Is Talk Talk Broadband any good?

crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apologies if there are any other similar threads but can't see any. We have just 2 months left under Broadband contract with BT. Just had a letter from Talk Talk offering free Broadband when we move our phone service to them for £10.50 a month. Sounds a bit too good to be true to me as we're paying £12.62 a month for BT phone, with free local and national calls after 6pm and weekends PLUS £17 a month for Option 2 BT Broadband. Talk Talk would be free weekend and evening calls too.

Had a bad experience with Orange Broadband constantly disconnecting but BT has been fine and rarely goes off. Is Talk Talk reliable and what about their customer service? Found BT to be great but costly. Thanks.

Comments

• JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Ask BT for a Migration Code. If you get through to the Newcastle centre he will ask you why and is price a reason? When you say yes he will offer it at £12.99 a month if you sign up for a year. At least, this happened to me. I had previously written to them that I just wanted plain broadband without all their bells and whistles and could they not drop the price. This snooty woman rang from the "Chairman's Office" and said "No, no, no - we have our tariff and that's that". Thus I pay more than Talktalk, but not a lot. There are advantages to staying with BT should you have line problems.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, as said, at least you are dealing with BT for both ADSL and the telephone line.

Friends have TalkTalk and they seem to have improved over the months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only speak from personal experience, but so far things have been pretty good.

For an extra £8 per month they give you "up to 24mb" broadband and an 80GB limit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been with them since they started "free" broadband, and apart from inital problems regarding when they were going to activate it (but still charged the full price as the broadband was free) and being put on a 2mb line (all problems with overwhelming demand at the time) it has been perfectly fine.

I'm also sure I've gone over the 40gb cap on a couple of occasions and nothing happened. They might start inforcing it now they are charging £4 for an extra 40GB now though.
  • iniltousiniltous Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies if there are any other similar threads but can't see any. We have just 2 months left under Broadband contract with BT. Just had a letter from Talk Talk offering free Broadband when we move our phone service to them for £10.50 a month. Sounds a bit too good to be true to me as we're paying £12.62 a month for BT phone, with free local and national calls after 6pm and weekends PLUS £17 a month for Option 2 BT Broadband. Talk Talk would be free weekend and evening calls too.

Had a bad experience with Orange Broadband constantly disconnecting but BT has been fine and rarely goes off. Is Talk Talk reliable and what about their customer service? Found BT to be great but costly. Thanks.

talk talk line rental is the same as bt's but i thought you had to take a calls package to get the 'free' broadband so wont talk talk be £10.50+ £6.49 (or whatever the call plan costs), still cheaper than bt, but for some calls not included on the call plan (0845,0870 etc) I think TT are more expensive than BT.
    If you call BT they may offer you a cheaper deal on your BB. better the devil you know.
  • Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people have no problems, many people however have a nightmare with them and their support is dreadful.

I was with them, managed to get out without penalty after 3 months of useless service, well known to be ropey. They used to have a news-server too, but they couldn't be bothered to fix it after it kept failing - still at least there are free news-servers around or a good one for €10 per year.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got Windows Me, (OK, somebody has to), and TT say they don't support it. I (just about) got connected despite that, tho'. I was also told that I could use my existing Belkin router, but after I went live, I was told I couldn't. (I probably could've but I'm not savvy enough to configure it manually :o )

Caller Identity just doesn't work, and the Call Centre in a distant land isn't, IMHO, much help.

I'll go back to BT, I think: most of the time, it's just not worth changing - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't support Windows ME, doesn't mean you can't use Windows ME or previous, or a Commodore Amiga, or PC running Linux etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Since joining TalkTalk last June, iv'e had no problems with their broadband what so ever. My speed has also doubled over Orange's rubbish service as well. They also have a fantastic TT staffed forum just in case anything goes wrong (much better than their Indian call centre.)

I would say go for it. I only wished i moved to them months earlier.
  • chappiechappie Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    been with them 2-3 years, £21 p/m includes all line rental & broadband, most calls are free , includes overseas calls (59 minutes) but calls to mobiles & premium Nos extra,
    suits me as I don't download music games etc ,just use for E bay & E mail,
  • blueacidblueacid Posts: 2,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't support Windows ME, doesn't mean you can't use Windows ME or previous, or a Commodore Amiga, or PC running Linux etc.

Yup - the fact they don't support it merely means that you'll not be able to expect support if the computer has trouble getting connected.

If the computer has a network port on it, and you plan to run a wire to the router, then you should be alright!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I phoned Talktalk yesterday and asked them what speed would I get if i joined them.They told me upto 4.3mbs.With BT at the moment and getting a sync speed of 7616mb and a profile of 6500mb.Why would I get a slower speed when I would be going on TalkTalk's LLU system?.I know I would save a fair bit of money by going with them but the slower speeds are putting me off the idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rizla15 wrote: »
    I phoned Talktalk yesterday and asked them what speed would I get if i joined them.They told me upto 4.3mbs.With BT at the moment and getting a sync speed of 7616mb and a profile of 6500mb.Why would I get a slower speed when I would be going on TalkTalk's LLU system?.I know I would save a fair bit of money by going with them but the slower speeds are putting me off the idea.

They can only make estimated guesses. They look at the length of your line, any details about your line available (such as if it's got any aluminium bits of cable in it - that would be bad for speed), and guesstimate from that.

... it's around an exact a science as a 17th century witch hunt. If you know that your phone line is a good one (as evidenced by a higher broadband speed), then you should get similar speeds. You sync at 7616kbit per second, so it follows that your phone line will be pretty short and high quality, therefore you should see similar speeds with Talktalk.

THAT SAID: Listen to other people's comments about how Talktalk performs. There are two main things that could slow down broadband; a slow connection to the exchange (you don't have one of those!), and also an ISP whose network is oversubscribed and therefore sluggish. I haven't got talktalk so am unable to comment, however going on what people here say, it seems that you're fine there. Tiscali on the other hand, you might have an 8mbit connection to the exchange, but in the evenings Tiscali might not even be able to send 0.5mbit your way across their creaking and struggling network.
  • cloudy80cloudy80 Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    its da same as aol one of the slowest broadband best to go for cable
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Talk Talk would be free weekend and evening calls too.

Is Talk Talk reliable and what about their customer service?

If you take their phone line you get free national and international (36 countries) calls 24/7. I've been with them over the 18 months contract and the broadband has gone twice for a day and also lost the phone line on one of those occasions. Speed is good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cloudy80 wrote: »
    its da same as aol one of the slowest broadband best to go for cable

..why cable?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueacid wrote: »
    ..why cable?

If you are in a cable area, then with the choice of ADSL or cable, cable easily wins.

Though if all you are after is a very cheap connection and not worried about reliability then maybe ADSL and a company like TalkTalk or Tiscali are for you.

With cable you don't have to worry about the distance affecting your speed.