Options

World Fantasy Award in "Racist" controversy...

Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
Forum Member
Criticism has been levelled at the World Fantasy Award, which is
in the shape of writer H. P. Lovecraft - an acclaimed writer of
supernatural horror, but also the subject of controversy over
strong racist views he expressed in both his fiction and non-fiction.
The board of the World Fantasy awards has said that it is “in discussion” about its winners’ statuette, modelled on the late HP Lovecraft, after calls for the trophy to be changed due to Lovecraft’s “fundamental racism”.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/17/world-fantasy-awards-hp-lovecraft-racism-row-statuette

Personally, I think it might be better to change the award to a symbol- much as
I admire Lovecraft's fiction I don't think a statue of the guy is a fitting
symbol for the either fantasy genre (remember, when the WFAs began in
the 1970s, they were awarded to both supernatural horror AND fantasy,
which isn't the case anymore).

But what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edgar Allan Poe married his 13 year old cousin (claiming she was 21) so I don't think we need to get too PC about HPL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Edgar Allan Poe married his 13 year old cousin (claiming she was 21) so I don't think we need to get too PC about HPL.

True. Most writers are flawed in some way- I was shocked to learn from a
    biography that the kindly Walter De La Mare apparently held strong
    anti-Semitic views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Something that should be mentioned is that AFAIK, is that the
    most repugnant racial statements people are complaining over
    are from Lovecraft's letters and unpublished poems
    like "On the Creation of (N-Words)".

Lovecraft's letters were never, to the best of my
    knowledge, intended for publication. Lovecraft's
    devotees, while they did sterling work preserving his
    ideas in his letters, also left the problematic side of the man
    far more visible.

De La Mare seems not to have written down his anti-semitic views,
    only speaking them to friends; but
    Lovecraft's racist views were written down thousands of times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A Certain Big Name In Horror is Very, Very Angry over the attempts to remove
    Lovecraft's image from the WFA :

http://www.stjoshi.org/news.html

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/s-t-joshi-cant-stop-ranting-about-lovecraft-and-race
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kevin J. Maroney from the influential "New York Review of Science Fiction" supports
    efforts to change the award's image:

http://www.nyrsf.com/2014/09/issue-312-august-2014-editorial-chance-of-face-change-of-heart.html
  • Options
    cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would think there would be more controversy over naming the the premiere peace prize after the inventor of dynamite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You would think there would be more controversy over naming the the premiere peace prize after the inventor of dynamite.

But it's generally believed Nobel was dismayed at seeing his inventions used
    for military purposes, and set up the Peace Prize in response:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/26/health/26docs.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5070&en=919b88628e82140e&ex=1160884800
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most great (and some not so great) writers usually turn out to be barmy to some degree so I can't get too worked up about HPL, dreadful old racist that he was.
    When the current bunch can produce a story as fine as "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward", they can be as judgemental as they wish.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the thing that makes Lovecraft especially problematic is that his racism was part and parcel of what made him such a great horror writer. This was a man who was scared of everything, including other races. The Shadow Over Innsmouth is a classic, but has a massively racist subtext, whereas The Horror At Red Hook isn't so good but the racism is far more overt. All of which makes it more difficult than usual to separate the writer from his work. Personally I still think the wrote some of the greatest horror stories in the English language, and to write Lovecraft off entirely would be pretty bloody stupid. But taking his likeness off the World Fantasy Award? That doesn't seem too outrageous an expression of recognition that the man himself isn't really something to be applauded.

Replace him with Cthulhu. That'll keep most people happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »

Replace him with Cthulhu. That'll keep most people happy.

How about a dragon, or a unicorn? Those are the general symbols of
    fantasy. Countries as diverse as Wales, Russia, Denmark, Israel and China
    have myths of dragons. A dragon would be great!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a dragon, or a unicorn? Those are the general symbols of
    fantasy. Countries as diverse as Wales, Russia, Denmark, Israel and China
    have myths of dragons. A dragon would be great!

There MUST be a dragon and unicorn fantasy award already, surely?

No, I mean Cthulhu would keep both sides happy- it would remove Lovecraft himself, but acknowledge the importance of his work. And ALSO neatly sidestep any accusations of "PC GONE MAD" from Joshi et al.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Isn't every writer a product of the politics and prejudices of their time to some degree or another. From Jane Eyre to Uncle Tom's Cabin to Riddle of the Sands. They all have moments of casual and not so casual racism.

Bram Stoker was another horror writer I found terribly racist but at the time of writing I can imagine that this was very much the norm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't every writer a product of the politics and prejudices of their time to some degree or another. From Jane Eyre to Uncle Tom's Cabin to Riddle of the Sands. They all have moments of casual and not so casual racism.

Bram Stoker was another horror writer I found terribly racist but at the time of writing I can imagine that this was very much the norm.

Thing with Lovecraft was that he was very racist even by the standards of the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The majority of horror writers raised prior to WWII would have held some
    degree of racist views, but not all. Look at Lafcadio Hearn- his first
    wife was half-black, and his second wife was Japanese.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The majority of horror writers raised prior to WWII would have held some
    degree of racist views, but not all. Look at Lafcadio Hearn- his first
    wife was half-black, and his second wife was Japanese.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was against racism and prejudice towards black people, Jewish people and Indian people. Some of his fictional works portray them in a sympathetic light. He also frequently took an interest in legal cases involving a marginalised person. I think the best known is the George Edalji case. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Edalji

Unfortunately, Doyle was rather racist about Chinese people, who he often demonised in his fictional works and non-fiction writings.

Some win, some lose. :D