overweight pup

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,540
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My vets told me today my Labrador is overweight and I need to start measuring his food..which I admit I never did before.. hes 9.4kg at 11 weeks...Never even realised he was.

Anyone else got a lab?what was their weight.

Comments

• Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labs do seem to be prone to becoming over weight. Mainly because they love food!

I can't comment on a pup - but when I got my lovely black lab at three years old, he was around 37 kilos and apparently 25% over his optimum weight. Over the last three years he has been on IAMS light and a dental chew and nothing else - and at his yearly check up last week he was down to 25k - and I am so happy! There are so many overweight labs around - but I want him to be healthy for as long as possible and to live a long and healthy life.

Tip: If you want a healthy lab for many years, do measure his food and resist any treats. And believe me - he will do everything he can to plead for that tiny little pie and chips on your plate! Be horrible - and keep him only on good dog food.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labs do seem to be prone to becoming over weight. Mainly because they love food!

I can't comment on a pup - but when I got my lovely black lab at three years old, he was around 37 kilos and apparently 25% over his optimum weight. Over the last three years he has been on IAMS light and a dental chew and nothing else - and at his yearly check up last week he was down to 25k - and I am so happy! There are so many overweight labs around - but I want him to be healthy for as long as possible and to live a long and healthy life.

Tip: If you want a healthy lab for many years, do measure his food and resist any treats. And believe me - he will do everything he can to plead for that tiny little pie and chips on your plate! Be horrible - and keep him only on good dog food.

Thanks so much for that great advice. I'm starting to weigh his food to around 90g 1/4 cup measure 3 times a day. I'm not used to having dogs and not sure if even this is the correct measure for an 11 week pup. I have also just started taking him out for fifteen mins twice a day so hope I'm doing it right.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pup, especially a large breed like a lab, is better of being lean as a pup.
    If they grow too quickly or carry too much weight it can affect their joints long term.

Maybe give him his meals in a Kong or food ball so it takes him more time to eat and keep him occupied.

Also look at the food you are giving, poor quality kibble can cause problems.

Try Wainwrights, Applaws, Fishmongers, Orijen or Eden :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    A pup, especially a large breed like a lab, is better of being lean as a pup.
    If they grow too quickly or carry too much weight it can affect their joints long term.

Maybe give him his meals in a Kong or food ball so it takes him more time to eat and keep him occupied.

Also look at the food you are giving, poor quality kibble can cause problems.

Try Wainwrights, Applaws, Fishmongers, Orijen or Eden :)

I have him on iams large breed at 1/4 cup 3 times per day. hope that/s not to little.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not fond of Iams as a brand, although I know some people swear by it. I'd recommend a grain-free kibble for him. Muze gave good advice - at his age your puppy should be slightly on the lean side. Don't be tempted to kill him with kindnes (I did that with a mouse once) and give him food he shouldn't have. If you're unsure about how much to feed him, consult your vet. Good luck and keep us updated - I'm sure you'll have many happy years together! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My new border collie pup is a little on the chunky side too (he can hear food being prepared from miles away :D)

The Kong balls as reccomended earlier are excellent. I originally got one to help combat the infamous border collie mental boredom but they have really helped with his diet too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Photos please! :):):) I really miss having our dogs around the house but I still love seeing other peoples. My lab was the greediest dog in the world, he got away with murder :D
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just cut down on its food and take it for more walkies .. simples! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    Just cut down on its food and take it for more walkies .. simples! :D

Don't do this. Once again pandora is talking rubbish. You must be careful not to under nourish pup, and not to over exercise, I think the rule of thumb is 5 mins for every month, but check that, with someone that's sure! With large breeds that are prone to joint problems its especially important as too much pressure on the growing joints can be problematic. Stick to the food recommendations from your vet, and the relevant walking and you'll both be good! Labs are notorious for being rubbish bins, so best to keep him under control now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be walking an 11 weak old pup anywhere for too long. Short bursts on grass surfaces on a lead is fine - they're still growing and their bones are still developing. You really have to watch a labs food intake - not only how much but what you're actually feeding them. They really are walking barking dustbins. Remember it's a lot easier to put weight onto a dog than it is trying to get them to loose it! No snacks either! Although as I type this I'm sharing a packet of crisps with a very cute 6yo black lab :o