Russ Williams 20 years at Golden Square

THE HEADLESS DJTHE HEADLESS DJ Posts: 289
Forum Member
No mention on here of the ever excellent Russ Williams and his 20 year stint at One Golden Square, a selection of shows and highlights are being programmed to mark his long standing efforts there.

Comments

• AL89AL89 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of the finest I remember when he was doing weekend breakfast at Capital.
    surely its time he was on Radio 2 taking over when The Bruce retires, (not sure what the ginger one would have to say about it)
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,665
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »
    surely its time he was on Radio 2 taking over when The Bruce retires, (not sure what the ginger one would have to say about it)

He did the afternoon show at Capital too from 84 to 87 in the 3-5pm slot.

A very good solid jock, one reason why Radio 2 would side line him.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »

All the profiles I've read of Russ say he joined Capital in 1990 including this Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Williams_(DJ)
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I remember Russ and Jono gloating on air in 1996 over Johnnie Walker demo-ing (and being rejected) for a slot on Virgin. A couple of years later, and he got drive on R2 :D
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    All the profiles I've read of Russ say he joined Capital in 1990 including this Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Williams_(DJ)

He was on Metro for a time in the eighties. Around 87-89.
  • RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    He was on Metro for a time in the eighties. Around 87-89.

And before Metro he was on Southern Sound Radio in Portslade. I believe that was his first regular gig after Hospital Radio where he presented Weekend Breakfast followed by the mid morning show during the week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Love that man, well done Russ!
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,823
    Forum Member

Wasn't John Sachs in that slot then? :confused:

But yes, a good pro
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,313
    Forum Member

Why would Evans have an issue with that? He sacked Jono but Evans was obviously a fan of Russ as kept him on a daytime slot throughout the period he was in charge.

Unlike Radio 1 DJs who get kicked off for being to old so need to move to Radio 2, Absolute does not appear to have an issue with presenters ages so could see him staying there for the rest of his career. He already has a morning show on a national station, which I'm sure pays well, why would he want to move to Radio 2?
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't see it. Russ is great at what he does, but that isn't what Radio 2 does.

If I were in charge, when Ken Bruce retires, I'd put Simon Mayo back on mid-mornings and give Chris Moyles drive. That would be one helluva line-up.

If were were Russ, I'd stay exactly where I am.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Russ and Jono gloating on air in 1996 over Johnnie Walker demo-ing (and being rejected) for a slot on Virgin. A couple of years later, and he got drive on R2 :D

When they were next to each other on Radio 5 at the time Virgin was launching, both Danny Baker and Johnnie Walker said they had been approached by Virgin and turned them down. Baker said he turned them down because they said he couldn't play When A Man Loves A Woman by Percy Sledge but he could play When A Man Loves A Women by Michael Bolton.

When Ally Ross had a daily column in The Sun, I remember him talking about how Williams would always say "Thanks for a great breakfast show, Chris" and lavish him with praise. I also remember Ross pointing out how frequently Williams played It Ain't Over Til It's Over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I enjoy listening to Russ. And he's clearly a professional: not many would adapt to and weather significant changes at a station like he has over the years. Big respect! Looking forward to the history stuff on Sunday night. I never heard Russ and Jono together though so hopefully they'll recap some of that!
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,313
    Forum Member
    PhilH wrote: »
    I can't see it. Russ is great at what he does, but that isn't what Radio 2 does.

If I were in charge, when Ken Bruce retires, I'd put Simon Mayo back on mid-mornings and give Chris Moyles drive. That would be one helluva line-up.

If were were Russ, I'd stay exactly where I am.

I'd love to hear that lineup, Mayo could bring back dead or alive.
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Russ n Jono Breakfast Experience was for me either the best or second best brekkie show there has been. Simon Mayo on Radio 1 breakfast may be up there.
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R300 wrote: »
    The Russ n Jono Breakfast Experience was for me either the best or second best brekkie show there has been. Simon Mayo on Radio 1 breakfast may be up there.

Agreed.
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R300 wrote: »

I never heard him at Capital, but I agree, Russ n Jono's Breakfast show for Virgin was fantastic radio.
    Forum Member
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Wasn't John Sachs in that slot then? :confused:

But yes, a good pro

It was, I am getting John & Russ mixed up, similar voices though:o
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One Chris Evans has no say in who is hired at Radio 2 and I think Russ would have made the switch years ago - I'm sure the chases kept asking, but he seems happy at Absolute.
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    One Chris Evans has no say in who is hired at Radio 2 and I think Russ would have made the switch years ago - I'm sure the chases kept asking, but he seems happy at Absolute.

Also Russ was one of the few presenters Chris kept on when he took over Virgin so I think he rates Russ as a presenter.
  • THE HEADLESS DJTHE HEADLESS DJ Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Don't forgot The Mighty Ginger One engineered his move to the mid-morning slot where he's been ever since, good job
  • Simon AverySimon Avery Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    One of the original southern Sound presenters from 30 years ago. Great voice.
  • Costa StarbucksCosta Starbucks Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I was just wondering what memories others had of Russ Williams' time at Virgin/Absolute.

My main tow are firstly when he was on breakfast with Jono and I think they must of been promoting FM in London as they were broadcasting from an open top bus travelling around the capital and stopping outside Radio One where Jono was shouting through a megaphone to Chris Evans who was at this point doing breaskfast on Radio One "come to the window you ginger tosser". I think this may of sealed his fate at Virgin in the future.

The other being Russ when he must have just taken over mornings and talking with Chris on the breakfast show and always starting "morning ladies". I wonder if this was when he was single after his divorce?
  • Costa StarbucksCosta Starbucks Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I was just wondering what memories others had of Russ Williams' time at Virgin/Absolute.

My main two are firstly when he was on breakfast with Jono and I think they must of been promoting FM in London as they were broadcasting from an open top bus travelling around the capital and stopping outside Radio One where Jono was shouting through a megaphone to Chris Evans who was at this point doing breaskfast on Radio One "come to the window you ginger tosser". I think this may of sealed his fate at Virgin in the future.

The other being Russ when he must have just taken over mornings and talking with Chris on the breakfast show and always starting "morning ladies". I wonder if this was when he was single after his divorce?
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    I heard his Radio Today interview. He's down to earth and has no ego....rare in Radio and makes a change.

He has a good track record in sports broadcasting as well as music Radio. He sounds like he's always up for a challenge.

Fantastic role model for future broadcasters!
  • d2macrejectd2macreject Posts: 724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean the shopping centre in Warrington? :)