Xbox Live HDMI TV passthrough

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Is not working for a friend they have a V+ Virgin Box and it works but when he turns the box off and back on, it stops working, and only works again when he physically turn the plug off and back on again.

Any possible reason for this?

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The TV functionality is for the USA only at the moment. Compatability with UK TV equipment is next to non-existent. Unless I was short of HDMI sockets I wouldn't even bother plugging a TV box into Xbox One.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The TV functionality is for the USA only at the moment. Compatability with UK TV equipment is next to non-existent. Unless I was short of HDMI sockets I wouldn't even bother plugging a TV box into Xbox One.

But how come it works when I turn the plugs off and on at the mains?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The One Guide is useless here, but the actual passthrough itself still works full-screen and snapped and is quite handy.
  • TurbsTurbs Posts: 7,055
    Forum Member
    I can get a picture but no sound with my V+ box for some reason through the xbox. Havent tried it with my Tivo box yet though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Sky+HD box works fine.

Sadly, Mrs D does not like the idea of having to use two boxes instead of one just to watch TV, nor does she want to "talk to it" or use an extra controller.

... So I've swapped it with the Apple TV (which also works fine through the passthrough). Not as handy as using the Sky, but I needed to plug something in there as I have 4 things that use HDMI and only 3 sockets.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Turbs wrote: »
    I can get a picture but no sound with my V+ box for some reason through the xbox. Havent tried it with my Tivo box yet though.

Doesn't work at all with tivo. We tried it last night
  • sandman112sandman112 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Doesn't work at all with tivo. We tried it last night

worked fine with my tivo, had it plugged in for a few hours when i first set it up, ok so you can't change channels or anything with it but you can just say 'xbox watch tv' and it goes right to TV then you use the tivo remote as usual

for now its back to normal though, the snap feature is not very usable to be honest, might be handy if you were watching a football match or something that didn't really need your full attention. might think about putting it back in if they ever get round to introducing the full features that US services have
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Anyone noticed that the Xbox One displays everything at 60Hz, and UK TV broadcasts at 50Hz?

The result is juddery pictures via the pass-through, especially while watching sport - the football on Saturday was a mess to watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Anyone noticed that the Xbox One displays everything at 60Hz, and UK TV broadcasts at 50Hz?

The result is juddery pictures via the pass-through, especially while watching sport - the football on Saturday was a mess to watch.

Yup. Same with 360.

I expected a better kinda hz rate on the Xbox One (Blu Rays can be played at 24hz) and the result is juddery picture but watchable.

Surely it can't be hard for them to put a 50hz option in a patch update? Would make Netflix a bit more watchable for others.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Have the sky HD box plugged into mine at it works brilliantly. Was watching master chef on catch up last night and received a skype call, after saying 'Xbox answer' i was instantly in a call. The other half loves it aswell. Being able to switch between netflix and tv instantly is a great feature for her.

Not sure if I'd use the xbox guide if it does come in a future patch for Virgin and sky boxes, i like it just the way it is.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    Have the sky HD box plugged into mine at it works brilliantly. Was watching master chef on catch up last night and received a skype call, after saying 'Xbox answer' i was instantly in a call. The other half loves it aswell. Being able to switch between netflix and tv instantly is a great feature for her.

Not sure if I'd use the xbox guide if it does come in a future patch for Virgin and sky boxes, i like it just the way it is.

Must admit it does sound good. Flicking between things instantly would suit my impatient nature, I can stand in queue in at Tesco for ages but if I decide to stop watching tv and play a game, it's a right process at the moment.

Quick question, the snap feature, does that only work with the game disc in the drive, unless you bought it digitally?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandman112 wrote: »
    worked fine with my tivo, had it plugged in for a few hours when i first set it up, ok so you can't change channels or anything with it but you can just say 'xbox watch tv' and it goes right to TV then you use the tivo remote as usual

Thats entirely useless :confused:.
    He4rt wrote: »

It will be useful if you can control it entirely without your TV remote. No doubt if you not on Sky or virgin you'll be stuffed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i saw a youtube vid of someone playing killzone shadowfall on the xbox1 using the hdmi input thing
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »
    i saw a youtube vid of someone playing killzone shadowfall on the xbox1 using the hdmi input thing

Its just a pass through, you could put any HDMI through it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its just a pass through, you could put any HDMI through it.

gotta say thats a really cool feature

can ps4 do that? hope so
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm... Is it possible to use a HDMI splitter with your Sky HD box so a signal can be sent through the X1 and another signal through my amp/TV so I can watch TV without having the X1 on but at the same time, if I'm playing the X1, I could use the snap feature to quickly look at Soccer Saturday or something?
    Forum Member
    Must admit it does sound good. Flicking between things instantly would suit my impatient nature, I can stand in queue in at Tesco for ages but if I decide to stop watching tv and play a game, it's a right process at the moment.

Quick question, the snap feature, does that only work with the game disc in the drive, unless you bought it digitally?

You can snap during any game digitally or cd bought. You can't snap games if that what you mean?

I only ever use 'snap' to bring up the activity feed or use the excellent Machinma app. Everything else is a bit poor, Netflix for example just brings up a box that says 'switch to full screen'.
    I'm also disappointed that you can't snap Sype. i thought video calling friends while gaming would be a feature i use often.
    Forum Member
    Thats entirely useless :confused:.

It will be useful if you can control it entirely without your TV remote. No doubt if you not on Sky or virgin you'll be stuffed.

Voice or even hand movements to navigate the sky menus would be awkward.I like being in a game and saying 'Xbox go to TV' then i pick up the remote and its business as usual. If i fancy playing a game with friends i simply say 'Xbox snap activity feed' then the tv tells me who is online and what they are doing without leaving my Sky feed.

It'll take some getting used to, especially as i have a 5 year old daughter who is also getting used to the system, but i honestly think I'll be using the tv though my xbox for the foreseeable future. I didn't think i would before i tried it.
  • IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »
    gotta say thats a really cool feature

can ps4 do that? hope so

As far as I know the PS4 doesn't support HDMI passthrough.
    OMTT wrote: »
    Hmmmm... Is it possible to use a HDMI splitter with your Sky HD box so a signal can be sent through the X1 and another signal through my amp/TV so I can watch TV without having the X1 on but at the same time, if I'm playing the X1, I could use the snap feature to quickly look at Soccer Saturday or something?

I'm pretty sure you can do this, I'm getting a splitter for my Sky box so will post back with the results when it arrives.

I've got a HDMI 3 port switch already on the Xbox One so I can plug in multiple devices at once and switch between them.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Cool, look forward to hearing how you get on. I don't want to have to turn the X1 on to watch the TV all the time but at the same time, it would be a handy feature so I could hear the football scores or have a music station from Sky playing in the background
    Forum Member
    RangersFan wrote: »
    Yup. Same with 360.

I expected a better kinda hz rate on the Xbox One (Blu Rays can be played at 24hz) and the result is juddery picture but watchable.

Surely it can't be hard for them to put a 50hz option in a patch update? Would make Netflix a bit more watchable for others.

Less of an issue on 360 due to a lack of a HDMI pass-through.

Suffice to say that when I get my HDMI splitter, Xbox One will be relegated to Input 4.

Not only is the picture upscaled to 60Hz, but the picture quality is degraded as well. HD channels look like SD++ in quality, I'm sure the picture is darker as well, as if the blacks are being crushed. The Verge mentioned this in their XB1 review.

Plus you have DD 5.1 sound missing in action when the audio is sent via optical cable. Sure, DD gets converted to DTS, but I'd rather have the sound unmolested thanks.

So, this media-hub is messing about with both picture AND sound passed through it. XB1 should be improving my media experience, not degrading it. Hopefully the next firmware upgrade fixes these issues, because the lack of 50Hz especially is gonna get noticed as XB1 rolls out through the rest of Europe next year.
    Forum Member
    Xbox One TV Integration Broken For UK & Europe: Sky (and other sources) 50Hz Stutter
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/xbox-50hz-201311233468.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking out loud about how the TV thing could theoretically work in future in the UK, beyond even how the "One Guide" currently works in the US...

Sky and Virgin both have mobile apps available that allow you to use your phone or tablet to control a Sky+HD box / VM TiVo, and access the EPG to view listings / change channels / set recordings, and access the planner to see what has been recorded and choose to playback something...

Now imagine if Sky and VM made similar apps for the Xbox One? You could view the Sky+HD/TiVo output through the passthrough, and then use the app on the Xbox One (with voice control of course) to *fully* control the STB... Much better than having the Kinect act as an IR blaster for basic stuff and still needing the Sky remote.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    We have an idea portal at work so will pass that along. You never know 💡
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the pass-through functionality enforces 60hz, so there can be noticeable frame-dropping or 'judder' on movement of video content fed through HDMI pass-through for PAL legacy territories, where broadcasts are still 50hz -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721891

I guess this is enforced because otherwise any transitions between functions would not be smooth (the TV itself might have a brief 'blackout' switching modes). I don't know how this could be fixed without either dropping the console's refresh to 50hz globally (not ideal), or offering the option to accept a brief delay in switching from game (60hz) to TV (50hz) input?