never saw them back in the day as I was pretty young, and where I lived was far from the tour circuit. So it was a good bit of nostalgia seeing them at Glastonbury.

I see the weather is flipping typical though - sort of dry and decent, and then that all too familiar cloud seems to have rolled up through the valley. At least I won't feel so bad about not being there this year if its wet!
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha! I never knew that about 1999. I never saw them back in the day as I was pretty young, and where I lived was far from the tour circuit. So it was a good bit of nostalgia seeing them at Glastonbury.

I see the weather is flipping typical though - sort of dry and decent, and then that all too familiar cloud seems to have rolled up through the valley. At least I won't feel so bad about not being there this year if its wet!

i think every show i went to they played 1999. they didn't do it on the reunion though. it's on the live dvd and live "bootleg" ally pally record
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I'd like them to open with Fight Fire With Fire, then go straight into Metal Militia.
    Third song would be That Was Just Your Life.

I would prefer....

So what?
    Battery
    Blackened
    ... And Justice For All
    The Four Horsemen

That should waken things up a little..... :D
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know - for a while there Moby was pretty much everywhere. Wasn't Play famous for being the most album for commercials and the like?

I don't have a problem with Metallica - I just wouldn't be convinced that as many people would know as much Metallica as they might of other artists they weren't necessarily fans of.

My view is that any artist that excels in their given genre are going to be great musicians, and I have no doubt that Metallica are bound to be great live. I think any furore is likely to be largely in the imaginations of the media who want an angle to write about.

The furore is media generated because the mainstream media have an innate hatred of Metal, a genre they know very little if anything about, and it covers for their ignorance.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Ffs, was that article written by a twelve year old?
    FFS are there any more people in America who walk around in public with hair like that?
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/video/2014/jun/28/glastonbury-metal-metallica-fans-video

It's hard to argue with Bruce Dickinson when you've got The Guardian making videos like this.

"What is that really famous song of theirs, Sandstorm is it?"

*Dude wearing a Metallica top* "Oh yeah, I love them, favourite songs, um..."
    *His friend* "Fade to Black"
    *Him* "Oh yeah, Fade to Black"
    *His friend" "Enter Sandman"
    *Him* "Yeah, Enter Sandman!"

*Finds a guy who says his friend is a huge Metallica fan and goes to interview him*
    "I own one of their albums, yeah"
    "Which one?"
    "I don't know"

"On a scale of 1-11 how metal are you?"
    "On one to 11 *finally gets the reference* - oh yeah, 11, definitely!"
    "How many Metallica songs can you name?"
    "About 4 or 5"
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/video/2014/jun/28/glastonbury-metal-metallica-fans-video

It's hard to argue with Bruce Dickinson when you've got The Guardian making videos like this.

Gotta love the ability of Bruce Dickinson to stir up a real shitstorm :D
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the boring dirge that's mostly been on so far I want The Pixies and Metallica to liven up Glastonbury a bit.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot about this thread and posted this on the bbc thread earlier. Metallica have a couple of new t-shirts and the back has some of the negative comments made about their Glastonbury appearance. Even their mascot has wellies. http://shop.probitymerch.com/stores/metallica/official_metallica_glastonbury-white_t-shirt_meta760_uk.html
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well they don't all seem to be moving away from the pyramid stage
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    well they don't all seem to be moving away from the pyramid stage

Looks like a pretty sizeable crowd waiting for them :)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/errnc8/live/cgfrbp
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a pretty sizeable crowd waiting for them :)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/errnc8/live/cgfrbp

I am quite excited tbh, :D
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ffs, was that article written by a twelve year old?
    It's the mail, all the journos there have a mental age of 12..at most.
    Forum Member
    I am quite excited tbh, :D

Strangely enough, so am I. :blush: I wish they'd get rid of those ridiculous flags though. Most other festivals have banned them.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dark clouds in background, maybe some lightning or a clap of thunder to welcome Metallica..that would be 'awesome'. :)
    Forum Member
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Dark clouds in background, maybe some lightning or a clap of thunder to welcome Metallica..that would be 'awesome'. :)

It's Metallica, not Gorgoroth :p

They're late
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's with all the people on the stage?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this limp bizkit shit is doing my head in
    Forum Member
    what's with all the people on the stage?

A choir maybe?