Tennis Commentators: Who Gets On Your Last Nerve??

wolfpawwolfpaw Posts: 10,639
Forum Member
✭✭
So many to choose from.

David Lloyd: monotonous voice, timid, doesn't ever add anything of interest or insight, a complete suck-up to McEnroe.

Andrew Castle: his face is annoying enough; smug, patronising and crass. One of my most disliked.

McEnroe: sometimes makes good comments but rarely knows when to keep his mouth shut and is happy to completely dominate the commentary box.

Tracy Austin: horrible American drawling accent; often uses highly irritating cadences, prefers to discuss fashion than tennis.

Tim Henman: just totally out of depth.

Sam Smith: used to like her until she spent all of Sharapova's 2nd round match spouting nonsensical crap about how Sharapova was a 'contender' for this year's championship.

Barry Davies: perhaps the most banal and ridiculous of them all e.g. camera shows the time on the score board: 5.57pm cue Barry Davies 'and the time's just coming up to six o'clock'; master of the art of 'saying what you see' and stating the bloody obvious at every opportunity.

Virigina Wage: talks, and looks, as though she's got a nasty smell under her nose. Her voice alone is enough to make me want to smash the TV.

Presenter:

John Inverdale: one question springs to mind: why? Just WHY?

Sue Barker: blatantly and embarrassingly biased towards any plucky British 'hopeful', including Murray and Henman, and breath-takingly crawling when interviewing Federer. Her expression is one of someone suffering from perpetual constipation.

Any other comments to add?

:)

You'd think by now they could arrange it so that the commentary came as a separate feed enabling the viewer to turn it off while retaining the on-court sound. :(

Comments

• ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    One of them certainly does but I have no idea who he is, sorry :p

I've heard him come out with some real garbage, not to mention consistantly being wrong about things, being patronising and even throwing in the odd few sexual inuendos, though I don't know if he realises until after he's said it :D
  • wolfpawwolfpaw Posts: 10,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    One of them certainly does but I have no idea who he is, sorry :p

I've heard him come out with some real garbage, not to mention consistantly being wrong about things, being patronising and even throwing in the odd few sexual inuendos, though I don't know if he realises until after he's said it :D

Sounds awful :( Maybe it was Andrew Castle.

Chris Bailey is ok as far as it goes, and I always liked Annabelle Croft as a commentator but I think she's absent this year.
    Forum Member
    wolfpaw wrote: »
    Sounds awful :( Maybe it was Andrew Castle.

Chris Bailey is ok as far as it goes, and I always liked Annabelle Croft as a commentator but I think she's absent this year.

Rusedski isn't bad imo either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Rusedski isn't bad imo either.

Maybe he talks a little too much but he's certainly more bearable than most of the others :)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never liked John Barrett but he seems to have been pensioned off.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always liked Annabelle Croft as a commentator but I think she's absent this year.

Isn't she living on the streets or something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »

Yeah, he's retired, thank god!
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    Only one that annoys me is Virginia Wade. I think all the others are good, especially Tracy Austin who is very knowledgable.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Virgina Wade.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many to choose from.

David Lloyd: monotonous voice, timid, doesn't ever add anything of interest or insight, a complete suck-up to McEnroe.

Andrew Castle: his face is annoying enough; smug, patronising and crass. One of my most disliked.

McEnroe: sometimes makes good comments but rarely knows when to keep his mouth shut and is happy to completely dominate the commentary box.

Tracy Austin: horrible American drawling accent; often uses highly irritating cadences, prefers to discuss fashion than tennis.

Tim Henman: just totally out of depth.

Sam Smith: used to like her until she spent all of Sharapova's 2nd round match spouting nonsensical crap about how Sharapova was a 'contender' for this year's championship.

Barry Davies: perhaps the most banal and ridiculous of them all e.g. camera shows the time on the score board: 5.57pm cue Barry Davies 'and the time's just coming up to six o'clock'; master of the art of 'saying what you see' and stating the bloody obvious at every opportunity.

Virigina Wage: talks, and looks, as though she's got a nasty smell under her nose. Her voice alone is enough to make me want to smash the TV.

Presenter:

John Inverdale: one question springs to mind: why? Just WHY?

Sue Barker: blatantly and embarrassingly biased towards any plucky British 'hopeful', including Murray and Henman, and breath-takingly crawling when interviewing Federer. Her expression is one of someone suffering from perpetual constipation.

Any other comments to add?

:)

You'd think by now they could arrange it so that the commentary came as a separate feed enabling the viewer to turn it off while retaining the on-court sound. :(

What about his brother John ? The one who IS the TV commentator
    Forum Member
    I watched a game the other day where one of the commentators said something like "Well it was well long, no point in a challenge", then it showed halk-eye and it was in! Duh! :D

The guy I don't like also has an annoying habit of talking about games as if they've finished, when they're still playing.

He'll say things like; "Do you think she'll find it tough against Serena in the next round?", when the game hasn't even finished yet!

Granted, the player he's talking about will be ahead, but things can turn around. Must be annoying for fans of the player having to hear that from the commentator when they're still hoping he/she can turn it around.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    Andrew Castle is smug; there's just something about his demeanour that is just not pleasant. I remember when Andy Murray first came on the scene Castle referred to Andy as 'Andrew.' :rolleyes:

Also isn't it Virginia Wade ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lol, you're right. My bad :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Andrew Castle is smug; there's just something about his demeanour that is just not pleasant. I remember when Andy Murray first came on the scene Castle referred to Andy as 'Andrew.' :rolleyes:

He just did that! It annoys me no end, nearly as much as Mark Petchey trying to wangle in how him and Andy are best mates (yeah right!) at every chance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Isn't she living on the streets or something?

Or presenting on Eurosport. The two are sometimes easily confused.
  • Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew Castle, Frew Macmillan, Barry Cowan and Chris Bailey are all awful. Tracy Austin and Wade are both irritating at times as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :( I adored him. He retired a few years ago, but has written a wonderful book on the history of Wimbledon.

My all time hates are Frew McMillan and Andrew Castle.

Second tier is Pat Cash, Sam Smith, and Mats Wilander.

I am finally warming to the Cowan. He's grown on me though I think I need hospilisation to get over admitting that.

All time loves are Pete Fleming, Jonny Mac and Chris Bailey.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

^^^

That one.

His bias is unbelievable - I still can't get over his 'commentary' re. the Murray v Gasquet match last year :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew Castle, Frew Macmillan, Barry Cowan and Chris Bailey are all awful. Tracy Austin and Wade are both irritating at times as well.

Tracy Austin has this irritating little 'tick'. If someone misses a shot, usually after a longish rally, she'll let out this little exclamatory 'hmph!' sound. Once you notice it it really starts to generate feelings of violence.

Wade is doing my nut in at the moment on Centre Court. Her commentary is bad enough but it's spoken in such a drawling, snobbish, grating voice. :mad:
  • lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no fan of Anndrew Castle or Tracey Austin.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew Castle, for all the reasons already mentioned - patronising, smug, po-faced know-all.

John Lloyd - pompous, monotonous and prone to stating the blindin' obvious.

Tim Henman - a squeaky-voiced lightweight in every sense of the word.

Virginia Wade - a voice like nails down a blackboard. She was commentating on a match the other night and was making all manner of peculiar shrieking noises. I was beginning to think she must have had a few sherbets. Terribly biased as well.

John Inverdale - ridiculously annoying. Comes across as having no clue about tennis whatsoever.

Sue Barker - OK, we get it; you lurve Federer. :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Virginia Wade - a voice like nails down a blackboard. She was commentating on a match the other night and was making all manner of peculiar shrieking noises. I was beginning to think she must have had a few sherbets. Terribly biased as well.

Was that the Robson/Stoop doubles match? If so then I agree (and if not then I still agree, lol). She was just squealing like a stuck pig. She really is the most horrendous know-all.
  • Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    John Inverdale - ridiculously annoying. Comes across as having no clue about tennis whatsoever.

Sue Barker - OK, we get it; you lurve Federer. :yawn:

So true Sloopy. Sue would happily lick the crap from Fed's backside given the chance :p. Crass i know but well it's true :D.

Inverdale is bad but vastly superior to Gary Richardson :mad::mad:, there's no word for just how bad he is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course - Gary Richardson!! :eek::o

I am almost (but not quite) embarrassed for him. His 'interviews' are gut-wrenchingly painful to watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was that the Robson/Stoop doubles match? If so then I agree (and if not then I still agree, lol). She was just squealing like a stuck pig. She really is the most horrendous know-all.

Yes, that was the match. She seriously lost the plot on that one!! :sleep: