Jessie J leaving the UK

2»

Comments

• Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    RussJ wrote: »
    Jessie is reportedly off to try and crack America, but why? Why do British artist feel the need to always rushing off to the US after making their name in Britain? Most of them come back having failed, so is it really worth it?

If this story is true, I wish her well, but I can't help but feel she will be added to the failed list.

:confused:

She's already succeeded in cracking the US. Price Tag was in the 100 biggest songs of 2010 there, and Domino was in the 100 biggest songs of 2011. She's done well for herself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many wonderful people in this thread...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    This story is stupid.

Jessie has been working back and forward in the US and the UK since around 2008. She has two platinum singles in the US: Price Tag and Domino, it's just her album sales that haven't been too good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    She'll be back the year later with her tail between her legs. Trying to win back the UK audience after losing them from spending too much time over there

Do you not understand the concept of artists having to leave their home country to promote and tour to generate revenue for the label?

It's not about abandoning the UK, she's already been successful in the US.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The US isn't short of its own pop divas. She got lucky with a couple of songs on the first album but it won't happen again with this material.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    The problem is the songs, Price Tag was a fantastic song, Domino was the musical embodiment of the middle of the road, mid-tempo songs that commercial stations like Capital play...so no wonder it was the most played song on radio last year.

the new singles just aren't of the same quality, Its My Party in particular just sounds like a song Pink turned down!

I liked Price Tag for a while but I eventually became bored of it. I can't warm to Jessie's voice at all and that screeching thing she does is awful. Domino was massively overplayed. I just listened to the previews of the new album and I can't say it wowed me. It didn't sound much different from her first album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B_C1 wrote: »
    This story is stupid.

Jessie has been working back and forward in the US and the UK since around 2008. She has two platinum singles in the US: Price Tag and Domino, it's just her album sales that haven't been too good.

Makes sense, though. She released the album here after price tag was released and didnt have another single here till Domino and then that was it.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    Well, it worked for Sheena Easton, and I sincerely hope she follows in her footsteps.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    If she works from there, like Gaga, Taylor and many others do she can be more successful. People don't seem to understand the amount of time it takes to get a hit there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I think people are taking this too far. On one hand, so what? She travels most of the time anyway. Why is it that people only ever get upset if it is the US that UK artists go to in order to break there? In a normal situation, it takes a very long time to break there.

On another hand, she has a European tour being planned for late next year so I doubt she will be in the US for more than 8 months tops. She has a tour with Robin Thicke ending in March and then will probably promo her album. She can't do that from the UK, so why so pressed?

Lastly, the internet as made the world so small now that who cares where on the planet she is when it comes to having access to her music if you really want it.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    I think people are taking this too far. On one hand, so what? She travels most of the time anyway. Why is it that people only ever get upset if it is the US that UK artists go to in order to break there? In a normal situation, it takes a very long time to break there.

On another hand, she has a European tour being planned for late next year so I doubt she will be in the US for more than 8 months tops. She has a tour with Robin Thicke ending in March and then will probably promo her album. She can't do that from the UK, so why so pressed?

Lastly, the internet as made the world so small now that who cares where on the planet she is when it comes to having access to her music if you really want it.

Exactly. Radio made her debut era :rolleyes: Not her being in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stay away. She is not well liked here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stay away. She is not well liked here.

all the sold out nights on her arena tour so far tell a different story.
  • confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it worked for Sheena Easton, and I sincerely hope she follows in her footsteps.

^^^^this :D
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D I keep thinking of Jessie as 'the Sheena Easton of the decade'. Oh god no! I'm envisioning a Bond theme with Jessie J straddling a Bond gun in the opening titles! NIGHTMARE!!!

She's hard working but there's summat hard faced about her. I'm so tired of the endless 'positivity' blurbs she makes. Shes been over-saturated here. Go jessie! Go be happy stateside.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    She needs to do more in her own country and Europe first, her second album has really disappointed to the point where it may be considered a flop soon, Leona Lewis has a hit in the US, her career has taken a nosedive recently. Jessie J has really gone off the boil though not a fan of her personally.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,201
    Forum Member
    Where's a "Bye B**ch" gif when you need one!
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a big fan of Jessie but I agree OP. It feels like such a slap in the face to the UK fans when an artist buggers off to the US without so much as a second look. I also think the obsession with wanting to crack America is pure greed sometimes - what's so bad about being successful in just your own country? It's like artists look down their noses at their homegrown success sometimes.

It's also really frustrating when someone you support gives ALL their attention to anyone but their fanbase as they try to court the market. When Simon Cowell took Leona Lewis to America I thought it was too soon and considering she never really achieved much success there other than Bleeding Love, I think I was right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Hope she does a Natasha Bedingfield.