Would you buy the 'One' if it came with free PayTV subscription?

ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
Forum Member
There are rumors that MSFT are talking to pay cable/satellite providers for a deal to sell the 'one' subsidized with subscription.

Could such a deal work here with Sky/Virgin?

Would you buy the 'one' from Sky, for £299, if it came with 12 months free subcription to Sky World, worth £65 a month???

Comments

• LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I wouldn't.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    There are rumors that MSFT are talking to pay cable/satellite providers for a deal to sell the 'one' subsidized with subscription.

Would you buy the 'one' from Sky, for £299, if it came with 12 months free subcription to Sky World, worth £65 a month???

Over £700 worth of subscription package for £300, I would take that for the year.

More likely to be £400 for the box and a package like the Virgin M pack as long as you subscribe to LIVE.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member

I'm not sure l see the point. Why would Sky or Virgin (who have worked hard to promote their own boxes) promote another box which is designed to sit in between your existing STB and your TV?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If both have it then yeah, it doesn't become desirable, if only Sky or only Virgin had it then they might get some more customers.

But if only one has it, that isn't as desirable for MS.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I take it with the lack of responses, not too many people are too keen on the idea!

Phil Spencer did say he wanted the Xbox One to revolutionize television! :D Oh well....
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it with the lack of responses, not too many people are too keen on the idea!

Phil Spencer did say he wanted the Xbox One to revolutionize television! :D Oh well....

Ask the same question in the TV forums, as this is a gaming forum the responses might be low. It's hard to say which forum is best to discuss the X1, gaming or TV? :p
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Unless it can be a fully functioning skyhd pvr then I'm out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would Sky or Virgin want to do that? The Xbone just overlays over the top of their interfaces., and people would constantly be switching back to the sky/virgin box every time they want to record, or watch a recording. It would just be giving their customers a worse user experience. Not to mention the money they would be losing.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If they do do it then it's more likely to be the other way round such as "Subscribe to <this package> for <money> per month for <contract period> and recive free Xbox One with <appropriate apps> included"

Likely to be quite a long contract term so they can cover the cost of the free box. Expect massive early termination penalties, if they allow you out at all.

And, no I wouldn't do this as (a) I cant get a Virgin's service where I am and (b) I don't want to put any money in Sky's pocket and (c) I am finding it hard to want a Xbox One, even if "free".

On the other hand, tell me the free Xbox One will be hand delivered by Keira Knightley who will then help me set it up and give me in depth tutorials on all the launch day titles whilst drinking copious amount of (also free) beer - then I might consider it.