new wireless theatre kit ?

Hi all

i would like to purchase a home theatre kit or similar for surround sound, i would like it to play blueray and have wireless speakers or is it possible just to purchase speakers and use my ps3 to play movies?

any recommendations would be great

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,503
    Forum Member
    If you already have a PS3 to play Blu-Ray then a proper, grown up AV amp would be a better bet (it would be a better bet even without the PS3). Look at Richer Sounds for brands Onkyo,Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wireless speakers in the literal sense of having no wires at all do not exist. You still need a mains cable to power the amplifier and wireless receiver in the speaker. The only wire you lose is the one from amp to speaker.

So if there is no mains socket nearby or you want the speakers out in the middle of the room but no wires trailing across the carpet then you are stuffed.

The PS3 does not have any form of amplifier capable of driving speakers. Not even sure it has the necessary analogue outputs for surround sound to plug up self powered speakers. So you would be looking at a surround system to make any noise.

A pretty good value system is this

http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/yamaha/yht196/yama-yht196

£180 for a decent amp and speaker set. For a bit more

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/onkyo/hts3505/onky-hts3505-blk

I personally would not recommend one of those all in one toys to anyone. Those are the types that have a disk player and amplifier in one box. They are often very limited in their abilities and have downsides when it comes to repair or upgrade. Often the only upgrade is to chuck it away and buy a new one. Whereas with a separates system as above you just upgrade a bit at a time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad price for a "proper" home cinema. I had a look around the electrical shops the other week at the different all in one cinemas and some of them cost far more than those linked on here. I saw a 7.1 LG priced at £699 :eek: and the Samsung's weren't that much cheaper and for what ?, an inferior sound to even bottom end systems like those posted on here. So why such a high price ?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad price for a "proper" home cinema. I had a look around the electrical shops the other week at the different all in one cinemas and some of them cost far more than those linked on here. I saw a 7.1 LG priced at £699 :eek: and the Samsung's weren't that much cheaper and for what ?, an inferior sound to even bottom end systems like those posted on here. So why such a high price ?.
    Because people are prepared to pay that sort of silly money and there are people willing to take it off them. And lets face it the last place anyone looking for a good AV system would enter is Currys or Argos :D

Even if you factor in the price of a half way decent Blu-Ray player you'd get a good system for no more than 350 quid with the Onkyo system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Wireless speakers in the literal sense of having no wires at all do not exist. You still need a mains cable to power the amplifier and wireless receiver in the speaker. The only wire you lose is the one from amp to speaker.

So if there is no mains socket nearby or you want the speakers out in the middle of the room but no wires trailing across the carpet then you are stuffed.

The PS3 does not have any form of amplifier capable of driving speakers. Not even sure it has the necessary analogue outputs for surround sound to plug up self powered speakers. So you would be looking at a surround system to make any noise.

A pretty good value system is this

http://www.richersounds.com/product/1-box-home-cinema-systems/yamaha/yht196/yama-yht196

£180 for a decent amp and speaker set. For a bit more

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/onkyo/hts3505/onky-hts3505-blk

I personally would not recommend one of those all in one toys to anyone. Those are the types that have a disk player and amplifier in one box. They are often very limited in their abilities and have downsides when it comes to repair or upgrade. Often the only upgrade is to chuck it away and buy a new one. Whereas with a separates system as above you just upgrade a bit at a time.

I have never heard of the onkyo brand,is it good quality and beter value for money compared to a samusang/lg home cinema kit?

I am willing to pay up to £350 for a kit.

Does the onkyo have wireless speakers except power cable and does it have a dvd player built in?

Many thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi there, I've had a 3.1 Onkyo all in one for a while now and have the other 2 speakers to make it 5.1 I'm pleased with it, don't worry about wireless, get the suggested system and set it up as 3.1 in that set up everthing is close together so don't worry about the wires then after that you could find a way to wire up the other 2 to make it 5.1, I haven't yet but I have an nephew who is willing to crawel under the floor for me when I get round to doing it. There are ways to route the wires I'm sure others will suggest and link you to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dyk316 wrote: »
    I have never heard of the onkyo brand,is it good quality and beter value for money compared to a samusang/lg home cinema kit?

I am willing to pay up to £350 for a kit.

Does the onkyo have wireless speakers except power cable and does it have a dvd player built in?

Many thanks
    As it says on the Richersounds website linked to the Onkyo is an AV receiver and speaker package only. It has no disk player of any type. But as you have a PS3 that is no problem, it is a very capable Blu-Ray/DVD player.

It does not have wireless speakers. I don't get this thing about wireless speakers. I have yet to see any location where it is totally impossible to run cables from the amp to the speakers. And you are likely to get better more reliable performance from cables anyway.

Onkyo are a well established and respected brand in this market. Their kit is going to be far better than any all in one system from the likes of LG or Samsung.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    [
    QUOTE=chrisjr;63837568]As it says on the Richersounds website linked to the Onkyo is an AV receiver and speaker package only. It has no disk player of any type. But as you have a PS3 that is no problem, it is a very capable Blu-Ray/DVD player.

It does not have wireless speakers. I don't get this thing about wireless speakers. I have yet to see any location where it is totally impossible to run cables from the amp to the speakers. And you are likely to get better more reliable performance from cables anyway.

Onkyo are a well established and respected brand in this market. Their kit is going to be far better than any all in one system from the likes of LG or Samsung.[/QUOTE]

I just think wireless would be easier as i have wood flooring and a fire place in midd of wall, do they do wireless or other option would be to get just the speakers either side of tv then cables would be fine? But would this still give sound
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dyk316 wrote: »
    I just think wireless would be easier as i have wood flooring and a fire place in midd of wall, do they do wireless or other option would be to get just the speakers either side of tv then cables would be fine? But would this still give sound
    There is no wireless option with any of the systems I linked to. I don't know of any AV kit that does do wireless. As I said I have yet to come across any room where cables are impossible to run one way or another.It all depends on how much effort you are willing to put in and how worried you are about the aesthetics.

If you don't want the hassle of running cables round the room then a basic 2.1 system could do the trick. One of the best is

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/onkyo/htx22hdx/onky-htx22hdx-blk

The sub contains the AV amplifier so one less box to worry about. But it has pretty much all the facilities of a separate amp. So no problem connecting to the TV and your PS3 and any other kit you have, eg Sky/Freesat/Freeview box.

And if you do want to go the full surround route it can be expanded to full 5.1 with the optional speaker kit. Though you would still need to run cables.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The LG bluray, I bought has home Cinema built in but you can put your own speakers with it as the speaker kit is seperate.

I did buy the speaker kit though as there was money off if you bought both and the sound is excellent, makes the whole house shake up high.