Filmnet Videocrypt 2

cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Years ago there used to be a channel on 19 east called Filmnet and it was in Videocrypt 2. What country was this channel for because it had something to do with Multichoice.

Comments

• remlapremlap Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    It was Scandinavian mate.
  • adc82140adc82140 Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the other analogue channels at 19.2 were also encrypted in Videocrypt 2- the likes of Discovery, MTV Europe etc. were simulcrypted in VC1 and VC2 so they could either be opened up with a Sky card or a Multichoice card.
  • antenna1antenna1 Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    The firmmnet you are talking about was in videocrypt 2 and was called filmnet central europe it was ok but not as good as the other filmnet Scandinavian that was on 19.2 in eurocrypt d2mac which later moved to 1w along with tv1000 and tv3 norway tv3 swenden tv3 denmark,
  • antenna1antenna1 Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    thats right is was multichoice central europe i had a kit that would convert your stand alond videocrypt 1 decoder to videocrypt 1&2
    adc82140 wrote: »
    Some of the other analogue channels at 19.2 were also encrypted in Videocrypt 2- the likes of Discovery, MTV Europe etc. were simulcrypted in VC1 and VC2 so they could either be opened up with a Sky card or a Multichoice card.
  • Mr RigsbyMr Rigsby Posts: 2,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recall a FilmNet channel transmitting on transponder 63. It was aimed at Central Europe (I believe Czech, Polish and Hungarian languages were available in audio).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other FilmNet channel was aimed at Scandinavia, and transmitted on transponder 11. It was encrypted in D2-Mac, but was previously encrypted in another format, though I cannot remember which one. It was similar to Luxcrypt that RTL4 used.
  • banbury_oddballbanbury_oddball Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm that FilmNet on transponder 11 used Satpac form of scrambling which was upgraded to include digital audio to throw some of the early pirate decoders. I believe this was dropped shortly before it changed to D2-Mac.

RTL Veronique which was later renamed RTL-4 used Luxcrypt and was very similar in the style of encryption.

As a result the later releases of the FilmNet pirate decoder also saw the inclusion of Luxcrypt to watch both channels.

For FilmNet Central Europe, yes they definitely used Videocrypt 2. With those sat receivers with built in Videocrypt decoders, you could watch for about 2 seconds before it scrambled. A kind of reverse scrambling effect for UK based receivers. Nick Germany also used Videocrypt 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember that MTV Germany could not be viewed in the UK unless you had a non-Videocrypt system!
  • cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting, I never knew that. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For FilmNet Central Europe, yes they definitely used Videocrypt 2. With those sat receivers with built in Videocrypt decoders, you could watch for about 2 seconds before it scrambled. A kind of reverse scrambling effect for UK based receivers. Nick Germany also used Videocrypt 2.

Not exactly. Nick Germany (and earlier VH1 Germany) were FTA channels, but had the encryption flag set to throw integrated receiver-decoders, as Viacom wanted you to watch the UK versions of these channels, not the German freebies. A solution I used was to route the signal via the reciever's external decoder loop with a through wired scart plug attached.

Filmnet CE wouldn't descramble at all on a standard VC1 box- you'd see what seemed to be a standard VideoCrypt scrambled picure, but there would be no "please insert card" prompt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly. Nick Germany (and earlier VH1 Germany) were FTA channels, but had the encryption flag set to throw integrated receiver-decoders, as Viacom wanted you to watch the UK versions of these channels, not the German freebies. A solution I used was to route the signal via the reciever's external decoder loop with a through wired scart plug attached.

Filmnet CE wouldn't descramble at all on a standard VC1 box- you'd see what seemed to be a standard VideoCrypt scrambled picure, but there would be no "please insert card" prompt.

Did you have a card for Filmnet CE? If so what other channels could you get with it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think MTV Europe, Discovery Channel and The Adult Channel were also encrypted with Videocrypt 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taken from Wikipedia:
    A European Multichannels package run by BSkyB also using the VideoCrypt encryption system[11] was planned to be launched soon afterwards[12], but did not come to fruition. A European package of channels called MultiChoice Kaleidoscope did launch on 1 November 1993 using VideoCrypt 2 encryption. The Multichoice service was run by South African based Network Holdings, separate from BSkyB. The Multichoice service initially included Filmnet and The Adult Channel as premium channels and The Children's Channel, Discovery and CMT Europe as basic channels.[13][14]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Rigsby wrote: »
    Taken from Wikipedia:

I like Multichoice stuff so if this was still going I would of tried to subscribe. :D I think Nova on 13e is the closest i'm going to get to it without needing a BIG dish. Just a shame the subscription is so expensive here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Multichoice available in the UK?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you have a card for Filmnet CE?

No, but they were available by means we're not supposed to talk about on DS ;)
  • alex_tsalex_ts Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTV Europe encrypted on the 3rd of July 1995, and it was not part of Multichoice.
    It was encrypted in VC1 and VC2.

In the UK it was only available with a BSkyB smartcard, decoding data on VC1.

In mainland Europe it was available on its own, with an MTV card, decoding data on VC2. It used to cost about £25 a year. A call to local MTV offices was needed in order to get the card.

However, they stopped selling MTV cards in mid '97, as the Astra analogue signal of MTV Europe was replaced by MTV UK. From that moment MTV Europe was only available on encrypted digital frequencies.

For some odd reason, or maybe just not to upset subscribers, VC2 data were not removed from MTV UK, so for almost one more full year until mid '98, MTV UK opened with a VC2 decoder, without any subscription. In mid' 98 VC2 was removed.
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick germany never used VC2 VH1 Germany did.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taken from Wikipedia:
    Rare for a Wikipedia article to actually feature references to back up what is written, but then I did do it. ;)That article could do with a second pair of eyes to ensure its factually correct and matches what the references say.

I've just wasted a couple of hours looking back at the various old bulletin board system news bulletins and reading up about Videocrypt 2 looking for references for that article. :o
  • josephcavorjosephcavor Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    I remember that MTV Germany could not be viewed in the UK unless you had a non-Videocrypt system!

MTV Germany was never scrambled but it was sent out so that UK receivers with Videocrypt would scramble the picture.
    Those with separate Videocrypt simply disconnected the decoder
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That article could do with a second pair of eyes to ensure its factually correct and matches what the references say.

Seems to make sense to me- just one point of information- I dont think VH1 Europe ever launched an analogue service on Eutelsat IIF1, but I remember MTV Europe well- I think that on encryption this became MTV Central Europe, which ironically is now FTA digital at 19.2. There was very early on a digital FTA service on Hotbird 1 called VH1 Export.
  • alex_tsalex_ts Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm for sure, VH1 Europe was never on 13° East.
    It was initially (1994) only available in the UK at 19° East through BSkyB, and then a digital service started in 1995 as VH1 Export (i.e. the same as the UK, without UK adverts).
    In 2002 the channel split between VH1 UK and VH1 European.
    So, originally it was a UK channel, and only in 2002 a european version has been created.

When VH1 Germany launched in 1995, it was available FTA 24h-a-day for a couple of months on 13° East, and eventually replaced by a digital multiplex (mentioned above) from MTV Networks Europe, which is still available on 13° East.
    Later it was only available on 19° East, FTA on analogue from 2000 CET to midnight and as a digital encrypted service for 24 hours a day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say, all this talk about MTV, VH1 etc is bring back some very good memories of the good old Sky analogue days!
  • SteSte Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTV Germany was never scrambled but it was sent out so that UK receivers with Videocrypt would scramble the picture.
    Those with separate Videocrypt simply disconnected the decoder

Im not sure if I remember this right, but i'm sure for these channels I could tune the frequency out by a few Mhz and get to clear these channels even though my receiver had videocrypt built in.
  • kosmos5457kosmos5457 Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the old Filmnet was scandinavian. There is a site called tv-ark about it. You can download certain recordings from the likes of Filmnet and Premiere from there.

I'm only 22 by the way so don't remember a lot about the satellite system my parents had when I was growing up. I know that we had a huge motorised dish in the back garden and we got channels from a few different satellites. Once had to go on a trip to Llanrwst to get the decoder fixed.

Filmnet is was on the greek pay tv subscription service called Nova.

Maybe someone can help me on here with something though. I used to watch a tv channel on satellite, it was of a cartoon called Bouli, it was about a snowman and most likely in french. Anyone heard of it, and if anyone has, what channel would it have most likely been on?

Thanks.