New Router - Can't Get it to Work

I've bought a new router and just tried to set it up but I can't get it to work. It's a TP-Link one (TP-Link N).

I tried to follow the instructions, though they were a bit confusing as the quick-start guide says to plug it in, switch it on etc., then insert the disc and install, but the router itself had a sticker over the LAN ports which said I needed to use the disc first.

I plugged it in as per the instructions (before the disc) and luckily all the cables etc. are the same as my old router so it seemed fairly straight-forward. But obviously it wasn't, and I couldn't continue with the rest of the installation because the WAN light wasn't on, and according to the setup though the router's IP, the ethernet/WAN cable isn't plugged in.
It is plugged in, and I know it works because I'm using it now with my old router.

I've tried looking on the TP-Link website for help but none of it makes any sense. :confused:

Comments

• 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need some questions answering

Did you buy it from a shop or did youre broadband supplier send it?

What is exact model number of new router (it may be a modem\router)?

if its for broadband, who is youre supplier?

What was wrong with the old one?
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Plug all the cables in and type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and hit enter. If a box comes up asking for username and password, use admin for both and click ok.
    If you get that far look for set up in the router's menu, enter your username and password which are supplied by your provider.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a thought randomly tossed into the pot...

I will assume that the old router is an ADSL modem/router. Now is it possible that the new one is a cable router, ie does not have a modem built in. The RJ11 cable from the phone line to the router will physically mate with the RJ45 ethernet socket that a cable router has on it's WAN port. But obviously won't work.

And it will also probably knock out the phone line as well. So if you pick up the phone with the new router plugged up and there is no dial tone and the dial tone returns when the router is unplugged from the line then that might mean it's the wrong type of router.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The actual model number of the router would help!

As above, it could be a cable router or just a wireless access point.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies.
    1saintly wrote: »
    Need some questions answering

Did you buy it from a shop or did youre broadband supplier send it?

What is exact model number of new router (it may be a modem\router)?

if its for broadband, who is youre supplier?

What was wrong with the old one?

I bought it from Amazon.

Model number: TL-WR841N / TL-WR841ND

Broadband: Talk Talk

The old one has been problematic since I bought it several years ago, but has recently started to get worse. Computers/devices connected to it get disconnected for no reason and sometimes can't connect at all, despite the lights being on and other devices working OK (for example, my laptop will be connected fine but an iPad or iPod will be disconnected or can't connect).
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Plug all the cables in and type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and hit enter. If a box comes up asking for username and password, use admin for both and click ok.
    If you get that far look for set up in the router's menu, enter your username and password which are supplied by your provider.

I've just tried that but when I click 'Connect' in the menu it doesn't.

chrisjr wrote: »
    Here's a thought randomly tossed into the pot...

I will assume that the old router is an ADSL modem/router. Now is it possible that the new one is a cable router, ie does not have a modem built in. The RJ11 cable from the phone line to the router will physically mate with the RJ45 ethernet socket that a cable router has on it's WAN port. But obviously won't work.

And it will also probably knock out the phone line as well. So if you pick up the phone with the new router plugged up and there is no dial tone and the dial tone returns when the router is unplugged from the line then that might mean it's the wrong type of router.

My old router is a Netgear one which I bought from Currys (or Comet) a few years ago. I don't have a modem.

The phone line is fine when I plug the new one in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies.

I bought it from Amazon.

Model number: TL-WR841N / TL-WR841ND

Broadband: Talk Talk

The old one has been problematic since I bought it several years ago, but has recently started to get worse. Computers/devices connected to it get disconnected for no reason and sometimes can't connect at all, despite the lights being on and other devices working OK (for example, my laptop will be connected fine but an iPad or iPod will be disconnected or can't connect).

I've just tried that but when I click 'Connect' in the menu it doesn't.

My old router is a Netgear one which I bought from Currys (or Comet) a few years ago. I don't have a modem.

The phone line is fine when I plug the new one in.
    If the Netgear router plugs directly into the phone line to connect to a broadband service then it does have a modem, it would not work otherwise.

Which is why the TP-Link unit does not work. It does not have a modem. It is a cable router designed to be connected to an external modem or cable broadband box.

So basically you have purchased the wrong item to replace the Netgear.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Lol, I'm so stupid.

Thanks for your help. I take it I need to buy a modem router instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, I'm so stupid.

Thanks for your help. I take it I need to buy a modem router instead.
    Yes.

Though it could also be described as an ADSL router. Most routers that are designed to plug into external modems are described as Cable routers. Though they can be used with other types of service than cable broadband (or indeed no broadband at all!).