Catch up television research

maxi1995maxi1995 Posts: 77
Forum Member
Hi all, I have to do research for university surrounding catch up tv and would really appreciate it if you answer the following questions.
What is it you find useful about catch up tv?
A lot of my friends prefer BBC Iplayer over ITV Player and 40D. Do you agree with this? If so, what are your reasons?
Would you say there any disadvantages to catch up tv? If so, what are they?
Do you have any programmes you prefer to watch on catch up tv? If so, which ones?
Do you download programmes from BBC Iplayer, ITV Player etc?

Thanks all :)

Comments

• HildasMurielHildasMuriel Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    1) You don't have to plan what you want to watch in advance - you can go out for the night and not worry that you forgot to set the recording; you can catch up if you hear people talking about a programme and wish that you had started watching it; you just get the programme - not the last few minutes of the show before,as you sometimes do with recordings.

2) I agree - and it's not just because the BBC tend to have better programmes - the obvious advantage is NO ADVERTS.

3) The adverts that you can't FFWD through; if you don't have high speed broadband it can get glitchy; some programmes aren't shown for copyright reasons; you may miss out on 'watercooler gossip time' if you haven't yet watched the show; you may accidentally hear spoilers.

4) Anything shown on nights I am out, so usually weekend nights.

5) Yes - mostly from BBC iplayer but also from some SKY channels (ie Atlantic or Sky One)
  • ProKitzelProKitzel Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    The convenience of watching things when it suits me

I prefer BBC iPlayer to others but I don't mind 4OD and Demand 5. For years ITV's player was a complete disaster. When it came to ad breaks you were lucky to get put back in the right place. They seemed to have fixed it recently but it took them long enough.

They use a lot of bandwidth especially if 2 or 3 people are watching their own things at the same time.

I watch everything through catch up players. Mostly documentaries and some reality shows. I no longer use a TV at all and don't have to endure the shit they pump out these days.

I download some things from BBC iPlayer to watch later if I see it's about to expire soon. I hate the time limitations on them though.
  • Dan RDan R Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1) I find being able to watch my favourite shows whenever it suits me incredibly useful. I also find easy pausing and seeking useful, even though I can do that with live TV.

2) I disagree. BBC iPlayer only has programmes from up to a month, whereas other catch-up services (particularly 4oD and Demand 5 of course) have programmes from years ago. This allows me to use them as almost Netflix-style services where I can find so many new shows to watch.

3) A disadvantage is that some shows designed to be watched live might not have the same impact on catch up where results are already all over the internet. Also, glitches on catch up TV apps are VERY common, I find.

4) Documentaries, comedies, and dramas I watch almost entirely on catch-up. The only shows I don't watch on catch-up and prefer live are BGT and The Apprentice.

5) No.

Good luck with your research :)
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. I only find catch up TV useful for anything which if I can't watch live I forgot to record. Or, occasionally if I hear/read about something I subsequently decide I want to watch that I didn't know about beforehand. I prefer to record my programmes as opposed to using catch up services because I can fast forward bits I don't want to see, (ad's, etc) far quicker than you can on the catch up services.

2. No real preference either way but I do find BBC iplayer tiresome for, again, rapid fast forwarding purposes. Then again this also irritates me about ITV player, 4OD etc also. (I obviously have some sort of impatience trait!).

3. Nothing that concerns me in this respect but my being a very 'light' user may have a bearing on that.

4. None. As above, I only use the service though to watch if I'm out and didn't set it to record whatever I want to see.

5. Never.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Nothing. I rarely need to use it. It's a "last resort" option.

A lot of my friends prefer BBC Iplayer over ITV Player and 40D. Do you agree with this? If so, what are your reasons?
    Yes. Mainly because of the lack of pre-roll (and possibly post-roll) adverts. I was testing out Demand5 earlier today and there was 90 seconds of un-skippable ads before the show started. Ridiculous!

The main one for me is that the FF/REW isn't very good; it's 1m either way on the iPlayer for example.

Do you have any programmes you prefer to watch on catch up tv? If so, which ones?

No and no. I record everything I want to watch on my Tivo.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a shift worker I use it to catch up with tv I can't watch because im at work

I agree because iPlayer is compatible with Googlecast the rest are not.

Disadvantage maybe that not all carry subtitles

As I work nightshift I catch up with most dramas on catch up when I am off. I dont download
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It means I don't need to worry if I have 3 programmes on at the same time that I want to watch. I can series record 2 using Sky Plus and watch the 3rd on catch up. I find catch up really useful and watch it all the time. If I want to while away some time in front of the telly and there is nothing on I can usually find an old Miss Marple or similar on catchup.

I prefer BBC Iplayer because you get more shows in HD. on ITV player a lot is only on catchup is SD, even if they were shown originally in HD. Also - I have more shows I like on BBC than the others.

Some shows aren't shown due to copyright. Sometimes they are only available in SD. When broadband is on go slow they keep buffering.

I watch Broadchurch and Midsomer murders and other ITV shows on catch up as a preference as they are in HD and have all the adverts stripped out (I use catch up TV via Sky Plus - not sure if adverts are stripped out in the ITVPlayer app).
  • emptyempty Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    1) it's perfect for those occassions when 2 or more things I want to watch are on at the same time. I record up to 2 programmes on my HDD & download any remaining programmes via catch-up
    2) It saves having to find repeats, that might not be in HD, at times when I'm not then recording other programmes
    3) If downloaded via the Sky box, adverts are removed
    4) I can download onto my mobile & watch whilst out and about with time to kill
    5) I don't have to watch live tv anymore & miss moments due to phone calls, texts, emails, visitors, demanding pets and/or relatives or toilet or cigarette breaks

I prefer that you can download from the BBC iPlayer for times when you are offline, and really despise the 5 on demand service, due to the compulsory adverts before, during and after the show you are trying to watch.
    4OD is good for creating a wishlist or reviewing old series that you may have missed.
    I don't think I have tried using the itv player via their website for many years.
    However, I use the catch-up service via my Sky box, rather than the websites or apps, more often than not.

Not all shows are available, and sometimes shows are slow to become available after they have aired.
    Having an expiry date for either downloading the programme, or then be deleted within a certain time once you have downloaded the programme irritates me.
    The likelyhood of having the plot revealed to you before you have watched the programme is vastly increased when you watch via catch-up.

Mainly ones on channels with adverts, so that I can watch ad-free, or as close to ad-free as possible.

I do download from the BBC iPlayer when my "to watch" list on my HDD box becomes very long, or just before I travel.

Hope this helps.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    >What is it you find useful about catch up tv?

The ability to watch when I'm not near a 'proper' TV signal- there isn't much signal in my room and I can listen to shows where I won't get much out of the pictures when I'm at work.

Bigger picture, it's also 'legitimised' online video content, which has improved choice.

>A lot of my friends prefer BBC Iplayer over ITV Player and 40D. Do you agree with this? If so, what are your reasons?

Yes, Not necessarily for the no ads thing (I see them as a necessary evil), but I do find it to be technically more robust, which may be something to do with the lack of ads- whenever 4oD's crashed on me, it's been related to adverts..

>Would you say there any disadvantages to catch up tv? If so, what are they?

You lose out on viewer participation elements, if that's your thing, and it's often easy to fall into a trap of thinking "Oh, it's on catch-up, I'll watch it later" and then you never do.

>Do you have any programmes you prefer to watch on catch up tv? If so, which ones?

Not in particular.

>Do you download programmes from BBC Iplayer, ITV Player etc?

No.
  • maxi1995maxi1995 Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replying :)
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stupid question I know, but - how do you get Catch Up? I've got Sky, but it hasn't got catch up.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can watch programmes at any time you like and have the ability to pause and rewind if you get interrupted and miss anything or want to come back to it later.

I prefer that BBC iPlayer doesn't have adverts, you don't have to remember log-in details and I've experienced far fewer technical problems with iPlayer than with ITV Player and 4OD.

The quality of the video can be affected by the reliability of the internet connection. For example, if the connection falters then you might see the screen freeze, the video buffer or the image and audio go out of sync.

None in particular.

No, it's fine streaming them on my PC.