This forum doesn't like going backwards.

Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
Forum Member
✭✭
The back button doesn't work for me.I'm using Chrome.

When I click back it just refreshes instead....

Comments

• user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The back button doesn't work for me.I'm using Chrome.

When I click back it just refreshes instead....

I use the back button all the time if Firefox as I have one of my mouse thumb buttons allocated to this task, I have no problems.

I have just tried chrome 24 and this is also fine.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fine on other sites, it's just this forum it doesn't work for me.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fine on other sites, it's just this forum it doesn't work for me.

Might be because I'm using ABP to remove the ads, they could be affecting the back button :(
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Might be because I'm using APB to remove the ads, they could be affecting the back button :(

Or it might be ABP ?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simple, don't block ads unless you have to and support the site and the way it's funded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not know about that. Strange, i don't have this problem on my desktop on DS and i'm still using Chrome with ABP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Simple, don't block ads unless you have to and support the site and the way it's funded.

Behave.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Install a decent browser like Internet Exploer 9.

3, 2, 1.............................

:D
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Behave.

Fair point I made that comment before I saw yet again more intrusive ads causing an issue for forum users.

My silly suggestion.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

Not until they pry ABP from my cold, dead hands.:)
  • plugs13ampplugs13amp Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    I've had the same problem since early November last year (2012). Anything from one, to a raft of references to the same page appear on the "back" button. If you click the "back" button then another tranche of references get added. This is with Chrome browser (recently v24.0.1312.56m, and as of the last few minutes, 57m, and its still a problem) on a laptop running Vista (all service packs and updates) and AdBlock Plus.

It's not every page and its not every site, the problem is mostly with DS, but I have seen it on other sites as well, most notably Yahoo News. I can't see any common denominator.

After much searching of the internet I came across only two references to it, one on this forum entitled; DS Homepage Problem, and this links to a further reference on the AdBlock Forum

For me, when I removed AdBlock Plus the problem seemed to dissappear. But I didn't do extensive testing as I quickly learned to use the Forum Jump button at the bottom of a thread, and re-installed AdBlock Plus. It is a bit more of a pain on Yahoo News.

Neither thread has been updated since early November, and neither offers any real explanation or solution.

I see the link provided by LION8TIGER does offer a possible solution, I hadn't seen that thread before
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the same problem. I thought it was just my computer.
    Forum Member
    From very very brief testing, just a few minutes, switching to AdBlock, instead of AdBlock Plus as proposed in the thread linked in LION8TIGER's post, does seem to have resolved the problem.

I'll report back in a day or two, fingers crossed.....
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use this browser
    www.palemoon.org
    No problems with the back button on DS
    The browser starts fast & loads pages very quickly
    It does not update very often unlike some other browsers
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i find so many ads on the site these days that it repeatdly crashes, especially in ie.

chrome seems to work ok and certainly for "advanced replies" which i can't do in ie 8,9 or 10
  • morskimorski Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I get this on SRware Iron if I use the adblock.ini file to block ads. Seems to be fine if I use the Adblock extension though on Chrome.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads !!! What ads
    Adblock Plus works for me ,here on DS & elsewhere
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only time I've heard of this happening before was when a friend of mine had a key-logger installed on her laptop by her ex-boyfriend. Might be something to look into. A lot of them don't register on anti-virus programs because they're custom-made but you can look for odd processes running in task manager.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fine in Firefox not in Chrome. I suspect this is a Chrome/Adblock Plus issue.
    Forum Member
    Well no problems to report so far after switching to AdBlock, and it appears to work just as effectively as ABP.

Just to be clear, there is AdBlock without the Plus, written by Michael Gundlach, and there is AdBlock Plus written by Vladimir Palant.

It is the latter, AdBlock Plus, that some users report causes multiple references to the same page to appear on the "back" button in Chrome and some of its derivatives when clicking on some pages of some sites on some computers (both Windows and Linux). No-one seems to have nailed it down to any more than that other than a suggestion that the number of references that get dumped onto the "back" button is related to the number of ads on the page.

Now if I could fix AdBlock Plus on Chrome on my android tablet, where it prevents some DS pages being displayed at all (if I uninstall it they display normally).... thinks.... I wonder if they're the same pages that cause the "back" button problem on the Windows box....