Reception in Bournemouth??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
Forum Member
Hi to anyone who views this message

Does anyone know if there is any digital reception in bournemouth, as the freeview website says no, but that could be out of date and not updated??

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,890
    Forum Member
    In theory there is only limited reliable reception in Bournemouth, hence most of the town is a "no go" for DTT... however as it is a fringe reception area for digital TV it is possible (with a good quality aerial) to get a signal from either Rowridge (on the Isle of Wight) or Mendip (in Somerset) in parts of the town, depending on exactly where you live.

As an area of fringe reception you may have to make up with unreliable reception, especially prone to interference from distant stations as weather changes.

It may be worth asking a professional to perform a site survey to see if reception might be viable... alternatively, if you already have good quality analogue reception from Rowridge you could buy a box to try it (as long as you buy from a retailer who will allow you to return it if it doesn't work)? :)
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bournemouth is a bit hilly, which I think is the main problem. The "first choice" transmitter would be Rowridge on the IOW. Reception will depend on precisly where you are. If your view of the IOW is blocked, then Freeview will be difficult or impossible to get. But I guess if you can see the IOW, you should stand a much better chance.

I would recommend.....www.dtg.org.uk Their post code checker is more accurate, handles reception from more than one transmitter (where possible), and gives prediction channel by channel, and its just been updated.

You may require a new bigger aerial with more "gain", even if DTG site says reception is possible.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Hi Bigweed,
    I live in Pinesprings/Broadstone area and recieve all Freeview Channels mostly OK , I get a couple of momentry picture freezes & sound dropouts an evening (possibly traffic/electrical interference), I think that the advantages of the crystal clear picture + the additional channels far outweigh the odd glitch, I no longer watch anything on analogue (note to other DS members we still dont get Channel 5 on analogue down here- something to do with interfering with the French miliatary I've heard !!)

I recieve from Rowridge on the IOW, you can easily check if you are, (1) by looking at your aerial - it should be horizontal & (2) check your uhf channel setting on bbc1, it will be on Ch31if from the IOW.

I think David (2) is correct about a better aerial, I had mediocre DTT reception here until I bought a high gain aerial from DJ Electronics (Ensbury Park Rd ).

Incidentally, My parents live in Kinson and recieve Freeview perfectly, Both of our postcodes say NO on the official Freeview site, but possibly yes on this one:- http://www.dtg.org.uk/ , Hope that helps :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I live in Winton and get all the channels! I know that the aerial is pointing to the IOW but the aerial was already installed when i moved in so i have no idea about it except it is high gain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe ring around a few local aerial installers and ask the question. If you do need a larger aerial, but sure that
    1) You get good quality CT100 cable attached to it - it will help reduce interference and keep weak signals as strong as poss.
    2) U use a company that has done installations for DTT in the past - even if its £20 more - it will be well worth if it stops random breakup up pictures or sound.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    i live in the southbourne area,am using a loft aerial and have no problems.receive everything now since rowridge updated their technology! of course u can get freeview in bmth! dont listen to any crap! freeview boxes on sale in every shop,so why would there be a problem? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wavefinder wrote:
    i live in the southbourne area,am using a loft aerial and have no problems.receive everything now since rowridge updated their technology! of course u can get freeview in bmth! dont listen to any crap! freeview boxes on sale in every shop,so why would there be a problem? :)

I agree that DTT should be avaliable to more of the area than is indicated. I would say that towards the Christchurch side, there might be people using a "local relay mast" for analogue - at least I think there is one there. If so, they would certainly require a new aerial. Other than that, some people might be on the "right" transmitter, but maybe using just a very basic aerial which provides grainy analogue - good enough for that, but not enough to get stable freeview operation.

I note that Freeview boxes are in shops where Freeview is not possible. I use Weymouth as an example. Very poor - zero freeview coverage, but the shops carry Freeview boxes.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,890
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote:
    I agree that DTT should be avaliable to more of the area than is indicated.

I think that the problem is that whilst reception is certainly possible in Bournemouth, it is not expected to be reliable all the time.

Every summer there are posts here on Digitalspy when people have poor or non-existant reception as atmospheric conditions distrupt reception across the South Coast.

Rowridge suffers from having co-channel digital relationships with several neighbouring transmitters (including Stockland Hill and Mont Picon which serves Normandy) for viewers living on the fringe of the service area in and around Bournemouth this would result in loss of service.
  • Cherries_fanCherries_fan Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I have relatives who live in Parkwood Road, Southbourne & they receive all the muxes loud & clear without a change of aerial (since ITV mux moved frequency)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    bigweed wrote:
    Hi to anyone who views this message

Does anyone know if there is any digital reception in bournemouth, as the freeview website says no, but that could be out of date and not updated??

Thanks

Whereabouts in Bournemouth? I'm in Corfe Mullen and get 9.5/10 signals from a Maxview 18 ele in the LOFT on all muxes!

Graham W
  • cablejunkiecablejunkie Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I live in Winton & get good Freeview reception (apart from occasional glitches caused by some passing traffic) using the 23 element version of this aerial pointing at Rowridge.

Although it's now not necessary to upgrade to a wide-band aerial as the ITV Mux has moved to channel 28 which can be picked up with the same aerial as you use for analogue reception.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I live in Moordown and have been using a Sagem box since Christmas. I've had no problems at all.