Does the iPhone 5 need a screen protector

bazzer00bazzer00 Posts: 77
Forum Member
I find the screen protectors really annoying as you can never get rid of the bubbles. I have read that the glass of the iPhone 5 is quite scratch resistant but I am worried as I do keep my phone in my pocket. Will it get scratched without a screen protector?

Comments

• DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Not if you look after it. Just make sure there are no other metal items in that pocket.
    See my post #3 here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1797289
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive never put one on my iphones (3gs, 4 and now 4S).

I put my 4S in my pocket all day whilst im at work and if i look at the screen under a bright light i can honestly not see one single scratch or blemish. But you have to be careful as in ALWAYS keep the phone on its own in the pocket, keep keys,money etc in another pocket then you cant go wrong really.

I hate screen protectors, as you said you can never get rid of all the bubbles and even if you do after a few months they start lifting from the edges, very annoying and look rubbish.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Buy a case that protrudes over the edge and do not put keys and phones together.

It is very resistant to scratches.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Nope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a case that protrudes over the edge and do not put keys and phones together.

It is very resistant to scratches.

Yeah that's what I've got, it's a thin ish case but there's a slight lip all the way around so if its placed screen down it won't touch grit/dust on a table.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the more expensive screen protectors you cannot tell they are there (no bubbles and make no difference to visibility).

Have a look on Amazon at reviews but the more expensive ones are usually better than (over £5 each and not 10 for £3).
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    (over £5 each and not 10 for £3).

I remember buying 10 screen protectors at 79p for my Nokia 5800 back in the day.

They were shit! :D
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Deleted, wrong thread :o
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    My god man, you shouldn't be on the hard stuff that early in the morning. Pull yourself together!
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the more expensive screen protectors you cannot tell they are there (no bubbles and make no difference to visibility).

Have a look on Amazon at reviews but the more expensive ones are usually better than (over £5 each and not 10 for £3).

The misses had one put on by a shop in town, not sure how much but it looked great, no bubbles and you couldnt really tell it on unless you looked near the ear piece or rubbed your finger across it, but 3months on and its lifting at the edges, i thought that was good but it looks crap now lol
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    The misses had one put on by a shop in town, not sure how much but it looked great, no bubbles and you couldnt really tell it on unless you looked near the ear piece or rubbed your finger across it, but 3months on and its lifting at the edges, i thought that was good but it looks crap now lol

I spent a bit more on the last one but it is good.

Spent I think it was £8/9 but it's got a lifetime guarantee (already tried this out as there was only a slight scratch after 3 months.
  • rocketronnie75rocketronnie75 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I bought 10 for £1.49 off ebay. Ended up wasting 6 of them just because couldn't get bubbles out. The 7th one fitted perfectly without any bubbles and you can hardly see it's there.

If you get a screen protector for the back it will always have bubbles because it is not a smooth surface and is uneven.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a tip for putting them on, put some soapy water in a bowl and before fitting the screen protector dip it in the soapy water and let most of it drip off. Then fit it and use a credit card to push the water out from the center of the screen. Perfect bubble free fitting very time!

Of course keep dabbing any excess water away as its pushed out the edges!

I've got a '10 for £1' cover on my ip5 and I can't tell it's there!
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine's been on for months & it doesn't look tatty at all & it was easy to put on without getting bubbles under it. You just peel it off & do it again.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    I remember buying 10 screen protectors at 79p for my Nokia 5800 back in the day.

They were shit! :D

Haha.. yes!