How can I stop my phone telling everyone I am a racist scumbag?????

JFCJFC Posts: 569
Forum Member
✭✭
OK, I reinstalled Kies the other day for my phone on three as it said I had an update.

The whole phone went through the update process and the number did not change. 4.2.2 to 4.2.2.

Now my phone is sending texts to my new GF about Lee Rigby and anti muslim stuff in general.

She now thinks I am a racist English Defence League drunken halfwit. She knows I am not now but I am not sure who else it is sending it too!

How do I sort this?

Comments

• JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK I am looking into doing a factory reset... though the fact that it 'upgraded'... does that mean it will reset back to the original firmware or the hacked firmware?

three do not answer their phones at this time of night it seems
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,390
    Forum Member
    Forgive me, and I'm sorry I can't help, but this has made me laugh. I know it's serious, though.

Android phone, by any chance? A farce of an OS.
    Forum Member
    JFC wrote: »
    OK I am looking into doing a factory reset... though the fact that it 'upgraded'... does that mean it will reset back to the original firmware or the hacked firmware?

three do not answer their phones at this time of night it seems
    I reckon a factory reset should sort it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Forgive me, and I'm sorry I can't help, but this has made me laugh. I know it's serious, though.

Sort of made me laugh a bit and be annoyed at the same time, she is half Indian and has had p*ki comments directed at her from knuckle draggers in the past.

As the whole 'firmware' update went through the normal process of updating the software on the phone, will it not restore that?

Do I need to find the origional software or get three to send me a software update?
    Forum Member
    Sort of made me laugh a bit and be annoyed at the same time, she is half Indian and has had p*ki comments directed at her from knuckle draggers in the past.

As the whole 'firmware' update went through the normal process of updating the software on the phone, will it not restore that?

Do I need to find the origional software or get three to send me a software update?
    Well in that case, I can see why she may have been offended. Possibly not the best start to your relationship... :p

It sounds like you've been duped by some malware masquerading as a software update - as you say, your version hasn't changed.

Factory reset should work, much in the same way as you'd reset your PC if viruses had gotten the better of it.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On what basis are you making that garbage statement?
    Now my phone is sending texts to my new GF about Lee Rigby and anti muslim stuff in general.

She now thinks I am a racist English Defence League drunken halfwit. She knows I am not now but I am not sure who else it is sending it too!
    I would suggest this is the work of a dodgy app and has nothing to do with the "upgrade". The fact that it went from Android version 4.2.2 to 4.2.2 means nothing - the update may just have been a Samsung bugfix update that didn't affect the Android version number. It's likely the "build" number would still have changed.

Kies is generally regarded as a piece of ****, but I've yet to hear of it turning someone's phone into some sort of BNP warrior. So ruling out any other factors - eg. your girlfriend pulling your leg (I trust you've seen the messages that you've "sent" on her phone), it's got to be a dodgy app. Have you installed anything from outside of the Play store, or anything that asked for odd permissions or seemed dodgy?

Either way, factory reset is probably your best bet. Back up your important stuff and then reset. It may well need updating again afterwards, but rest assured it's not the upgrade process that has caused this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would suggest this is the work of a dodgy app and has nothing to do with the "upgrade". The fact that it went from Android version 4.2.2 to 4.2.2 means nothing - the update may just have been a Samsung bugfix update that didn't affect the Android version number. It's likely the "build" number would still have changed.

Kies is generally regarded as a piece of shit, but I've yet to hear of it turning someone's phone into some sort of BNP warrior. So ruling out any other factors - eg. your girlfriend pulling your leg (I trust you've seen the messages that you've "sent" on her phone), it's got to be a dodgy app. Have you installed anything from outside of the Play store, or anything that asked for odd permissions or seemed dodgy?

Either way, factory reset is probably your best bet. Back up your important stuff and then reset. It may well need updating again afterwards, but rest assured it's not the upgrade process that has caused this.

Agreed Kies is the worst piece of software ever. Not sure she is pulling my leg. She is clueless about phones and it appeared in the message thread.

Think you maybe right about the dodgy app. An app called 'Vodaphone updates' has suddenly appeared in my drop down taskbar and I have no idea what it or how to remove it.

I suspect you are right about the firmware update. that is the android number, not the samsung numbering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well in that case, I can see why she may have been offended. Possibly not the best start to your relationship... :p

It sounds like you've been duped by some malware masquerading as a software update - as you say, your version hasn't changed.

Factory reset should work, much in the same way as you'd reset your PC if viruses had gotten the better of it.

Innit! Good job she knows I am not ha ha.

going to give it a go tomorrow otherwise the three shop is open so will wing it in there. thanks guys for your time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry, one more question pi, if i reset will i still get the dodgy app?
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reset should restore it to how it was when you bought the phone, so the dodgy app should be dust. Obviously if you then go ahead and redownload everything you had on before, chances are high that the dodgy app will reappear, so be careful what you download once you have reset. In particular, keep your eye on permissions - nothing should really need permission to send SMS, but a few genuine apps still do (eg. WhatsApp). However, if you download, say, a wallpaper and it suddenly requires SMS permissions, that should be your alarm bell.

Any apps you're not sure about, post them on here - someone will be able to tell you if they're dodgy or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reset should restore it to how it was when you bought the phone, so the dodgy app should be dust. Obviously if you then go ahead and redownload everything you had on before, chances are high that the dodgy app will reappear, so be careful what you download once you have reset. In particular, keep your eye on permissions - nothing should really need permission to send SMS, but a few genuine apps still do (eg. WhatsApp). However, if you download, say, a wallpaper and it suddenly requires SMS permissions, that should be your alarm bell.

Any apps you're not sure about, post them on here - someone will be able to tell you if they're dodgy or not.

Thanks Pi, something dodgy happened today. I have not put any apps on it for a couple of weeks and no problems, a client sent me some money by pingit this afternoon and the phone would not let me install it as it claimed the phone was rooted which it is not. Bought it when the s4 first came out on Three and i have not pissed about with it.

Any ideas?
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The update you got recently was most likely the one to add the ability to move apps to the SD card, it's seeding just now.

As for texts, pi r squared has covered that off pretty well.

With regards to pingit, go into Menu > Settings > More (tab) > About device > Status and scroll down to Device status - what does it say?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the thing that has appeared actually says Vodaphone updates, rather than Vodafone, that's a dead giveaway that it's dodgy. Wrong spelling.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Always nice to see super accurate information delivered with an unbiased opinion isnt it.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member

Perhaps on the basis of what's actually happened?
    Viruses and malware on smartphones?
    The day I have to install anti-virus software on my phone is the day I stop using one.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Is your phone a BNP supporter by any chance? :D
  • spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the thing that has appeared actually says Vodaphone updates, rather than Vodafone, that's a dead giveaway that it's dodgy. Wrong spelling.

The fact he is on the 3 network and not Vodafone is more of a giveaway :p:D
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did that happen?
  • carcasscarcass Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    :eek: :D
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It sounds like a Big Naughty Phone alright ...