Karen Carpenter

Comments

• fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was an interesting article about Karen's anorexia and about the film they made - I don't know if it's true and I haven't read the book, but thought I'd share:

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-real-reason-karen-carpenter-was-driven-to-anorexia-2440030.html

Thanks for that. It makes very intersesting reading,I wonder if this is what the OP was referring to? Poor girl what a very sad end for a very talented young lady.
  • Nollaig79Nollaig79 Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crunchie wrote: »
    I asked for a PM and never got one :cry:

me neither :( would love to know, if its not too much trouble. Thank you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crunchie wrote: »
    I asked for a PM and never got one :cry:

Nor me.

I'm thinking now the poster was being cryptic on purpose to get a bit of attention and either doesn't know shit or was showing off a bit and then got annoyed at the amount of people wanting PMs.
  • lcbagwashlcbagwash Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Nor me.

I'm thinking now the poster was being cryptic on purpose to get a bit of attention and either doesn't know shit or was showing off a bit and then got annoyed at the amount of people wanting PMs.

Wanting attention??? Surely not :eek::eek::D
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Read rest of thread rather then just replying to a reply
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem was that in those days, Anorexia was thought of nothing more than slimmers disease.
    IMO Karens main problem was lack of control in her life so the lack of eating was one part of her life that she could control.
    Nothing to do with being thin, that was just an obvious side effect.

Things aren't too different now TBH when it comes to men.
    My brother is 33. Seven years ago he had a wife, gorgeous daughter, lovely home etc.
    His wife decided she wanted to become a police officer.
    They discussed it and it was decided that my brother would give up work to be a full time house husband.
    He began to change slightly, but because it was 'silly' things, like not wanting to go to his MIL house, we didn't think anything of it at the time.
    Fast forward to now, he is back living with our Mam & Dad.
    His wife & daughter have left, sold the house and moved away.
    We just couldn't get him any help at all (and believe me, we tried).
    No-one could believe that this lovely guy was suffering from anorexia.
    Xmas Eve 2008, my mum phoned me to come and see him ASAP. She thought he was dying.
    He couldn't speak, stand or walk.
    He is slowly getting better now though, but I always worry about the stress he has put onto his heart.

Sorry for rambling, that's the first time I've really put it all into words.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is anyone surprised they didn't get a PM?! He/she was blatently a b@llsh!tt£r!
  • CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I did and it wasn't the first time I'd heard this about her. Have a look 11 posts back...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had a PM from that poster, even though I didn't ask for one. And I think it's absolute tosh, quite frankly. I'm a huge fan and have NEVER heard this about her.
  • CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molybecks wrote: »
    Was the show ''The Karen Carpenter Story''? I've always wanted to see that.

It's on True Movies very soon:

FILM: The Karen Carpenter Story
    On: True Movies (321)
    Date: Thursday 9th June 2011 (starting in 8 days)
    Time: 09:00 to 11:00 (2 hours long)
    Biopic about Karen Carpenter, the singer who died tragically aged only 32. The film charts her rise to fame with her brother Richard, early recording deals, her roller-coaster lovelife and the downward spiral into anorexia and bulimia which would ultimately cause her death.
    (Made For TV, 1988, U, 3 Star)

Directors: Richard Carpenter, Joseph Sargent
    Starring: Cynthia Gibb, Stephanie Denise Griffin, Mitchell Anderson, Robert Broyles, Scott Burkholder, Henry Crowell Jr.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=25307

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    CRM wrote: »
    Well I did and it wasn't the first time I'd heard this about her. Have a look 11 posts back...

Do you mean this post....by myself....If so...I must add that my comment was nothing more than an educated guess.....But given Karen's known eating disorders and possible contacts within the Industry who could readily supply the drug....It does`t surprise me at all that cocaine or possibly amphetamines played some part in her death

Once again this post was pure speculation on my part.....I have no idea if it is actually true.

I think Bellagio made their initial comment before others alluded to the misuse of ipecac....I can think of a few other drugs that would suppress your appetite...and they are the obvious contenders....Bolivian marching powder being one...I hasten to add that I have no idea if this is the case....and if I`am honest I don`t really care......as it does`t matter anymore.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    The problem was that in those days, Anorexia was thought of nothing more than slimmers disease.
    IMO Karens main problem was lack of control in her life so the lack of eating was one part of her life that she could control.
    Nothing to do with being thin, that was just an obvious side effect.

Things aren't too different now TBH when it comes to men.
    My brother is 33. Seven years ago he had a wife, gorgeous daughter, lovely home etc.
    His wife decided she wanted to become a police officer.
    They discussed it and it was decided that my brother would give up work to be a full time house husband.
    He began to change slightly, but because it was 'silly' things, like not wanting to go to his MIL house, we didn't think anything of it at the time.
    Fast forward to now, he is back living with our Mam & Dad.
    His wife & daughter have left, sold the house and moved away.
    We just couldn't get him any help at all (and believe me, we tried).
    No-one could believe that this lovely guy was suffering from anorexia.
    Xmas Eve 2008, my mum phoned me to come and see him ASAP. She thought he was dying.
    He couldn't speak, stand or walk.
    He is slowly getting better now though, but I always worry about the stress he has put onto his heart.

Sorry for rambling, that's the first time I've really put it all into words.

That's so very sad MrMarple, I hope he recovers and is now getting all the help he needs. I guess it is seen as a young girl's disorder and your concerns weren't taken as seriously as they should have been.
  • the albionthe albion Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems a shame to be going through all of this after so many years. Can't we just remember Karen for her amazing voice.

My favourite of hers is a song that few people will know 'Strength of a Woman'. I advise people to have a listen if they can find it.
  • CasdorCasdor Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Karen was incredibly unique. I would say, more of the Hollywood stars, singers and models are anorexic or bullimic than you know. It is done in other ways these days, still dangerous.
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Karen Carpenter story is being shown on the Sony movie channel at the moment, next repeat Monday 3.30 PM
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Saw the film long time back. I can't watch it again.

When i'm flipping through the music channels and a Carpenters song is playing I just have to stop flipping and listen to it as if it would be rude to her memory for not doing so (how sad is that?)

Anyway, I to wish this thread could be one that salutes and remebers her voice and her life.

THE most beautiul voice I have ever heard
  • Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I23 wrote: »

Anyway, I to wish this thread could be one that salutes and remebers her voice and her life.

THE most beautiul voice I have ever heard

She did indeed have the most beautiful voice. So tragic her life was cut short as she was still only young. There will never be another Karen Carpenter. She was a one off.
  • Scarlett O HaraScarlett O Hara Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I love the Carpenters.

I've never seen the Karen Carpenter Story and almost don't want to. Just knowing how she ended up is sad enough. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the Carpenters.

I've never seen the Karen Carpenter Story and almost don't want to. Just knowing how she ended up is sad enough. :(

It is a pretty good film in my opinion - never been officially released on DVD, you hear the REAL Carpenter's music, with cynthia Gibb playing Karen.
    Yes it is sad, but give it a try - good luck!
    & Black Velvet, yes the most pure femail singing voice I've ever heard - I just wish I had heard her live.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    cyril-furr wrote: »
    It is a pretty good film in my opinion - never been officially released on DVD, you hear the REAL Carpenter's music, with cynthia Gibb playing Karen.
    Yes it is sad, but give it a try - good luck!
    & Black Velvet, yes the most pure femail singing voice I've ever heard - I just wish I had heard her live.

I watched that film years ago. A lot of it has stuck in mind.
    Particularly the bit where she read in a music paper that she was described as chubby when she wasn't - and that was what started her off wanting to lose weight.

Her mother was a horrible, cold woman.

Karen had an absolutely beautiful voice with a wide range.

I love so many songs she sang.
    'For all we know' is the one that instantly jumps to mind that shows her range. Just gorgeous
    'Because we are in Love' is poignant cos I believe that was about her wedding. That's gorgeous as wel, but so many songs are cos her voice was.

She had the kind of voice, had she lived, it would probably be just as good now.
    Incredible that it's 30 years since she died.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often had a friendly difference of opinion with my late mother as to who was the better singer: Deanna Durbin or Karen Carpenter:)
    Mum said that had Deanna had the benefit of more modern technology (than the 1940s quality), she would have sounded even better than Karen.

The only song they both sung, was Ava Maria.

What do you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I watched that film years ago. A lot of it has stuck in mind.
    Particularly the bit where she read in a music paper that she was described as chubby when she wasn't - and that was what started her off wanting to lose weight.

Her mother was a horrible, cold woman.

Karen had an absolutely beautiful voice with a wide range.

I love so many songs she sang.
    'For all we know' is the one that instantly jumps to mind that shows her range. Just gorgeous
    'Because we are in Love' is poignant cos I believe that was about her wedding. That's gorgeous as wel, but so many songs are cos her voice was.

She had the kind of voice, had she lived, it would probably be just as good now.
    Incredible that it's 30 years since she died.

In the film. We have no idea what she was really like in real life.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    In the film. We have no idea what she was really like in real life.

She had a very troubled relationship with her mother as can be seen in Little Girl Blue by Randy Schmidt.
    But there was a tragic discrepancy between her public and private selves. Offstage, away from the spotlight, she felt desperately unloved by her mother, Agnes, who favoured Richard, and struggled with low self-esteem, eventually developing anorexia nervosa from which she never recovered. She died at the age of 32.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/oct/24/karen-carpenter-anorexia-book-extract
    Now a new book by Randy Schmidt reveals the emotional problems at the core of Karen’s eating disorder, her relationship with her mother and Agnes’s inability to show the love and affection that Karen so desperately craved. Karen was adored by millions, her circle of friends loved her dearly but it was her mother’s love she never received.
    Schmidt spoke to hundreds of friends and colleagues when writing Little Girl Blue and the picture that emerges of the Carpenter family is one of a controlling matriarch concerned with outward appearances.
    Agnes is portrayed as stressed and uptight and was known among Karen and Richard’s musical acquaintances as the dragon lady. At Karen’s worst, her family insisted she had no emotional problems and that her ‘overdieting’ was something they could sort out by themselves.

http://morethancoping.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/the-real-reason-karen-carpenter-was-driven-to-anorexia/

Just from reading those short pieces it sounds as though her mother was a real piece of work, favouring Richard over Karen and witholding love from her.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    cooperone wrote: »
    I never knew she dated Alan from the Osmonds wonder why that was never in the film because that was approved by Richard?

Really? The Osmonds are mormons (Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints!) and to my knowledge never dated anyone outside their faith.. I remember there was a big stink when one of the Bee Gee brothers rather fancied Marie Osmond ( I think it was the younger one who died of a heart attack suddnely) and the family were frantic. They have all married Mormons.

I adored the Carpenters and was very sad when Karen died. It was shocking. I think, if I remember correctly, that in the movie it was sort of hinted that her Mum was very critical and demanding but who really knows what the cause was. She had a short marriage which failed which I am sure did not help. Karen may have had it all, from the outside looking in, but there was something terribly sad and lonely about her!
  • allhitradioallhitradio Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Really? The Osmonds are mormons (Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints!) and to my knowledge never dated anyone outside their faith.. I remember there was a big stink when one of the Bee Gee brothers rather fancied Marie Osmond ( I think it was the younger one who died of a heart attack suddnely) and the family were frantic. They have all married Mormons.

I adored the Carpenters and was very sad when Karen died. It was shocking. I think, if I remember correctly, that in the movie it was sort of hinted that her Mum was very critical and demanding but who really knows what the cause was. She had a short marriage which failed which I am sure did not help. Karen may have had it all, from the outside looking in, but there was something terribly sad and lonely about her!

She definitely did date Alan Osmond for a short time. He was interviewed in one of the many documentaries made about her life. Plus I have seen some home movie footage of the two of them at her parents house.

I met her a few times and she always had a sort of wise cracking, jokey, public face and a much darker and depressive private one. She seemed to be constantly worrying about things being perfect. Apparently, she got that from her Mother who also had issues - borderline OCD and a total control freak.

The Little Girl Blue book is pretty good, although a little one sided and I'm sure she wouldn't have been happy to see her Mother and Brother 'demonised' in quite the way they are in the book.

The Karen Carpenter Story TV movie is OK for what it is. It skips over/omits a lot of events and sanitises others, as it was heavily controlled by her family. They demanded many rewrites of the script. On the other hand, they allowed scene to be filmed at the family home and even had the lead actress Cynthia Gibb, wearing Karen's own clothes and even her makeup! So in some senses it has a great deal of authenticity. Worth a look if you haven't seen it.