Recording issues - Panasonic TX-L19X10B

I have the above Television model along side a HUMAX box and in the last 2/3 it keeps deleting all the future recording schedule once it records one programme..

For example I taped a programme last night which worked but now all my recorded programmes for tonight and beyond (had series bulk recordings) have disappeared.

Noticed this morning the HUMAX box said "BBC news" on the front which is the last channel I'd watched last night.

Do other people have the same problem with this model?

Its a bit frustrating to say the least.

Should I try re-tuning the TV? (Its a Freeview one)

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused. What has the TV got to do with recording on the Humax, or indeed what channel is showing in the display of the Humax? If you mean the Humax is deleting all future recordings then nothing you do to the telly is going to alter that, as it's nothing to do with the TV.

I would go into the menus of the Humax and locate the Default Settings option (exact location may vary from model to model) and select that.

This will reset it back to out of the box condition so you'll have to retune and all scheduled recordings will be lost. But any recordings on the hard drive will be OK. But that might sort it out.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,279
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I'm confused. What has the TV got to do with recording on the Humax, or indeed what channel is showing in the display of the Humax? If you mean the Humax is deleting all future recordings then nothing you do to the telly is going to alter that, as it's nothing to do with the TV.

I would go into the menus of the Humax and locate the Default Settings option (exact location may vary from model to model) and select that.

This will reset it back to out of the box condition so you'll have to retune and all scheduled recordings will be lost. But any recordings on the hard drive will be OK. But that might sort it out.

Cheers for that.

Sorry for the confusion - I record through both the TV and HUMAX box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Cheers for that.

Sorry for the confusion - I record through both the TV and HUMAX box.
    I wonder if in that case the commands that the TV is sending back to the Humax are screwing up the Humax recording schedule? Can't really see why that should happen.

Are you using an HDMI or SCART cable from Humax to TV? The problem with all these remote control schemes is that every manufacturer seems to have their own flavour of the protocol. So if you have two devices from different manufacturers they sometimes don't talk exactly the same dialect of the language and so end up mistaking what the other is actually trying to get them to do.

I would be tempted to stop using the TV to send record commands to the Humax. Only use the Humax to set up recordings. That will probably avoid any screw ups in the Humax and TV talking to each other.

Sometimes the technology tries just a little bit too hard to be clever and just ends up doing something incredibly stupid instead. Sometimes the only solution is to hit it with a big stick and take control yourself. :D
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    Presumably chris you 'understood' his last confusing post better than I did? :D

You don't record 'through' things (apart from wires), you record 'ON' things or even 'FROM' things, in this case presumably the only option is recording ON the Humax directly from the aerial?.

Sounds perhaps like the HDD in his Humax is failing?.
    Forum Member

Probably right - somebody I know had that problem so had to get a new one!

I'll try the re-tuning though.

Thanks for the advice anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably chris you 'understood' his last confusing post better than I did? :D

You don't record 'through' things (apart from wires), you record 'ON' things or even 'FROM' things, in this case presumably the only option is recording ON the Humax directly from the aerial?.

I was thinking the TV was using Viera Link to talk to the Humax and tell it to kick off a recording. Though I am not entirely certain the Humax uses anything remotely resembling HDMI CEC or any signalling over SCART to allow remote control like that.

I do know that years ago I got a Sony Freeview STB and a Panasonic DVD recorder to talk to each other over SCART so that I could record digital telly off the Sony onto the Panasonic. But it was flakey at best.

Also I thought it was the recording schedule that was going not actual recordings on the hard drive. So not sure a failing drive would affect that. Though if the schedule was written to disk that would be an option.

Otherwise I think it's possibly just the way the TV and Humax are being used and just sticking to the Humax alone for recording might solve the problem.
    Forum Member
    I was thinking the TV was using Viera Link .

That is what I have..

Sorry I do use the HUMAX control to record but also have a TV control.

My fault for being so confusing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably right - somebody I know had that problem so had to get a new one!

I'll try the re-tuning though.

Thanks for the advice anyway.
    I wouldn't bother retuning anything. I think that is going to be a waste of time.

I suspect the actual solution is not to use the TV at all to kick off recordings but always use the Humax directly for recording.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is what I have..

Sorry I do use the HUMAX control to record but also have a TV control.

My fault for being so confusing.
    Posts crossing in the ether... :)

Turn Viera Link off and I bet the problem goes away. As I have posted above just set up the Humax directly and only the Humax when you want to record something.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    I was thinking the TV was using Viera Link to talk to the Humax and tell it to kick off a recording. Though I am not entirely certain the Humax uses anything remotely resembling HDMI CEC or any signalling over SCART to allow remote control like that.

Humax don't have anything like that (and I don't think CEC would/could do anything like that even if the Humax did, what would be the point?), it's just the confusing way the OP is describing what he's doing.