Adele: Golden Globes. Really Adele, just popped out...knees up mother brown!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do people still actually talk like that in London? Can she not talk with a little effort to sound better? I feel embarrassed that the rest of the world thinks we all talk like that from London.

Oh, and we really believe you just happened to pop out with a mate and end up at the Golden Globes with an award in your hand.

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    dezire wrote: »
    Do people still actually talk like that in London? Can she not talk with a little effort to sound better? I feel embarrassed that the rest of the world thinks we all talk like that from London.

Oh, and we really believe you just happened to pop out with a mate and end up at the Golden Globes with an award in your hand.

Sound better?she sounds how she should for the place she was born in. do you not get that she was actually invited to the GGand took her firend?she did know she was up for an award you know,BLIMEY!
  • Hugh LetdownHugh Letdown Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people still actually talk like that in London?

Yes, some do. Why do you ask? Is it not plain? You've just heard her, right?
    Can she not talk with a little effort to sound better?

Sound better? What to your ignorant ears? She shouldn't bother trying to please the confused and spiteful.
    I feel embarrassed that the rest of the world thinks we all talk like that from London.

You seem to be the only one that has a problem understanding that some people talk like that. Even when you've just witnessed it.

Don't include "the rest of the world" in your personal miserable befuddlement, eh? See how that works out for you. Just be embarrassed for yourself.

The "rest of the world", for the most part, aren't nearly as ignorant as some.

Oh, and no "we" all understand this too. Again, you seem upset and it's only because you fail to comprehend.

SFOT,E?
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the OP woudl prefer it if she went all Jafakean??

Yeah, thats realy London isnt it?? :rolleyes:
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel embarrassed that the rest of the world thinks we all talk like that from London.

You're absolutely right. For a genuine cockney accent they need look no further than Dick van Dyke's "Bert" in Mary Poppins.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member

I cringed when I saw her on the news this morning:yawn:
    And the song that won was terrible. Possibly the worst Bond song ever (It's a cross between Skyfall and that Jack White abomination).
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the song that won was terrible. Possibly the worst Bond song ever (It's a cross between Skyfall and that Jack White abomination).

Er...it IS Skyfall. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm glad I wasn't the only one cringing! She sounded like a market stall holder flogging a pound of apples!
  • able1able1 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one cringing! She sounded like a market stall holder flogging a pound of apples!

She doesn't sound that cultured.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What on earth do you mean? The song is Skyfall - what Jack White 'abomination'? Oh, and I don't think it's the worst Bond song by a long way.

How snobby
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    able1 wrote: »

Why should she try to sound like something which she probably isn't and may not even want to be? Oh - and define 'cultured'. Is that just a posh accent? If so, anyone from Made in Chelsea qualifies, but from my limited exposure to them, most of them are idiots. Idiots with loads of money, but still idiots.
  • peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    We really shouldn't judge people by their accents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Why should she try to sound like something which she probably isn't and may not even want to be? Oh - and define 'cultured'. Is that just a posh accent? If so, anyone from Made in Chelsea qualifies, but from my limited exposure to them, most of them are idiots. Idiots with loads of money, but still idiots.

I don't sound posh, not want her too, just a legible accent would be fine.

You have clearly confused good pronunciation and communication skills with having a posh accent
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did she go out, or did she go out out ? :D
    She sounds like Micky Flanagan !
    Is it Jon Richardson who said she sounds like she's singing about "Scaffold" ?
    Some people do over exaggerate their accent though, for some reason.
  • ubermanuberman Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like her new song about scaffold :)

Edit: ha! Beat me to it Andy :)
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I don't sound posh, not want her too, just a legible accent would be fine.

You have clearly confused good pronunciation and communication skills with having a posh accent

The irony of your criticism of her communication skills, given your own errors above, is clearly lost on you...;)
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    uberman wrote: »
    I like her new song about scaffold :)

Edit: ha! Beat me to it Andy :)

Ha Haaaaaa ! :D
  • poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    able1 wrote: »

But I bet her bank balance is and the house she bought certainly is!

Good luck to the girl, but my only worry is that she doesn't overdo it and become a professional cockerney.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    poshnosh wrote: »
    But I bet her bank balance is and the house she bought certainly is!

Good luck to the girl, but my only worry is that she doesn't overdo it and become a professional cockerney.

Or even worse go down the Joss Stone route and get a yank accent:eek:
  • sanfran1sanfran1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    peaches41 wrote: »
    We really shouldn't judge people by their accents.

I agree with you, especially singers!

Nadine from Girls Aloud is always getting criticised for her accent. She can't please some people - she's either accused of exaggerating her own Derry accent or trying to sound American!

IMO, she speaks quite slowly because her natural speed would be too quick for others to understand.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She just thought she was on a night out?

Yeah, right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    What on earth do you mean? The song is Skyfall - what Jack White 'abomination'? Oh, and I don't think it's the worst Bond song by a long way.

Probably 'Another Way To Die', Jack White's duet with Alicia Keys from the previous Bond film, Quantum of Solace.

Have to say, personally, Skyfall is the best Bond song of the 21st century, best one since The World Is Not Enough. Perhaps that's not saying much, because I found Chris Cornell's 'You Know My Name' to be utterly forgettable and Madonna's 'Die Another Day' was awful.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure Adele really worries about what people think of her in her mansion with loads of wonga in the bank! Not!

She can speak ow she wants Guv'

Now Catherine Zeta Jones and Christian Bale.....
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utterly ridiculous snob thread.

Dear OP, do tell us which other regional accents you hate, I'd love to know. :rolleyes:
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She just thought she was on a night out?

Yeah, right.

Indeed!
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,526
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Adele really worries about what people think of her in her mansion with loads of wonga in the bank! Not!

She can speak ow she wants Guv'

Now Catherine Zeta Jones and Christian Bale.....

Yes :D

I love all the diverse accents we've got in this country. I'd much rather hear these than the faux accents put on by Bale and Zeta Jones. She's obviously proud of where she comes from and doesn't feel the need to hide it by changing her accent.