Picture blanking out intermiitently

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
Forum Member
I've got my Sky HD feeding a Sony Bravia S40A12 through HDMI. Last night I noticed that every once in a while, the screen went blank (with the screen showing no input) and then reappears about 2 seconds later.
Anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Mark

I have the same TV and the same problem, although it has only done it twice - once when I was FF through a program and secondly when it was sitting in the TV Guide. Will monitor situation tonight and post tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Sounds like your connection from box to TV is loose mate. remove it both ends and re-conect.
  • neo6776neo6776 Posts: 9,533
    Forum Member
    HD_ready wrote:
    Sounds like your connection from box to TV is loose mate. remove it both ends and re-conect.

Very doubtful on 2 seperate sets.
    Forum Member
    Just did it for no reason there. Wife said it was doing it all day randomly. Going to keep a log of how often.

Picture goes black for a few seconds and then the TV show the mode 1080i/50 information and then the picture comes back.

Looks like we have an incompatibility between Sky HD and the Bravia KDL-S40A12.

I don't have any other HDMI devices to try and narrow down where the problem lies. Fingers crossed it is a Sky HD problem and can be fixed through a software update.

Could it be something to do with HDCP?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Reported it to Sky. He said someone has reported a similar fault.

They said try reconnecting the cable (reversing it).
    Did that. Still does the same (exactly the same problem as your's).

Recommended then changing the setting to 720p and see how it goes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Sony bravia's only do this when set to 1080i - set the output on the hidef box to 720p.

E.
    Forum Member
    Cam I ask, how do you know this? Is this from Sony, Sky, or your own testing? I assume it is a problem with the TV (rather than the HD box)? Can it be corrected by Sony? I think the Sony gives slightly better picture quality with 1080i, so I'd prefer to keep it at that setting if I can.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    My Sony goes blank for a split second when I change channel, guess this could be the same with all HD boxes.

I seem to be having problems getting my colour to look right - the reds don't seem right.

Anyone noticed this ?
    Forum Member
    Sony bravia's only do this when set to 1080i - set the output on the hidef box to 720p.

E.

It happens in the middle of watching something. It is not as if it is when the resolution is changed when changing channels.

Something is not right.

Picture is definitely sharper when set to 1080i. I would be relunctant to have to use it on 720p.

In what situation have you seen a Sony Bravia doing this talisman?

Thanks
  • digigriffindigigriffin Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MY Sony Bravia KDL-26S2010 was doing this with my Sky+ so it may not even by SkyHD specific.

I would be watching something and the screen would go black for a couple of seconds and then come back and the on sceen input info would display as if it had just started receiving a signal.

I put this down to cabling as it was intermittent.
    Nothing felt loose but I unplugged/plugged everything and it seems to have stopped happening.

At least I think it has :confused:
    Forum Member
    Exactly the same problem here. You may be watching anything, and the screen goes blank and you get the top-left information (1080i etc) as if there is no signal connected. Then, it comes back.

The key challenge is finding a fix. While the component outputs looks identical to my eyes, it is not guaranteed in the long-term.

We'll have to band together to get this sorted!
    Forum Member
    It only happens with HDMI. I don't believe that it's the cable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Mark200

Not sure if this helps you, but here goes anyway

I have a Sony KDE-P42XS1 plasma currently connected to a regular Sky SD box via a Panasonic DMR-E85H DVDR.

The DVDR has both SCART and Component outputs; the latter allow you to run progressive scan (576p) or interlaced (576i).

If I connect the DVDR to the set via SCART then I get absolutely no problems.

If I connect via component connections (either progressive or interlaced) the picture quality is much better, but I get EXACTLY the same issue as you; totally random but frequent loss of picture for about a second (black screen) but also a message "out of range" at the top left of the screen. Then the picture reappears as if nothing was wrong. This also occurs when watching DVD's (therefore no feed from the Sky box), so this would suggest it's not a Sky box compatibility issue

I've tried every connection combination possible and cannot overcome this issue.

Having read your post, I'm now beginning to wonder if Sony have a real problem handling anything but SCART inputs. If you get anywhere with resolving this I'd love to know what fixes it.
    Forum Member
    Guys, this is a specific problem with the HDMI connection only. Another person had said the problem doesn't happen on component. Why buy an HD Ready TV (HDMI/HDCP) and not be able to use it? I have had the Bravia for 3 months now using in conjunction with a SKY+ box connected by scart and a DVD player using component and there have been no issues like this whatsoever.

Mark - we will band together and force a resolution.
    Forum Member
    Just reported the problem to Sony. They said they had no heard for problem from anyone else, so if you have the problem PLEASE report it now.
    Telephone (0870) 601 0123

Annoyingly, they referred me to a (relatively) local service agent.
    They said I would have to bring the TV in to them, or they charge for coming out to look. This isn't looking good, and I don't want the TV going off for several weeks for "repair". Aaarrrrggghhh.

Well, if this is what you get with a brand new Sony, I'm contemplating cancelling my order for an X series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    My S-series Bravia does this with an HDMI connection from my Samsung DVD-HD850, screen goes blank for a second at random times when set at 1080.

It's turning out to be an S series fault (there is a thread at AVforums)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Just to add to this info, I have a Sony KDE-P37XS1 plasma, and a Sony RDR-GX300.

For a long time I have put up with this ocasional blank screening when watching DVD's via the component connection.

Now I have Sky HD and are getting the same problem; i've noticed it when the screen is in 576 and 1080 modes so far; not really tried 720p for any length of time.

Would like to get a resolution, but I'm not hopeful.

Reminds me of an issue I had on my previous Sony CRT Television. It would turn itself off and on about once or twice a week - when I contacted Sony they said it was a known fault and would sort itself out after a few months. Needless to say, it never did, and I never got round to getting it fixed!

Doh! So now I have another buggy Sony screen.

I will ring up Sony on Monday in any case and see what they say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    I have noticed this too, but only on live broadcasts - not recorded Sky+ shows. Seems unlikely to be the cable/connection if this is the case.
    Edit: Just remembered that when I first got the tv, it did this on the freeview channels. However, it stopped after a while. Could it be the tv pairing with devices or something like that?
  • Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get this on the VCR, not Sky+ or Sky HD. It often happens with the same part of a video, but it definitely isn't the video because the channel name etc. comes back after it comes back from blackness. I don't think it's cabling because they were all connected tightly during HD installation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    I just had this on a recording! Didnt do it at all yesterday. As I said, it did this on digital tv when I first installed the television but doesnt do it on digital terrestrial at all now. Maybe the tv needs to pair with the input source.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I too have Sky HD feeding a Sony Bravia S40A12, and yes I get a blank screen for about a second every couple of hours - very annoying and really does look like a Sony problem and the HDMI connection. The "brilliant" sky installer left my tv connected via scart and I had no problem until I connected the HDMI lead. Will be contacting Sony tomorrow but don't hold much hope a getting any satisfaction from them by the sound of previous posts. Please let us know if anyone gets a fix for this problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Mark200 wrote:
    It only happens with HDMI. I don't believe that it's the cable.

I'm on Component
    and I'm afraid this little 'Feature' is also happening with mine.....(and another forum member with the same panel)...shame as bar this i am very happy with HD and everything :) but once or twice an evening....this niggling 'feature' happens....just happened while looking at epg...., i can't be sure i can blame hd, as sky + used to connect to AV3 scart..... and i had no trouble then....but if it was component....Maybee....:confused:

I'm set at 1080i on the HD box as auto is appaling...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    For what it's worth, I had this problem over the weekend with my Sky HD box , which is conncted via HDMI to a Samsung WS32Z409T.

I was in the planner at the time and got a blue screen with an error message saying that there was no HDMI input. I turned the power off on the Sky box and when I powered back up it was fine. Obviously I'm hoping that this was a one-off!

Joe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Never happened on my Sony S50...