Food and Drink BBC2

Comments

• kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    addix wrote: »
    MRJ AND Mary Berry next week - can't get any better!

oh i will watch that!!

we turned off at the 'bugs' bit:eek: then we ended up watching something else, im veggie so i'd like to see more vegetarian cooking alongside the meat etc
    apparently in the radio times, michel roux said mary berry told him off lol...cant wait to see it on telly!:D
    i love his enthusiasm for food, he is v watchable:D
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a few people on twitter agreeing with folks here.. the wine bit needs work with the brands etc announced rather than just the type of wine. Can't see why they wouldn't be able to do that.. Saturday Kitchen does.
  • jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    Totally unimpressed.
    The fat one contributed nothing of value, the hyperactive woman needs to control her hands and the whole program smacked of false bonhomie.

Give me the Nigel Slater approach every time.
  • crazybabecrazybabe Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    addix wrote: »
    MRJ AND Mary Berry next week - can't get any better!

Lovely programme, and I agree next week's should be great :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Not enough info for me. i wanted to know what the Portugese red wine was, how much it cost and where to buy it - same with the cider. Overall a bit bland and sanitised as a programme, learned nothing new.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Not enough info for me. i wanted to know what the Portugese red wine was, how much it cost and where to buy it - same with the cider. Overall a bit bland and sanitised as a programme, learned nothing new.
    Have to agree....I just don't think the people who made this, had ever seen Food & Drink.

I was bored by the end....and wasn't it the case, when they did the Wine Tasting, they told you the week before which Wines they were going to Taste, so you could join in.:cool:

Mary might brighten it up next week....can't get any worse.
  • ICanBeBotheredICanBeBothered Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Agree with others that it would have been very useful to know the details of the wines, unless they are prohibitively expensive. Speaking of which: what do you think should be a reasonable price range for viewers?

The bit that I least enjoyed was the post-mealworm discussion around the table. I found only Tom's point of any interest: i.e. learning to appreciate every part of the animals we kill for food.

I would very gladly embrace nose-to-tail eating: the problem is finding these cuts. The only offal that is widely available is liver, kidneys and heart.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the whole I enjoyed the programme but disappointed Tom was only a guest chef. However the BBC have done themselves proud here; finding somone more irritaing that Jilly Goolden! She did wave her arms around too much but what made me laugh was the way she just walked in an hovered in the background like someone who had just popped back in from a quick trip down to the local Tesco Express.

Liked the fact the studio feel had gone from the old series way back.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really great show, MRJ is made for TV and Tom Kerridge was excellent. I like a chap who likes his food. ;)

I'm going to have a boast now, I've eaten pork with crackling in MR's restaurant and I've chatted to the great man himself. He's just as interesting and enthusiastic in person and his restaurant and food are nothing short of sensational.

I can't wait for next week's show. Mary Berry and MR :cool::cool::cool:
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    turquoiseblue: I'd love to go eat there one day. Is it a nice atmosphere? I'd be worried about feeling out of place or it being a bit too posh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    turquoiseblue: I'd love to go eat there one day. Is it a nice atmosphere? I'd be worried about feeling out of place or it being a bit too posh.

I've eaten at Michel's restaurant, the food is out of this world, the front of house staff are lovely and make sure everyone has the best evening possible, not too posh, the manager was very chatty and lovely, definitely worth saving up for :)
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We're definitely not posh types, just ordinary people. When we went we'd been Christmas shopping all day, so were dressed really casual. We looked like Mr and Mrs bag people lol. Anyway, they couldn't make you feel more welcome. You get shown to your table and given a complimentary bottle of water whilst you look at the menu. The waiter is on hand to explain everything and you feel very welcome and comfortable asking any old question. Whilst we were eating our mains MR came to our table to ask if everything was ok. He had time to stop and chat and was charming. The food was exceptional and you got loads. I loved the homemade warm bread rolls and every time I finished one they offered me another. I had three :o and they offered me a fourth one. You get complimentary courses as well as what you've ordered. I had the cheeseboard for dessert and it was the size of our kitchen table. The waiter hung around and helped me decide which cheeses to have. He suggested five and I had a decent slice of each one. I'm sure if I'd chosen six or seven they'd not have batted an eyelid! Anyway, I'll stop going on now, but do go, you won't regret it for a moment.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say in all honesty I enjoyed it. I really like MRJ but I don't feel he is right for this programme. It was a bit "Saturday Kitchen meets Tea with the Vicar"!

Will try it again next week and see how it goes.

The old programme used to be full of tips etc this was too cheffy for me again!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jassi wrote: »
    Totally unimpressed.
    The fat one contributed nothing of value, the hyperactive woman needs to control her hands and the whole program smacked of false bonhomie.

Give me the Nigel Slater approach every time.

Didn't like it at all. Nothing new, nor different. Cooking a roast dinner. Not exactly groundbreaking. What I find hilarious, is that most of the comments on here are praising the quince paste tip, Which is ironically the most difficult to source. So that'll be that then. The sum total of a half hour show. However, this time next week the shops will be knee-deep in quince paste :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Agree with others that it would have been very useful to know the details of the wines, unless they are prohibitively expensive. Speaking of which: what do you think should be a reasonable price range for viewers?

The bit that I least enjoyed was the post-mealworm discussion around the table. I found only Tom's point of any interest: i.e. learning to appreciate every part of the animals we kill for food.

I would very gladly embrace nose-to-tail eating: the problem is finding these cuts. The only offal that is widely available is liver, kidneys and heart.
    On Saturday Kitchen the wines are generally priced between £6 and £15 - £7-£8 is usual. On special occations they might go a bit further.

Not sure if she's going to do a selection of drinks each week but if she does then i'm not sure people could drink along. It could get quite expensive buying a couple of bottles of wine, a bottle or two of cider/beer and maybe something else as well.

I agree witht the point about nose to tail. And also about horse & donkey meat. It was a useful addition to the discussion.

Annoying though that the girl sat there nodding her head in agreement then right at the very end she seemed to forget everything previously discussed and said "i'm not eating donkey!!!"

That said though, like I said in my previous post, i've seen this discussion several times on food programmes. It seems to popup every year so really nothing new.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a bit weird that the Jilly went on about what wines go nicely with food and everyhting, but she didn't actually tell us what any of the wines were or where to buy them. I'm sure old Jilly used to say "it's £4.99 in Sainsburys" didn't she?
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with others that it would have been very useful to know the details of the wines, unless they are prohibitively expensive.
    Yes, I was mildly irritated by that. I suppose on Saturday Kitchen (as mentioned by someone else) the wines chosen are from the Tescos / Waitroses / Majestic Wines and there are branches throughout the country whereas perhaps this show didn't want to constrain their choices by guaranteeing nationwide(ish) availability.
    Speaking of which: what do you think should be a reasonable price range for viewers?

I think up to £10 or £12 would be a reasonable budget but dependent somewhat on the dish - no point is spending £12 on wine to go with a roast veg tatin - imo.

I feed dried mealworms to various birds around and about (delivered to a ledge behind a bush that I know our little wrens and robins frequent) and I've often commented to OH how nice they smell. There are definite overtones of a meaty, bacon-y nibble with drinks scent about them. I have never actually tried one though... hmmmmm...
  • suzielou1970suzielou1970 Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    I thought the cheese expert looked familiar. It was Juliet Harbutt who was in Come Dine With Me a few years ago - the one where the South African shop owner cooked wildebeest if I'm not mistaken!!:rolleyes:
    I think I need to get out more and stop watching so many cookery shows!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Kerridge always seems like a lovely bloke on TV, wish he was a presenter every week!
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    oh i will watch that!!

we turned off at the 'bugs' bit:eek: then we ended up watching something else, im veggie so i'd like to see more vegetarian cooking alongside the meat etc
    apparently in the radio times, michel roux said mary berry told him off lol...cant wait to see it on telly!:D
    i love his enthusiasm for food, he is v watchable:D

ive gone back to eating meat now! i missed it! :rolleyes:
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baking is the new rock & roll!
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it that MRJ drinks his tea in a mug :)
  • applepie2100applepie2100 Posts: 23,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who wouldn't love to have Mary Berry bake something for them? :D

Good old MRJ too!
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRJ dunking in his tea :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love madeleines, must buy some tomorrow!
    I loved that MJR dunks them in the tea :D