G2 HTML5 equipped boxes only.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    janet owen wrote: »
    Welcome to DS, so how does it work,will another connection be required

As it's YouTube obviously over the Internet, you will need to connect your Humax G2 box (NOT your TV) to the Internet to access it.

Assuming your TV is a (so called) 'SMART' TV, then it may already do YouTube.

However, it hardly seems very big news?.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not particularly big news but it adds a bit more value to the platform at no extra cost to the user so can't grumble.

Personally I'm not too worried about all the 'catch-up and other internet services myself, although that's just as well with my G1 box. :p
  • peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true it's FREE on FREESAT:), I wonder if sky will give it free:p
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    peter05 wrote: »
    That's true it's FREE on FREESAT:), I wonder if sky will give it free:p

So you have to add your usual pointless dig at Sky - why don't you just get a life?.
  • VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - why don't you just get a life?.

Now then, children, play nicely.
  • es6300es6300 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Exclusive to freetime boxes according to Freesat !

'coming soon' I guess.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true it's FREE on FREESAT:)
    Yeah...if you have the only box that works with it.

Also, if you're going to stylise Freesat, at least stylise it correctly as all lower case freesat. They never use all capitals.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    es6300 wrote: »
    Exclusive to freetime boxes according to Freesat !

'coming soon' I guess.

Youtube has been available on my Panasonic Freesat PVR/disc player for 4 years.

Only the integration with Freesat as such is new (and limited, it seems, to recent boxes).
  • BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See the body of an e-mail I received from the Freesat Community today:-

Freesat today announced it has sold its 3 millionth product, taking gross retail sales to well over £1bn; four years after the service first launched in 2008. Internet phenomenon YouTube are joining the Freesat celebrations and will soon be available on the platform, in a first for free British TV.
    Freesat added 55,000 new households in the third quarter of 2012. This is more than Sky (25,000 households) and BT Vision (20,000) combined in the same period.
    Emma Scott, Freesat’s Managing Director said: “In just four years we have established ourselves as a real challenger and genuine alternative to pay-TV. In that time we’ve delivered choice and quality, subscription free. Customer choice has driven every stage of our development; not least the launch of our second generation service, in Q3 of last year. We’re now delighted to add to our already fantastic customer offering with YouTube. They join Freesat at a time of rapid growth for our business and will offer our viewers an exclusive, first view of their latest version – previously unseen on free to air TV in the UK.”
    YouTube is the world's most popular online video community allowing millions of people to discover, watch and share originally-created videos. Access to the YouTube app will soon be possible from the Freesat platform - the first time the service will be available from a free to air provider in the UK. The version of YouTube that will be launched is built on HTML 5 and will be its very latest iteration offering a TV-optimised, visually stunning and fully interactive viewing experience.
    Peter Sherman, Product Marketing Manager for YouTube said, "We’re happy to be working with Freesat so that Freesat users can now access YouTube from the platform. Our creator community is developing quality content that will delight and inspire viewers and we’re pleased to be able to bring it to people in new ways.”
    Emma Scott added: “Today’s great news is a testament to our ongoing commitment to delivering genuine viewer choice.”

What you can't see is the graphic that indicates it will be exclusively available on the Freesat <Freetime> platform.
    Forum Member
    and now mentioned on channel 999, just to rub it in to those who don't have a <freetime> box. :eek:

Perhaps they are hoping that non <freetime> owners will purchase a new <freetime> box - increasing the number of units sold. :o
  • Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bspks wrote: »
    The version of YouTube that will be launched is built on HTML 5 and will be its very latest iteration offering a TV-optimised, visually stunning and fully interactive viewing experience.

I wonder just how much a home movie of someones cat having a dump is going to be "a TV-optimised, visually stunning and fully interactive viewing experience." :D
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bspks wrote: »

Freesat today announced it has sold its 3 millionth product........................... We’re now delighted to add to our already fantastic customer offering with YouTube........
    Emma Scott added: “Today’s great news is a testament to our ongoing commitment to delivering genuine viewer choice.”

What you can't see is the graphic that indicates it will be exclusively available on the Freesat <Freetime> platform.

Not great news for the the owners of the 2,990,000 odd devices that can't get it!!!
    Forum Member

doesn't the viewer want more HD Channels, On Demand from ITV, 40D and Demand 5 ?

ongoing - that's the only word that appears to be true, as many items regarding freesat are 'ongoing'/coming soon.

Looks like the G1 boxes are left in the cold.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    doesn't the viewer want more HD Channels, On Demand from ITV, 40D and Demand 5 ?

ongoing - that's the only word that appears to be true, as many items regarding freesat are 'ongoing'/coming soon.

Looks like the G1 boxes are left in the cold.

It was kind of inevitable that the G1 boxes would be left out in the cold with on demand content due to pretty much every video streaming service moving over to HTML5.
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    It was kind of inevitable that the G1 boxes would be left out in the cold with on demand content due to pretty much every video streaming service moving over to HTML5.
    "What we've tried to do is spec our boxes so that they should still be state of the art in four or five years time." It is something no Freeview box on the market can plausibly claim, and sounds like an honest, public service aim. Freesat poses itself as a relatively "future proof" solution, therefore saving consumers money over several years."

not so much of being as future proof
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and now mentioned on channel 999, just to rub it in to those who don't have a <freetime> box. :eek:

Perhaps they are hoping that non <freetime> owners will purchase a new <freetime> box - increasing the number of units sold. :o
    It's quite a bold move for YouTube bearing in mind that of the 3m receivers/TVs sold, only a few thousand will be freetime boxes* and thus capable of running the app. Has YouTube decided on freetime over YouView because freetime uses common standards like HbbTV and thus it is relatively cheap to implement?

*does anyone have any more precise figures?
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No electronic devices are really future proof these days as technology moves on at a pace.

My old Freeview box can't get iPlayer, but my newer one does; but even that can't connect to the latest IPTV channels being offered. My tv doesn't play mkv files but the latest ones do.

My G1 spec freesat box can't do <freetime>, but like everything else, that's progress for you and I'm not going to cry about it. The important thing is it still gets all the freesat satellite channels and records them as it should. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Not great news for the the owners of the 2,990,000 odd devices that can't get it!!!

Not great news for the the owners of the 10,000,000 owners of sky boxes that can't get it either derek500:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not great news for the the owners of the 10,000,000 owners of sky boxes that can't get it either derek500:D

I'm OK, my both my LG Smart TV and smart Blu-Ray have YouTube.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I'm OK, my both my LG Smart TV and smart Blu-Ray have YouTube.

Thats good for you derek 500:), may be you will be able to post on a sky forum for change, and tell them what they will be missing when You Tube really gets going, I know You Tube has been going for a while but I think it will get better in the next year:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    It's quite a bold move for YouTube bearing in mind that of the 3m receivers/TVs sold, only a few thousand will be freetime boxes* and thus capable of running the app. Has YouTube decided on freetime over YouView because freetime uses common standards like HbbTV and thus it is relatively cheap to implement?

Zero according to joinfreesat.
    It’s from the press release, and I’ve just clarified with them, the sales figures are reported up to the end of Q3 2012 and the quote from Emma is Q3 when freetime was announced/launched, even though I’d stand by it being Q4 when physical units were available. So that should mean no freetime receivers have been included within these figures, so we should see some positive movement from the Christmas quarter.

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/freesat-celebrates-3-million-sales/

So this quote from The Guardian is total nonsense!!
    Freesat announced that it has now sold 3m products since its launch in 2008. It said it added 55,000 new households in the third quarter of last year, thanks to the launch of its premium satellite service, Freetime.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/feb/11/youtube-launch-tv-channel-freesat
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »

55,000 give or take a few if the following statement is correct
    Freesat announced that it has now sold 3m products since its launch in 2008. It said it added 55,000 new households in the third quarter of last year, thanks to the launch of its premium satellite service, Freetime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    55,000 give or take a few if the following statement is correct

See the post above. None of the Q3 55,000 were <free time>, as it wasn't on sale until Q4.