Ad Break During This Morning Yesterday

I was watching This Morning yesterday and a NHS advert for the Chlamydia Diease free pack appeared. My two sons as it is half term where I live was watching TV at the time, saw the advert and started asking the awkard questions about what the man and girl were during and how they got the diease.

Surely this shouldn't have been shown at 12 noon especially as the kids are off school. I have put a complain to the ASA and see what happens. I shouldn't have been explaining this to a six year old and an eight year old.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you don't feel education is important? The advert isn't bad at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth are you doing making a six and eight year old endure This Morning?!?!?!
  • Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offense OP but this is a ridiculous post :sleep:. There was no inappropriate content on that advert and it's there purely for educational and awareness purposes.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people complain about the littlest of things nowadays.
  • richardwdsrichardwds Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    What on earth are you doing making a six and eight year old endure This Morning?!?!?!

Exactly, someone call social services.
    CBBC, CBeebies and CITV are available for your children.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not be a parent and educate your children?
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Why not be a parent and educate your children?

It's up to the parent whether or not to educate them . This advert should not have been on at half term at that time. I feel sorry for the OP with you lot. As far as that goes, the pregnancy rate for schoolgirls does seem to have gone up coincidentally with the rise in sex education in schools.
  • Trix71Trix71 Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    micksea241 wrote: »
    I was watching This Morning yesterday and a NHS advert for the Chlamydia Diease free pack appeared. My two sons as it is half term where I live was watching TV at the time, saw the advert and started asking the awkard questions about what the man and girl were during and how they got the diease.

Surely this shouldn't have been shown at 12 noon especially as the kids are off school. I have put a complain to the ASA and see what happens. I shouldn't have been explaining this to a six year old and an eight year old.

Shouldn't??

I have... My 6 and 8 year old (girl and a boy) know exactly where and how babies are made.

So are you now telling me that I shouldn't have??
    My children could be telling your children something about "that subject"... and will you then complain to me??

Because they will see/hear plenty in their life. And its up to us as their parent to show them what it all means.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    It is up to the state when they get sex ed. Old old are your kids?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »

Is this addressed to me?
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trix71 wrote: »
    Shouldn't??

I have... My 6 and 8 year old (girl and a boy) know exactly where and how babies are made.

So are you now telling me that I shouldn't have??
    My children could be telling your children something about "that subject"... and will you then complain to me??

Because they will see/hear plenty in their life. And its up to us as their parent to show them what it all means.

So are you saying that it's right for your children to tell others? Because what happens is that children tell others their own version of things and they usually get it wrong. IMO they are too young at that age to understand it all properly, and children nowadays grow up quicker, and should enjoy childhood without it being complicated more by adult issues.
  • TrumpyBumsTrumpyBums Posts: 400
    Forum Member

This Morning is not a kids programme. Shouldn't they have been watching Ceebeebis instead?

Kids are not stupid. Don't be such a prude.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    It's not up to the state at all. You can teach your kids at any age and don't even have to let them go to the sex ed lessons provided at school (though anyone who refuses this is an absolute moron).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You sit your children in front of an adult programme then complain that it contains adult content?

It's half term - one week. Surely you could find something more child friendly to do with them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are you saying that it's right for your children to tell others? Because what happens is that children tell others their own version of things and they usually get it wrong. IMO they are too young at that age to understand it all properly, and children nowadays grow up quicker, and should enjoy childhood without it being complicated more by adult issues.

So what am I supposed to tell them when the neighbouring farmer lets in the ram with his ewes(right outside their bedroom)?? Or the stallion across the road?? Or our own cockerel doing his buisness with his girls.
    Is that still "adult"??
    No its life. Nothing complicated about it!

Its half-term here too... My kids aren't watching Jeremy Kyle... or This morning with me... Goats and chickens to look after.
    Or does that mean they aren't enjoying their childhood??

Like others have said TM is an adult oriented program.
    You can expect things to come up that they might question you about.

Nite all. :D
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    gottago wrote: »
    It's not up to the state at all. You can teach your kids at any age and don't even have to let them go to the sex ed lessons provided at school (though anyone who refuses this is an absolute moron).

Sure you can teach them before the school does. I was replying to the guy who was claiming the parents should decide when they are taught - the point being is that if you don't tell them the state will soon enough.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If more parents took the time to give their kids sex education at an early age then we would not have 13 year old boys claiming to be fathers liek we did last week!

Providing nothing graphic is shown, then I applaud This Morning and ITV for sex education adverts.
  • lazyjanelazyjane Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good thing they didn't have a segment about self-testing for testicular cancer. I enjoyed that last time it was on!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member

do you know barry scott?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=980250&highlight=cbeebies
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Surely educating children about sex and STDs is a good thing. If some of the youth of today had better education on the consequences of sex, there wouldn't have been such a rise in STDs, teenage pregnancy and underage sex
  • FangsterFangster Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    As far as that goes, the pregnancy rate for schoolgirls does seem to have gone up coincidentally with the rise in sex education in schools.

Ah yes coincidence, the basis for all rational debate!

So why is it the Netherlands had the lowest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe and the most progressive sex education?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I might be wrong because I haven't watched This Morning in about 15 years, but isn't STDs the kind of subject that might well be discussed on the show anyway? If so I can't see that an ad about the same subject during the break would be inappropriate.
  • Lamb ChopsLamb Chops Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    This Morning has featured graphic features about sex and the human body for years. I see nothing wrong with it, since it clearly does help some people who might be too frightened or embarrassed to go to the doctors or wouldn't know what to look for otherwise. Just because it's on in the daytime, it doesn't mean that This Morning has ever been intended for children. CBeebies and the many children's based Sky channels, on the other hand...
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Morning often features quite extensive content in terms of health, sex and relationship issues, etc.

Loose Women, which follows, could also be described as being quite explicit in its conversation at times!!

I understand it is half-term but these are essentially not children's programmes and have never been marketed as such, thus more 'adult' topics are to be expected at times.
  • mrbouffantmrbouffant Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Does anyone teach their kids about the need to "mirror-signal-manoeuvre" 5 or 6 years before they learn to drive?

I would have thought teaching kids about Sex Ed 5 or 6 years before they hit puberty is a bit daft. At least wait a while until nearer the time they need this information. What's the rush?