Worst remake?

Comments

• NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MizManiac wrote: »
    'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy'. Although 'remade' from a tv prog it is truly appalling compared to the 70's original.

Absolute rubbish, it wasn't appalling by any standard, it may not have been as lingering or methodical as the TV version, due to the fact that, you know, it wasn't a TV series, but it distilled it all down brilliantly with some of the best performances you'll see on a cinema screen this century.
  • bramley29bramley29 Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    I hated the remake of 3.10 to Yuma. It was way over the top - a spaghetti western approach with no subtlety and little tension. Glenn Ford and Van Heflin were superb actors. This effort just showed up flaws in Crowe's acting - no empathy, no sensitivity. I think he wasn't all that interested. But the main culprits were the writers who needed to have bullets flying about and blood every few minutes
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SHANK0055 wrote: »
    Agreed, one of the worst films I've ever seen and don't even get me started on the ending:mad:

Have there been any good remakes? I can't think of any, maybe Dawn of the Dead -that was ok:confused:
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Awful, awful film. Thinking about the ending still winds me up after all these years.

If you mean the ending where the astronaut returns to Earth only to find out the apes have taken over then it wasn't an original idea from Burton. It's actually taken from the ending of the book that all the Apes films were inspired by

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Planet
  • Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Spy Who Loved Me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently saw the remake of Children of the Corn.

Just.... plain.....terrible.

I would go as far to say one of the worst films I have ever seen
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Total Recall. Whilst the sets and visions of the future were very good in a Blade Runner, dystopian way, the film itself was rubbish. Kate Beckinsale...my god, she looks good but she is a dreadful actress. Totally devoid of any emotion or personality whatsoever. It's a good job her hubby makes films, because she wouldn't get anywhere near them otherwise.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wicker man (again!)
    Psycho
    Black xmas
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Poseidon' - the remake of 'The Poseidon Adventure'. They took a fun, character-driven disaster movie and turned it into a SFX show without a trace of personality or conflict between its paper thin characters. They were just there to die in various CGI-rendered mishaps.

'The Stepford Wives'. What on earth possessed them to take a tense, psychological thriller and turn it into a zany comedy? Not only was the idea itself flawed, but the makers changed the second half of the story (leaving the first half intact) due to negative pre-screening response, and so the whole plot made absolutely no sense in the final product!

'Bewitched'. There were so many things that made no sense in this movie that it's difficult to know where to start. It was billed as not being a remake, but based AROUND new fictional characters remaking the show, in a 'film within a film' scenario. So why the hell did the new character have relatives all exactly like Samantha Stevens (Aunt Clara, Uncle Arthur) - was it just coincidence that she then went on to remake a show about Sam and Darrin? Just a confused mess.

'The Women'. A biting, witty satire of the cattiness of upper class women in the late 30s reinvented as a warm-hearted chick-flick that was basically a children's version of Sex and the City. Absolutely dreadful.

'Psycho'. A shot for shot remake = a completely pointless remake. Oh, and the acting was much poorer than in the original.

'The Truth About Charlie'. A remake of the delightful madcap thriller starring the incomparable Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant - here replaced by the dull as dishwater Thandie Newton and Mark Wahlberg. All chemistry, intrigue, wit and suspense had been jettisoned.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    John Carpenter's The Thing is usually held up as a successful, superior remake and I agree.

It was more of a remix than a remake. Although I would say it felt a little more intune with the book "Who Goes There" than The Thing From Another Planet. But yes, JCs version is the best by far and I consider it perhaps one of the greatest films of all time.

I also love how it has no CGI in it whatsoever. I think it was the last major film to claim such a thing.

The recent version of "The Thing" was beyond crap though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »

The recent version of "The Thing" was beyond crap though.

it was f***** shit..Kurt Russell was the best version
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brief Encounter (1974) - Starring Richard Burton and Sophia Loren. So slow, it seems as if the film will grind to a halt and start going backwards.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    The Spy Who Loved Me

? What's this a remake of ?
  • Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The War of the Worlds
    The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Both classic movies of their day and remade as soul-less Hollywood blockbusters. Why? Just why?

And not exactly remakes, but I hate films made of old TV series - Starsky and Hutch, Miami Vice etc. I grew up with the original series and don't want to see anyone else playing the roles of Starsky, Hutch, Crocket and Tubbs etc. There have been rumours for years about a Magnum PI movie and I pray it never happens!
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Italian Job
    Planet of the Apes
  • TrekTheGalaxyTrekTheGalaxy Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Fright Night

I agree. The original Fright Night is one of my favourite movies. I went into the remake with an open mind and came out confused and annoyed. It was a completely different movie altogether. If it wasn't for the name of the film, the name of the characters and the odd line they used from the original, I wouldn't have known it was a remake at all. They ruined te characters and just sucked the fun out of it :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    'Poseidon' - the remake of 'The Poseidon Adventure'. They took a fun, character-driven disaster movie and turned it into a SFX show without a trace of personality or conflict between its paper thin characters. They were just there to die in various CGI-rendered mishaps.

'The Stepford Wives'. What on earth possessed them to take a tense, psychological thriller and turn it into a zany comedy? Not only was the idea itself flawed, but the makers changed the second half of the story (leaving the first half intact) due to negative pre-screening response, and so the whole plot made absolutely no sense in the final product!

'Bewitched'. There were so many things that made no sense in this movie that it's difficult to know where to start. It was billed as not being a remake, but based AROUND new fictional characters remaking the show, in a 'film within a film' scenario. So why the hell did the new character have relatives all exactly like Samantha Stevens (Aunt Clara, Uncle Arthur) - was it just coincidence that she then went on to remake a show about Sam and Darrin? Just a confused mess.

'The Women'. A biting, witty satire of the cattiness of upper class women in the late 30s reinvented as a warm-hearted chick-flick that was basically a children's version of Sex and the City. Absolutely dreadful.

'Psycho'. A shot for shot remake = a completely pointless remake. Oh, and the acting was much poorer than in the original.

'The Truth About Charlie'. A remake of the delightful madcap thriller starring the incomparable Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant - here replaced by the dull as dishwater Thandie Newton and Mark Wahlberg. All chemistry, intrigue, wit and suspense had been jettisoned.
    This!. Bought this for my dad for Xmas. We watched it and he is always polite about gifts but even he agreed it was a total sack of shit.:cool:
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    The Italian Job

Not a remake.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    oops! I meant to say i prefer his version to the new one :p

The new one isn't a remake - its a straight up prequel.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there was a terrible Rollerball remake .
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Robocop remake is bound to be a dud.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Lily_M wrote: »
    And not exactly remakes, but I hate films made of old TV series - Starsky and Hutch, Miami Vice etc. I grew up with the original series and don't want to see anyone else playing the roles of Starsky, Hutch, Crocket and Tubbs etc. There have been rumours for years about a Magnum PI movie and I pray it never happens!

Whilst I agree with your comment re TV series being made into films - I actually LOVED the film version of Starsky & Hutch - and yes I was a fan of the original series (I loved Starsky my best friend loved Hutch). I love the film versions of The Brady Bunch too (despite not being a fan of the TV series).

I'd have no objections about a film version of Magnum PI - I could never get over Tom Selleck's manly physique and even manlier moustache coupled with the girliest voice (in particular the laugh) I've ever heard.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Castaway. Just didn't work without naked Amanda Donohoe.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Not a remake.

Yes it is
  • Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I agree with your comment re TV series being made into films - I actually LOVED the film version of Starsky & Hutch - and yes I was a fan of the original series (I loved Starsky my best friend loved Hutch). I love the film versions of The Brady Bunch too (despite not being a fan of the TV series).

I'd have no objections about a film version of Magnum PI - I could never get over Tom Selleck's manly physique and even manlier moustache coupled with the girliest voice (in particular the laugh) I've ever heard.

How very dare you, I adore Tom Selleck :D. Actually, I remember him being interviewed on Wogan's TV show and saying that he'd seen himself on TV over here and that he sounded like a chipmunk - it was something to do with the way the way American video/film was transferred to the British system. Or so he said ;)

I've never actually seen the S&H and Miami Vice films, so I'm not saying they are bad films. I've just got a bit of a thing about seeing other actors, other than the originals, playing those roles. I'm the same with TV series made from films (Terminator:Sarah Connor Chronicles, Stargate SG1 etc). It's just a bit of a quirk I have!

I was a Hutch fan by the way and my best friend was a Starsky fan. We even both had Starsky cardigans :o
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated the original Arthur, (Arthur 2, I haven't seen but is supposed to be worse.)

So a remake of Arthur with Russel Brand, even though I haven't seen it will probably make me want to gouge my eyes out.