Class A headphone amp - novel design

Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone who dabbles in constructing gadgets might like to look at a design just published on the "Instructables" website. It is for a class A stereo headphone amp, using a double triode valve feeding FETs !

He claims that it gives exceptional audio quality, although is not very portable thanks to a hefty lead-acid battery ! But even the valve works from 12 volts !

I must admit, the best amp that I ever built quality-wise was a class-A headphone amp, using a single VN67AF V-FET per channel. Great sound, especially the bass. It even used to drive a pair of Leak sandwich speakers, again with reasonable bass. It did run quite hot, but FETs are resiliant to thermal runaway. The battery ran hot too !

So this guy's along the right lines to have a hefty battery linked up.

Anyway, if headphone amps are your thing, the project is at :

http://www.instructables.com/id/Class-A-Hybrid-Headphone-Amp/

Happy listening ! Phil

Comments

• jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    This forum's resident expert will be with us shortly to rubbish the idea of using triodes in modern electronics, I'm sure.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    This forum's resident expert will be with us shortly to rubbish the idea of using triodes in modern electronics, I'm sure.

gosh, controversial! :D
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Notice there's no specifications included - best not to measure the distortion :p

Still at least he's honest about his reasoning for doing, they glow :D
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so sure I'd wire the volume control pot up as shown in that circuit diagram either. The way it's shown with the volume at zero you'll be shorting the input source to ground! More conventional to wire the input source to the top of the pot and feed the rest of the circuit from the wiper.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Not so sure I'd wire the volume control pot up as shown in that circuit diagram either. The way it's shown with the volume at zero you'll be shorting the input source to ground! More conventional to wire the input source to the top of the pot and feed the rest of the circuit from the wiper.

Yes, I've always absolutely hated that wrong way of wiring a volume control - and can't ever see any reason for doing it?.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I've always absolutely hated that wrong way of wiring a volume control - and can't ever see any reason for doing it?.
    Can't say I've seen any kit wired that way. I've certainly never used that method in anything I've designed or built over the last 30 years or so.

And like you can't see any compelling reason to do it that way either.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with current energy prices, I dont see how anyone can afford to run a triode in class A ......... suggest not heating the cathode .......
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just bought a Little Dot MKIII Valve Amp, I find the yellow glow of it's four triodes quite pleasing. I also have a pair of Grado headphones, sound great but horrible to wear.