The Walking Dead S3 (US Pace)

Comments

• GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, really enjoyed it, really carried on from the end of last season. Nice to see a couple of strong fighting female characters, Maggie was quite hot when killing Zombies, yeah I went there.

I've read the comics up to this point, and TBH I hope they keep away from more of the soapy bits in the Books, but then they haven't really got the characters for it now, thankfully.

I never felt I've watched the show now until after I've seen Talking Dead, it's an excellent geeky addendum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts:

Great opening episode.
    I like Hershal, but Jeez did they have to cut off his leg and have him be a burden to their survival so early?

Maggie really feels like part of the group, but her sister does not fit in.

Carol has really emerged as a strong character since Sophia's death. She had some great moments with Daryl. Season 2 Carol would have never made a quip to him about wanting to screw around. She's funny and what is even more importat, Daryl responds to her.

I am so over Lori and Carl. I would keep Carl over Lori but she took screentime away from the far superior Andrea.
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lori was bearable this episode, which made a change. I'd still quite like to see her spawning a zombie baby.

Gutted to lose Hershal so early, though. I agree that it seems a bit silly to take him along with them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant episode. It's shattered records in the U.S as well, so I imagine a season 4 announcement will be imminent!! :D:D

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/10/15/walking-dead-season-3-premiere-ratings/

For those who don't get the whole US ratings thing, let's just say it's pretty much unheard of for basic cable to do what TWD has done this week!
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was outstanding, didn't let up for a second. From them expertly clearing that house, Michonne whipping those heads off in a heartbeat and Maggie excelling herself killing the guard. Even the touch when someone was pouring the goo out of the glove...

My only worry is that they've blown the budget on that first episode!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dharma572 wrote: »
    Brilliant episode. It's shattered records in the U.S as well, so I imagine a season 4 announcement will be imminent!! :D:D

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/10/15/walking-dead-season-3-premiere-ratings/

For those who don't get the whole US ratings thing, let's just say it's pretty much unheard of for basic cable to do what TWD has done this week!
    After last season’s fan complaint of too much farm chatting and not enough zombie killing, the third season premiere’s orgy of kill-shots surely satisfied fan blood lust (though left me wanting an Xbox controller in my hands).

LOL that bit is true, especially about wanting a games controller in my hands.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I think Hershal's other daughter has been brought in to replace Sophia's storylines with Carl.

Loved the opening episode, good to see so many nods to the comic
  • excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    You're better off reporting it to get it closed or merged. The mods are reactive, not proactive.

By the look of things its been merged :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s135/the-walking-dead/recaps/a430741/the-walking-dead-season-three-premiere-seed-recap.html
    In the top picture, they look like the bloody avengers
    Maggie-Black Widow
    Glenn-Iron Man
    Rick-Captain America
    T-Dog-Hulk
    Daryl-Hawkeye
    Anyway, Loved it.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    So glad this is back....What a great opener people!

Completely loved the season 3 opener...it went by so quick!

brilliant idea to have some time elapse between the end of season 2 and the start of season 3. Our gang have been surviving the winter wandering aimlessly, going from house to house and escaping the walkers all the time. They now look exhausted and in need of more permanent shelter, but at the same time their zombie fighting skills have become more proficient and characters have also evolved greatly! What a kill fest the opener was!

Finally we get to the prison - what will no doubt be a brilliant setting for the new season. Michonne has also been introduced and is big time bad ass - brilliant to introduce her as a separate story - when she teams up with the gang she will have already established herself as a mega fighter!

Carl is now all grown up of sorts! No doubt all those months surviving have granted him gun rights and he has gone from an annoying little brat to a proactive member of the team. Lori was not half as annoying as she has been for the last two seasons.

Season 3 is now darabont-less and it will be interesting to see what direction / style this takes. Already it seems that they have listened to fan complaints we all had last year about season 2 being slower and dull at times whilst they were at the farm. As a treat they gave us a massive zombie kill fest, loads of action, tension and absolutely none of the duller stuff. We will have "duller" moments no doubt, and these are just as important in the developing of the story itself, but hopefully they will have perfected their Dull moment delivery skills and be able to dose appropriately.

Can't wait for the rest of the season. We still have so much ahead of us - the Andrea / Michonne reunion with th rest of the gang, the Governor and of course, the continuation of this opener's cliffhanger - there are other survivors inside the prison! No doubt the cast is about to enlarge itself even more - I always thought that the difficulty in the TV adaptation was balancing such a large cast of characetrs - I really wonder hwo they will do this now that the cast is set to become larger than ever!

For info, AMC are scheduling 8 consecutive episodes between now and December this being the "first part of season 3".
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Just watched the 1st episode, loved the opening scene where nobody spoke for the first 5 minutes, the new credit sequence was good, about time they updated it, okay thought the first 15 minutes was brilliant, loved the part where the group broke into the prison and started picking off the zombies one by one, was'nt to keen on all the Lori baby "maybe a zombie" deal plus the part where the group comb the prison, but holy s&@t the ending was outstanding............ next sunday cannot come soon enough.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    Great episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    The pre opening credits bit with no talking made me think there was somthing wrong with my sound system ended up do a full system check plus without realising it had turned volume up really loud which meant when they actually spoke it made me jump out of my skin and rush for volume button.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    They now look exhausted and in need of more permanent shelter, but at the same time their zombie fighting skills have become more proficient and characters have also evolved greatly! What a kill fest the opener was!

While they've become better at dispatching the zombies they're also still extremely careless. They blithely walk past bodies that might well be zombies when, as they've already shown, it takes just a fraction of a second for them to spear it through the head.

Rick poking that dead guard in the chest, why bother? A quick jab through the brain and he wouldn't have to check whether it's a zombie or not. Brain impalings should be an unconscious action at this point.

Hershel's lost leg is a direct result of this carelessness. I actually sighed when he went to step over the body since i knew exactly what was going to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    the non-spoken pre-credit sequence was really powerful - no sppech but yet it told as so much about the group. it did a great job of highlighting all the changes that had taken place and how much the group had evolved.

It does seem that the "silent sequence" could have been a wink at fans who complained of too much farm-talk last year lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    Hershel's lost leg is a direct result of this carelessness. I actually sighed when he went to step over the body since i knew exactly what was going to happen.

Yeah, that was a, "oh god we all know whats going to happen now" moment.
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I hope Lori is killed off this season (wishful thinking).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I hope Lori is killed off this season (wishful thinking).

You and me both. (And possibly 84% of the WD fan community)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    You and me both. (And possibly 84% of the WD fan community)

The show would hardly have any viewers if you kill off 84% of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont plan on killing 84% of viewers, I said 84% of viewers would probably like to see Lori killed off.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    I wonder if tptb have taken the Lori dislike on board and made her a little more likeable this season?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2FS wrote: »
    I wonder if tptb have taken the Lori dislike on board and made her a little more likeable this season?

I think they will keep up with her comic book storyline personally.
    The governer will kill her & the baby
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a fantastic episode.

I hope Hershall will survive the leg amputation. Suprised they included it though as in the comics it was Dales character who gets bitten. It was stupid that he stepped over the zombie though as mentioned above. Should be second nature to stab everything in the brain now.

Avoid this if you havn't seen the episode 2 promo.
    It shows a grave in the promo, I think they expect everyone to think its Hershall but i'm expecting it to be someone else.

The survivors in the prison were almost missed due to the brilliant gore nature of Herhsalls injury - However was there more than 4 survivors there?

Loved the fully armoured up zombies. But it was stupid. They stood around like idiots when the zombies outside came at them, Why not back up & lock the fence again and wait for them to come up against the fence so they could safely dispose of them through the fence?

I think the Michonne & Andrea part should have been left out of this episode. It felt like a distraction. It could have easily waited till episode 2.

I liked the jump in time from season 2 to 3 but gutted we missed the winter scenes out. They mentioned running around non-stop since we left them. In the comics most the zombies freeze over winter.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Dont plan on killing 84% of viewers, I said 84% of viewers would probably like to see Lori killed off.

Haha, they were joking.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Hershal's other daughter has been brought in to replace Sophia's storylines with Carl.
    I hope not, their ages seem quite far apart so it would seem a little creepy.