Options

5.1/DTS surround sound blu ray audio

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,734
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone a fan of or have surround systems for surround sound audio?

Talking about albums remixed for multi-channel surround sound 5.1/DTS.

Been around for 10 - 15 years or so now...my first one was Queen's Night Of the Opera. I find the better the original production, the better the 5.1 mix. And Queen albums always had superb production so if mixed properly they should always sound good in surround.

The Prophets Song is probably the best demo you could give to anyone for a surround sound experience, with those multi-tracked voices.

But though not that many, there are a quite a few surround mixes of original albums available. Mostly on blu ray these days, but also on other formats such as SACD etc.

I am tempted to get Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road in 5.1...even if only for the majestic opener Love Lies Bleeding/Funeral For a Friend, but it's a great album anyway.

Also really like Mike Oldfields Ommadawn...one of the best chillout albums ever, and thankfully the person doing the surround mix resisted the temptation to mess about and pan everything around the speakers, but just open out the sound and let the instruments breathe and be heard.

Comments

• Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Grateful Dead album on DVD audio with 5.1 and David Grey and Four Seasons. Think the four seasons is my favourite. Feels like one is in the middle of the orchestra.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm into multichannel music, but unfortunately, it does seem to be a bit of a niche interest. The results are varied, but if done well it can bring a new and pleasurable experience to listening to your favourite music.

Have got several SACD's and DVD-Audio's, mostly from my all-time favourite group, Depeche Mode. Think there is a version of all of their studio albums (apart from Delta Machine) in some kind a multichannel format. Also have multichannel music from The Art Of Noise, Propaganda, Rebecca Pidgeon, Missy Elliott & Richie Hawtin.