excuse for not attending job interview

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
Forum Member
Hi, I need a good excuse for not attending a job interview ... what can I say? :confused:

Comments

• ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Say you have the shits and can't stop going to the bog.

Why don't you want to go?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trots is good, they can't really argue with that, especially if you throw in a little vomiting to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vader wrote:
    Hi, I need a good excuse for not attending a job interview ... what can I say? :confused:

Stuff cotton wool indise a cheek phone up and say you have an abscess on one of your rear teeth...

Just prey that the guy on the other end is not as much of a b****rd as I am!
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    The trots is good, they can't really argue with that, especially if you throw in a little vomiting to.
    Why do you think I said it? It's unpleasant, likely to make you unfit to go, and not make them want to be with you if it's catching, and also, it's likely to "clear up" within a day or so...

The perfect way to foil a sickie, even if it's becoming slightly unbelievable... that said, I don't skive work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Do you want to reschedule? If so, just call them up and say that something's come up in your current job and is there anyway they could fit you in at a different time as it's going to be really difficult to get away. Then they think you're really concientious as well :D
  • daisyboodaisyboo Posts: 11,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    death of a grand-parent is always good ... my brother has lost about 9 now ... :o
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vader wrote:

How about the truth? Can't be ar$ed, your company's crap, don't get outta bed till 5pm, social phobia, clashes with the day you get your JSA............
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got another job
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I once lost my voice so couldn't go to an interview, no point if you can't speak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,586
    Forum Member
    Here's a crazy idea for you....... how about a polite version of the truth? If you want to retain any credibility at all simply tell them that you have decided the job is not for you and you wouldn't like to waste anyones time.

Believe me. Whoever you are giving your "excuse" to will have heard it all before.... I get particularly tired with people telling me lies about why they can't attend an interview. I've lost count of the number of candidates in the past who have had car accidents, relatives die, lost their mobile phones, been mugged, been ill, fallen down a hole...... :rolleyes:
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell them you are no longer interested in the position.

It's not like you are standing your girlfriend up you know
  • KamiKami Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get someone else to call them and explain that you'd been assaulted whilst helping fix someones car at the side of the road and are now in hospital.

It'd put you in a good light and if you say it was at the side of a road you sound both helpful and knowledgeable.

rather than saying you were drunk at a nightclub and got thumped by some bouncers :P

If you dont want the job just tell them you got another one and had committed to it. They won't take it personally but thank them for the opportunity, no point burning bridges.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd ring them up and tell them you've changed your mind about the job.
    Why bother inventing anything? What's the point?

If it's a case that it's a first interview and they've got ten or twelve interviews scheduled, they know some people aren't going to turn up.
    If it's a second or third round interview tell them you've been offered another job in the meantime and thank them for their time.
  • 10past310past3 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends who the 'excuse' is aimed at. The company? You? Local Job Centre? Whichever, Loma1000's excellent advice is the best. Tell them the truth - that you no longer wish to be considered for the position. Much better than some horse sh!t about relatives dying / being ill / mugged etc, and any of these leave you open to being invited in 'when it's more convenient' so you're still in the same boat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to cancel just ring or email and say that your circumstances have changed and so you are withdrawing your application for the job. You don't need to give specific reasons - if you aren't interested in working for them they won't be interested in all of the hows and whys.

If you want to reschedule I would go for an unavoidable work commitment in your present job - that suggests that you would be reliable if you went to work for them.

If you really don't want the job but the Job Centre or somebody else is pressuring you to go , bite the bullet and go for the interview. You always have the option of interviewing badly so they don't want to employ you!
  • Mr NMr N Posts: 2,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say I just don't want the job.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    As has been said WTF are you making excuses anyway?

I've got a good one, didn't have enough petrol to get to the interview, didn't have enough money to last a month until the wages came if you'd got the position either, so buggerall point in turning up.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know its been said before, but just tell them the truth. Its only a job interview, and its not as if you owe them anything.

If telling the truth is really that hard, then just don't turn up. They'll get the message.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    shazmouse wrote:
    death of a grand-parent is always good ... my brother has lost about 9 now ... :o

PMSL :o:D
  • PIDGASPIDGAS Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kami wrote:
    Get someone else to call them and explain that you'd been assaulted whilst helping fix someones car at the side of the road and are now in hospital.

It'd put you in a good light and if you say it was at the side of a road you sound both helpful and knowledgeable.

Then say you had the trots etc... Oh and just for good measure could add that you had to go to hospital to get your stomach pumped... :rolleyes:

Otherwise the truth would be good. :)
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vader wrote:

So did you find a good excuse?