magic eye for Sky plus HD

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
I have a Sky plus HD system in my living room and multi room independant Sky in my bedroom. We also have a six way T.V. amp to take the signal from our main set to other rooms. This works well and if I turn off my second Sky receiver I can receive the signal from my Sky HD either live or recorded. However I would like to be able to control my Sky HD from my bedroom, mainly to watch recorded programmes. What do I need in order to do this? is it easy to set up? will my six way T.V. amp be a problem if so is there a piece of kit would would bypass this. Can anyone help.
Peter

Comments

• Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    Most UHF distribution amplifiers will prevent a Sky "Magic Eye" from working, as they will block the return signal and/or the power to the eye.
    Global do purpose built amplifiers which will work correctly, and are even powered by the Sky box. I use a four way one which works perfectly.
    If you're using more than four outputs from your amp you'll need to buy the eight output T180 model (they don't seem to do a six output one.)
    This will need external power, but should do the job.
    http://www.tvlink.co.uk/t-series-amplifiers.htm
    :)
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as you are only requiring to control the HD box from one remote location there should be no need to replace your distribution amp if it doesn't pass sky remote signals back to the box as there are two rf outputs on the hd box.

plug your existing distribution amp into the RF-1 socket on the HD box.

plug the cable to the bedroom into the RF-2 socket of the HD box (the one which enables the magic eye to work) so it doesn't go through the amp.

fit a 'magic eye' at the bedroom end and hey presto! (more or less).

be aware that the HD box will need either an HD or SKY+ remote in the bedroom, consequentley if the bedroom box is a SKY+ box, it's remote will operate the HD box through the 'magic eye', which may not be desirable but there is hardware available to get round this, happy to post if required.
    Forum Member
    Remember he'll have to extend the bedroom TV's UHF cable all the way to the Sky box if that's going to work. I assumed that at present it only went to the distribution amp, which could be nowhere near the lounge!
    Interesting what you say about the potential remotes problem. He doesn't say whether the bedroom Sky box is a Sky+ or not, but if it is, what is this "hardware solution" as a matter of interest?
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First check to see if your distribution amp is already 'magic eye. compatible!!

If not, you can buy a distribution amp bypass (e.g. amazon search "ILS105 MAGIC EYE BYPASS KIT re-routes around TV amp", £3.99+del - marketplace seller - no idea if this is a good one or not) . I assume that this removes the 9v that the sky magic eye link uses before the amp, and reapplies it the other side of the amp. You'd need to check that.

If so, then you could use the magic eye for one of your "other rooms" without replacing the distribution amp.

Skybox ->rx bypass->amp->rx bypass (bedroom output) -> bedroom TV

The advantage of replacing the amp with a magic eye compatible version is you can put a magic eye on ALL the extentions ("other rooms") if you wish.

Horses for courses I suppose!
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Remember he'll have to extend the bedroom TV's UHF cable all the way to the Sky box if that's going to work. I assumed that at present it only went to the distribution amp, which could be nowhere near the lounge!:)
    I assumed it was nearby, so you may have a point!
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Interesting what you say about the potential remotes problem. He doesn't say whether the bedroom Sky box is a Sky+ or not, but if it is, what is this "hardware solution" as a matter of interest?

http://www.letsautomate.com/12261.cfm

This device will enable both boxes to be individually controlled from the OP's bedroom (with separate remotes), without the need to switch one box off (or obscure the magic eye). I've had one for a few months, once it's set-up it works really well.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, it looks really good!