Is Jake Bugg the best breakthrough song writer of the 10's?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
Forum Member
I was trying to think up some competition but I can't come up with anyone, certainly not in Britain anyway.

What's your thoughts, is Jake the best this far or is there some other talent our there I'm overlooking?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura Marling is the best new British singer-songwriter in recent years. There's also so much more to come as she's nowhere near her peak yet imo.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    I don't think there's anything especially original or different about Jake Bugg, really. I listen to his music still and his album was decent and pretty listenable, I just don't think he's really worth all the praise that gets heaped upon him.

In terms of breakthrough I'd put Lianne La Havas, Jessie Ware & Ben Howard miles above him.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I think the follow up album will tell us whether he is or not. But I really like him, he can sing and he's a fine guitar player.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I've not heard of most of the names that have been mentioned, something I'll definitely need to check out!
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, definitely not, he is extremely overrated.
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woffy wrote: »
    I've not heard of most of the names that have been mentioned, something I'll definitely need to check out!

I`d add Michael Kiwanuka,but he like the others is mid-twenties. I think the discussion is probably about under-twenties,new talents. Laura Marling`s still pretty young (didn`t she come to prominence some years ago aged 16,17?) so she`s probably the closest example of a `Jake Bugg` Anybody would be hard pushed to think of a long list of really talented teenagers who are successful singer-songwriters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gav016 wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything especially original or different about Jake Bugg, really. I listen to his music still and his album was decent and pretty listenable, I just don't think he's really worth all the praise that gets heaped upon him.

In terms of breakthrough I'd put Lianne La Havas, Jessie Ware & Ben Howard miles above him.
    Jake Bugg has alot of potential but he's very young. I don't think he's miles behind those artists at all in terms of songwriting considering his age (Jessie and Lianne use co-writers as well). Too much attention/hype for young artists is not usually a good thing for their music though imo.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I think he's turned out a brilliant first album, as others have said the dreaded second album will be the acid test but personally i think he's a very special talent with an immense future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As already said, down to the second album really... he needs the follow up to really get people talking.

It was a good solid debut album though.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    I don't think he's miles behind those artists at all in terms of songwriting considering his age (Jessie and Lianne use co-writers as well).

Co-writing does not = bad song writing!! Often multiple inputs can result in a better and more polished song which is really needed considering how competitive the music market is now. I just looked it up and Jake Bugg co-wrote his album anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Co-writing does not = bad song writing!! Often multiple inputs can result in a better and more polished song which is really needed considering how competitive the music market is now. I just looked it up and Jake Bugg co-wrote his album anyway.
    I didn't say it did. I know Jake used co-writers, thay's why I said Jessie and Lianne did as well, in response to someone who said they were "miles above" him. In a discussion about songwriting ability it's obviously a factor.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say it did. I know Jake used co-writers, thay's why I said Jessie and Lianne did as well, in response to someone who said they were "miles above" him. In a discussion about songwriting ability it's obviously a factor.

But many people who co-write CAN write songs on their own, they just need the song polished for commercial release. Since Jake Bugg, Jessie Ware and Lianne La Havas all had the same amount of help from mostly just one co-writer I guess you can judge the song writing from there. It's likely that they all had minimal help.
  • Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's a good song-writer but I think his music is listenable and overrated.

If we're talking about worldwide then Lana Del Rey gets my vote for song writing.
    Forum Member
    I think he's a good song-writer but I think his music is listenable and overrated.

If we're talking about worldwide then Lana Del Rey gets my vote for song writing.

I'm not that familiar with Lana Del Rey besides the name, I'll Spotify her :)
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    Laura Marling is the best new British singer-songwriter in recent years. There's also so much more to come as she's nowhere near her peak yet imo.

I completely agree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    No way! unless he ups his game. Good but not that good as of yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    But many people who co-write CAN write songs on their own, they just need the song polished for commercial release. Since Jake Bugg, Jessie Ware and Lianne La Havas all had the same amount of help from mostly just one co-writer I guess you can judge the song writing from there. It's likely that they all had minimal help.
    I'm not getting into a tiresome discussion about co-writing. You or I have no idea how much input the co-writers had for each artist so it's all speculation anyway. That's why I made the point that you can't say one's ability is "miles above" the other. And that's the only point I've made. The pros and cons of co-writing is a whole other discussion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not that familiar with Lana Del Rey besides the name, I'll Spotify her :)

Her best songs - for me - are Born To Die, Video Games, Gods and Monsters, National Anthem, Carmen..heck I just love them all.
    Forum Member
    Her best songs - for me - are Born To Die, Video Games, Gods and Monsters, National Anthem, Carmen..heck I just love them all.

I checked one song out and enjoyed it so I've downloaded the album.

Now warming up for a night out with The Prodigy so checking it out is out of the question until tomorrow haha.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I checked one song out and enjoyed it so I've downloaded the album.

Now warming up for a night out with The Prodigy so checking it out is out of the question until tomorrow haha.

What album, Born to Die? or Born to Die: Paradise Edition? the latter is better as it has the same songs but more added on.

Enjoy yourself!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was trying to think up some competition but I can't come up with anyone, certainly not in Britain anyway.

What's your thoughts, is Jake the best this far or is there some other talent our there I'm overlooking?

James Blake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVgEaDemxjc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSvb_jGwQ7s

Not that I'm saying he'd want to be seen to be in direct competition.
    But for young male singers I'd say that he is possibly fresher and more original and could definitely be seen as a breakthrough song writer.

They're both good though. Not saying one is better than the other either. Although I think that James Blake is definitely a lot more different from the norm than Jake Bugg is.
    It's very refreshing that they're so very different from each other which is probably more important.
    Forum Member
    What album, Born to Die? or Born to Die: Paradise Edition? the latter is better as it has the same songs but more added on.

Enjoy yourself!

I was feeling lavish so went for the Paradise Edition, and thank you :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emeli Sande is.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. He's rubbish
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with this. Amazingly talented.