BBC Olympics - 24 Live HD Streams on Cable & Satellite

Comments

• StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    Where have Sky suddenly found 24 SD EPG slots? Haven't they been telling broadcasters for years there aren't any SD EPG slots left?

They might be switch off some of the Sky Movies screens for the period? Who knows.

It's not the problem there are "none left" it's more a memory/RAM limitation on ancient Sky boxes. Why can't Sky replace them if there are active subscribers using them I don't know :rolleyes:
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StevenNT wrote: »
    It will be on the BBC Sport website as well so those of us who can't or won't have Satellite or Cable can still see the feeds.

So it's not "galling" as you put it.

You need a fairly decent BB speed to get streaming HD. My 3mb struggles with SD.

...and I need to pay an extra 20 quid a month to get more than 10gb per month.
  • wirelesswonderwirelesswonder Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    This is dreadful. I can't stand sport and it's going to be everywhere!

What's entertaining about watching people running round and round in circles?

I don't get it. It'll be a nightmare trying to find out what channel and time Eastenders is on.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member

I don't get it. It'll be a nightmare trying to find out what channel and time Eastenders is on.
    It's going to be on BBC 2 during the Olympics.
    Ian.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apart from BBC One it's mostly going to be in the sports section of the EPG, so it shouldn't trouble you!!
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,535
    Forum Member
    It'll be a nightmare trying to find out what channel and time Eastenders is on.

I wouldn't bother watching, it will just be half an hour of the characters sitting in their living rooms watching the event on tv :D.
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother watching, it will just be half an hour of the characters sitting in their living rooms watching the event on tv :D.

Bravo Sir.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Apart from BBC One it's mostly going to be in the sports section of the EPG, so it shouldn't trouble you!!
    It's also going to be on non-stop with coverage on BBC3, and that channel will have extended hours for the duration of the Olympics, with it broadcasting the Olympics all day long as well as the evening.
    Ian.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so glad I don't watch T. V and now not paying the BBc for showing this rubbish.

24/7 of Olympics on almost every channel. Radio will be out as well, thank goodness for netflix and DVDs
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    What about those of us who only want to watch a daily half hour highlights show with an hour on the few days when the really good events are on?
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    What about those of us who only want to watch a daily half hour highlights show with an hour on the few days when the really good events are on?
    Half an hour is no where near enough to cover the main events of any particular day without being a clips show.

Your best bet is likely to after the 10 O'Clock news on BBC 1.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO, BBC 2 should be a wall to wall olympics station. BBC 1 should stay as normal, but with a daily highlights show 9-10pm. During this hour, BBC 2 could offer alternative programing

Anyway, remember you can avoid the olympics entirley by watching ITV, Ch 4 or Five, or any of their sub-channels........
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I am so glad I don't watch T. V and now not paying the BBc for showing this rubbish.
    I guess that it's only rubbish because you don't like it.
    24/7 of Olympics on almost every channel. Radio will be out as well, thank goodness for netflix and DVDs
    Except that it won't be 24x7, and neither will it be on every channel.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    Half an hour is no where near enough to cover the main events of any particular day without being a clips show.
    It is if they limit the waffle and cut to the chase. There will only be two or three big events climaxing on any given day. Those of us who do not intend to be couch potatoes for the duration and actually prefer to get off our arses to pursue our own sports and activities deserve some consideration too from the programme planners.
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    It is if they limit the waffle and cut to the chase. There will only be two or three big events climaxing on any given day. Those of us who do not intend to be couch potatoes for the duration and actually prefer to get off our arses to pursue our own sports and activities deserve some consideration too from the programme planners.
    PVR / iPlayer it and create your own highlights programme?

And a lot of people who'll want in depth coverage (live and highlights) are very involved in sports and other activities. They want to hear the stories and news around the action itself.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Will be a variety of highlights packages avaliable online I imagine.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boatman wrote: »
    ... and will they be available free via Freesat?

From the bbc article:

Mr Mosey said the BBC had agreed with Sky and [highlight]Freesat[/highlight] to show the live streams across 24 channels, with more announcements from other providers expected soon.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they not carring it on the V+HD?, is there a technical reason?

That's annoying but I've been looking for an excuse to justify upgrading from the V+HD box to Tivo - so it looks like I've found one.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good move from all parties that will ensure some of the niche events gain greater exposure.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    A good move from all parties that will ensure some of the niche events gain greater exposure.

And should stop all of the arguments about some sports not getting any coverage.

Since the BBC, as host broadcaster, is producing these streams for everywhere else in the world I don't see what the problem is providing them to the UK. Nobody is forcing you to watch the Olympics around the clock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they not carring it on the V+HD?, is there a technical reason?

The article is somewhat confusing. It maybe that the bit that's limited to the tivo is the app they will roll out to support red button / non epg content
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    ... some of the niche events gain greater exposure.

Have they reversed the decision about changing the dress code for beach volleyball then? :D
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Since the BBC, as host broadcaster, is producing these streams for everywhere else in the world .
    OBS are the host broadcaster http://www.obs.es/obslondon2012.html -
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure you'll cope.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

Yeah I think the BBC should only show what you want.

Besides, will there really be Olympics on EVERY channel and EVERY radio station? I think not.