Cat eating alot more than normal.

DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My cat has decided he wants to eat all the time, for the last 6 months or so he refused to eat wet food and he was eating dried food, just recently hes changed to eating a small amount of the dried stuff, but constantly whinging for wet food, he gets 2 pouches a day alongside his dried food.

Hes putting on weight now and I dont want to over feed him. Even before he would only eat one pouch of wet food and then have his normal amount of dried.

Is it just him packing on some weight for winter, he didnt do it to this extreme last winter.

Comments

• StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, its a boy so at least he isn't pregnant:D

If he isn't obese and has no other symptoms I personally wouldn't worry too much. Mine all usually put on a bit of weight over winter.

The wet food doesn't have the same energy content as dry, which may be why he seems extra hungry. What brands are you feeding? Whiska/felix etc are the cat equivalent of MacDonalds. Nice for a treat, but not the best diet. You may want to try Arden Grange, Burns, James Wellbeloved.

Hard as it is, try not to over feed:D
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    My cat has decided he wants to eat all the time, for the last 6 months or so he refused to eat wet food and he was eating dried food, just recently hes changed to eating a small amount of the dried stuff, but constantly whinging for wet food, he gets 2 pouches a day alongside his dried food.

Hes putting on weight now and I dont want to over feed him. Even before he would only eat one pouch of wet food and then have his normal amount of dried.

Is it just him packing on some weight for winter, he didnt do it to this extreme last winter.

My cat has been eating more than usual over the last couple of weeks. Probably the change to colder weather.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat has a third world mentality toward food. She is constantly meowing for it.

She gets two 100g pouches of Felix wet food and a regular supply of Go Cat complete but just eats what's there then meows for more. Winter or summer makes no difference.