is there anyway to keep youtube playing while browseing around internet on tablets

biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
Forum Member
Have a samsung galaxy tab 2 and wanna know if theres a way to do this

It can be done on iphone so is there a way to trick it into working on android ice cream sandwich

Comments

• skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggebruv wrote: »
    It can be done on iphone
    I have no experience of an iPhone so you may be right, but I use an iPad regularly and whenever I've switched from YouTube to any other app the sound stops.

I would've thought that iPhone and iPad would behave the same way. Am I doing something wrong?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Ive had the samsung tab 2 for a few weeks and not found a way to run you tube and something else at the same time.
    The info about it says its designed for multi tasking it doesnt seem to live up to the words.
    Its the only thing ive found to moan about though.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daveetwo wrote: »
    Ive had the samsung tab 2 for a few weeks and not found a way to run you tube and something else at the same time.
    The info about it says its designed for multi tasking it doesnt seem to live up to the words.
    Its the only thing ive found to moan about though.

Its the whole "multi tasking" that winds me up on both Android and iOS. Its limited and quite ridiculously irritating. Especially on iOS .... both running an operating system that could readily handle full blown multi tasking, rather than a loused up version of task switching, but the designers decided that everything needs to be locked down for our own good .....
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this won't help with the Galaxy Tab, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway. you can do this on a Windows 8/RT tablet by opening Youtube on the desktop version of IE10. I just tried this on my Surface to see what would happen. If you open it in the metro version of IE10, it stops the moment you move to another app and restarts when you return to it. However if you click the button to open the tab in Desktop IE, it will continue to play in the background (you can also run the metro IE10 in snap mode next to another app and it will continue to play, too)

The problem with these platforms is that they put the apps to "sleep" whenever they go into the background, in order to save battery life. The OSes only see the browser as a browser and don't consider the fact that there is active content playing in them. The OS would need to be specifically told to allow the browser to run in the background, instead of suspending it - and I believe the only way to do that would be for the developer (Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc) to write that into a future OS update. ie. there's no way to add an exception yourself. Windows doesn't have this problem because it is a full multitasking environment.

EDIT: I also tried using an app called Youtube+. This also allowed the videos to play in the background and it s a metro app, rather than desktop-based. So at least in Windows RT, there is a way for developers to allow their applications the right to run in the background. So I would expect there would be a similar option for Android apps (not so sure about iOS). It might be worth seeing if Youtube+ is available for Android, or try some other Youtube player in the store.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    This player works for me on the galaxy tab 2.
    You can also form playlists which can play in the background whilst you use any other apps.
    Nextvid
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=Nextvid.mobile.player&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIk5leHR2aWQubW9iaWxlLnBsYXllciJd
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since if you are surfing the web while Youtube stays on, you presumably are not watching anything, just listening. So why not get a radio app, and play music or talk. That will run perfectly along with whatever else you do.

The Ipad operating system does not fully multitask.